Mickey DR or Hoosiers

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by sgoyal, Mar 25, 2016.

1. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I already have Nitto 555R and I will keep those for my daily driving or weekend driving. But I'm thinking to buy an extra set for some track fun. I've been debating between Hoosiers and MT DR.

Atlanta Dragway is around 30 minutes away from my place so any input would be appreciated. (AL DSS is on the way)

2. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have no experience with the Hoosiers but have several friends that race at the track with me that have Hoosiers and like them. I use the MT ET II streets and have always had great luck with them. If you stay with a 20" wheel get the 305/35/20....if you use an 18" wheel get the new 305/45/18 ET Street "R"....

• Like Like x 1
  3. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am planning to use 17X9 Cobra wheel or get weld wheel.. But I'm leaning towards Cobra wheel since I saw so many challenger guys were using that on the strip.

4. TNCHARGER

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I tried 17 " and 18" wheels and my 2013 SRT 426 stroker turned better ETs and was more consistent with 18" wheels and 28" diameter tires...

5. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You're crazy if you put that cobra wheel on your Hellcat. The bolt pattern is not right and I am thinking it is cast? Yes it has been done lots of times. I know.

Are you talking about Hoosier Slicks or Hoosier DOT Drag Radials? The Hoosier slicks will be faster. But the Hoosier DOT Drag Radials are forbidden for street driving where as the MT's are allowed for street driving.

If it were my car I would use a Weld RTS S71B 17X8 with the Hoosier 10X28X17 Slick. That would be the absolute fastest setup and it would be safe. You can get that wheel in a +18 offset and in that case it might not need the shorter sway bar links. You could also use the S77B if you like that better.

If you want a Drag Radial I would go with an 18 since there are way more choices for tires. Summit has the Weld RTS S71B in a 18X10 +28 in stock (no 3 week wait). Then I would run an ET Street "R" 305/45R18. That tire rocks.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dragrcr.... I've dropped that idea... Looking at Bravado (only for drag) or Weld RTS.. .

Also, I'm looking at both Hoosiers option. I've no intention to drive Hoosier on the street. But I'm not sure if we can put Hoosier DOT rated in our car without any modification.

7. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Also, if I was going to run that ET Street "R" 305/45R18 and I was not going to run the Weld Wheels, and you had to have something cheap, then I would put that tire on a Bravado Tribute 18X10 wheel. But only for drag racing. NO hard cornering with that wheel on a Hellcat. That wheel is hubcentric and the correct bolt pattern and is super good quality cast wheel. I have had 2 sets and they always looked great.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Be careful if you go the slick route... especially if you run on a "Street Night" as many tracks won't allow slicks and it must be a DOT rated tire. Also... if you run a slick... the track may look at it differently and say you need a roll bar... from what I've read some tracks are funny that way. Good Luck.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have not looked in a while. But as far as Hoosier DOT Drag Radial there was only one I was looking at and it was 30" tall. I would think it should fit as the ET Street R is 29.1" tall and it has a lot of clearance all the way around. Pics are of the 305/45R18 that is 29.1" tall on the Bravado Wheel.

I also would not run the 30" Hoosier unless I had the 3.09 Diff. I have had the Hoosiers years ago on My Valiant and that was my Preference, just so you know. But the MT "R"s are probably just as good.

DSCN1623.JPG DSCN1624.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's the reason I was looking at Hoosier DOT Rated tire but Not sure if we can fit 325/45 18 in our car.

Update:
    Posted before looking at dragrcr pictures.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Looks like I'll order the MT and Bravado for this season and once I get more comfortable, I'll look into Hoosier
    Are you still running Bravado or moved to Weld Wheel?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  12. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Those pics are of a regular SRT 485 HP. I personally would not run the Bravado either if I had the money for a Forged wheel. These pics I just took for you. They are of the ET Street "R" 305/45R18 on a 18X10.5 +25 wheel. I think that P325/45R18 Hoosier might rub on the inside of the wheel tub. Especially if you put it on the Weld Wheel with the +28 offset. It's like, 1" wider section width but on a 1" wider wheel. I don't know, there is actually quite a bit of clearance on my current setup.

If you REALLY want a big tire I would try it. The Hoosier P325/45R18 on the Weld RTS S71B 18X10 +28. Like I said, summit shows the wheel in stock which is rare.

. DSCN1995.JPG DSCN1997.JPG DSCN1999.JPG

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Also, keep in mind that Bravado wheel is +20 offset. Not, +25 or +28.............

. DSCN1626.JPG

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. TNCHARGER

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The 325/45/18 recommends a 12" wheel...That will be hard to do and will probably have rubbing issues....the MT 305/45/18 "R" proved itself to me and many others last year at the strip. We have members here cutting a 1.4xx sixty ft with the MT 305.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Everybody is so eager to throw a wrench into the project. The Hoosier P325/45R18 says it can go on a 10-12" wheel with the measuring rim being an 11". So if you put that tire on a 10" rim it will pull the section width number down a bit. So actual section width on a 10" rim will be something like 12.7". The MT is 11.8 so it is .9" wider at the bulge and you need to half that. So it would be .45".Plus you need .12 for the additional 3 mm offset total of .57" . . . . . If I was ambitious I would go down and do a bunch of measuring. Hmmmm, be right back.......

I think it is possible it will rub on the plastic wheel tub a little. But it won't be massive. I am thinking would not even rub drag racing and an easy drive back to the pits.

• Useful Useful x 1