Mid Muffler Delete Problem...Please help.

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Kaneda, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Kaneda

Kaneda BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey guys...first off, the mid muffler delete is a MUST for this car. Turned the car from a beast into a devil! Satan spawned now. But when I looked my car over a few hours after picking it up, I noticed the exhaust tips where not flush with the rear grey section that hugs the exhaust. The tips are now sticking out about an inch. Annoying. See photos.

My question is this...can they move the exhaust back without having to cut anything over again? I don't want to pay AGAIN for this mod. And for those of you who have done this, how can I instruct them how to avoid this? Should they have the muffler lined up flush then do the first weld? I'm so confused as to how this happened. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_4126.JPG

IMG_4124.JPG

2. Kaneda

Kaneda BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Here is what it looked like before, you can see its flush with the grey bumper. 562.JPG 436.JPG

562.JPG

3. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I see what you mean. However, that actually may be a blessing in disquise. I don't think it looks at all bad, even though it's not flush it still looks comparably good to the factory fit, but now you'll have less exhaust soot settling on the surrounding grey/black area and license plate. I wouldn't worry about it, only a person that owns one would have a chance of noticing, as it still looks 'factory' for those without a `cat of their own parked next to yours to compare.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WNY Cat

WNY Cat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The factory tips can be swiveled around but not moved in or out. I would take it back if it bothers you.

5. Kaneda

Kaneda BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah but I don't like the way it looks sticking out. Doesn't look clean at all. Looks much nicer flush. So does anyone know if there's a way to move it back with the bracket that holds the exhaust in place or do they have to cut the pipe again?

6. Kaneda

Kaneda BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's what I get for going to Meineke....I'm just confused though...how did this happen? Don't they cut and install the pipe first when the exhaust is still on the bracket? Or did they lower the exhaust out completely first and then cut it? But then it would be in two pieces and impossible to get right. Thoughts? Yes, it does bother me.

7. Hellcatmichael

Hellcatmichael SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'd say it's a hack job and not becoming of a $70k but that's just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. WNY Cat

WNY Cat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have heard of several different ways to do it. Some guys didn't drop the system at all. I don't know how they get a good weld on top doing it that way. I'm still looking for a shop to have mine done but I will make sure to tell them about the exhaust tip alignment before they start.

9. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This happens when they mistakenly change the length of either side, relative to the other and the hangers on the rear, and the cat attachments in the front. You have torsion stress issues welds will seperate as the exhaust flexes under load and body twist. Sine of poor job and approach. (It was done on car and piss poor. )

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The way it happens is they cut both sides 1st. WRONG! Then you don't have factory geometry on either side.

Cut one side. Then tack weld it aligning on car with other side not cut. To ensure geometry. Then finish side. Then proceed to 2nd side and repeat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. TallCool1

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    And Kaneda lords sakes don't pay a penny more. They owe you a fix. And it needs it trust me seen this a lot. Not fixed you'll loose a weld have leaks etc.

12. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Cut both sides, prefit pipe, put pipe stands under exhaust, line up tips where you want them, up, down, left, right, in, out. Then weld exhaust.
    That's the way I did mine. That way you can even tuck the tips tighter if you want.

You cannot shorten the exhaust without cutting and rewelding.

13. Wayne

Wayne Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I can't state an opinion on the exhaust, but I've got to tell you, the white with Brass Monkey wheels looks nice!

• Like Like x 1
  14. TallCool1

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I prefer leaving 1 side alone to have a reference from factory. I seperate tip adjustments.

Many ways to do it right clearly this wasn't. Mounts and anchors weren't moved so something is tweaked and under stress, now or will be under load.

15. Kaneda

Kaneda BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What do you mean by mounts and anchors weren't moved?