Mileage expectation on delivery

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by Bananahead, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Bananahead

Bananahead Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My Hellcat should be delivered to my dealer in two weeks. After reading everything here about break-in periods and the fact that the car should/must be treated gently for the first 500 miles, and especially the first 50 miles, I am somewhat concerned about the dealer taking the car out for 'test drives' before I take delivery.

Maybe I'm nuts, but the temptation to the sales people at the dealer to take the car for a quick spin must be overwhelming. Does this ever happen? I know that if I were given the chance to take a beast like the Hellcat around the block, I would be pretty heavy on the pedal. Otherwise, why bother?

Is this really something I need to worry about? Should I say something to the sales manager about my expectations of how the car is treated before I can get there? How many miles should I expect on the car on delivery? I have been tracking it, they drive it onto a rail car, a couple of trucks and to the dealer so I can see 2-5 miles maybe, is that realistic?

What if if has 20 or more?

Am I just being stupid?

2. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I made it clear to the dealer that my car better not have more then 12 miles total. I was there for the inspection and the test drive. I went along to ensure my investment was not abused. Your car, your call.

3. macden

macden SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine had 8. The manager parked it in the corner and kept the keys on him until I got there. He even made me move it into the service area to change the lug nuts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Odin

Odin Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine had 1 mile on it when it arrived. The dealer called me the day it arrived and wanted me to go with the tech for the initial test drive. He knew how much the car meant to both my wife and I. There was constant communication throughout the whole process of ordering, allocation, build, etc. I also communicated my expectations with him. I would go to the dealership in person and talk to them about your expectations in regards to delivery.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Akula

Akula VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    8 on mine.

6. Tjf2000

Tjf2000 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    8 on mine

Attached Files:

7. Hellcat83

Hellcat83 Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Mine had 4, but with that being said........If it had had 50, I'd have taken it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Profezzor X

Profezzor X Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Good question... Makes me wonder how many miles are acceptable on a showroom car?

Granted, it's in a public area where there will be lots of potential buyers giving the car the once over, and pretending to be interested just so they too can go for a spin. But for a serious buyer, how many miles should a showroom car have before you decide: A) appreciate that you can just get your hands on one, and settle for it no matter what. Or B) use those added miles on the car as leverage over the dealer to get a better deal... Of course with that, there's a guarantee there will possibly be hard miles, and or paint scratches, given the number of people getting in and out of it, as well as people brushing up against it.

9. kenhebe

kenhebe Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My expectations are to turn in my 392, give the dealer some money, get the key to my Hellcat and do a big smokey burnout in their parking lot.

10. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    5 on mine

11. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine had 8 when it arrived at the dealership and 13 when I picked it up after PDI.

The dealership where I got mine only allowed the PDI tech and the sales guy to drive the car around at all. If something happens to the car before you sign on the dotted line it's on the dealers dime. They don't want that. I'm sure there are cases where these cars get abused by morons but I think that is probably more the exception than the rule.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    mine only had 11 on it when I found it sitting on a lot in Philadelphia back in January.. when I take it for service i don't care who gets to drive it in n out of service bays.. in fact i enjoy seeing the smiles when i hand over the red key to the young service rep.. no worries here of them doing anything while im there.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm the same way. I've brought my car into my local dealer a couple of times for some minor cosmetic stuff (flaking chrome on exhaust tip and a piece of plastic trim that has a mark on it). I give them the red key (actually mine is a lime green key because I have a green silicone cover over the red key LOL) ... They totally dig the car and treat it with respect. They always have a couple of Hellcats there (new, delivery or service). The tech (who I like very much) always finds me to say high and shoot the breeze for a couple of minutes.

They can also appreciate how nice my car is (it's always spotless) and I think because of that they are extra careful.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Steveb

Steveb Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine had 8 at the dealer, but my wife had the dealer deliver it to me as a surprise, so it had 42 total. But she was clear, if the car feels anyway that it was rose hard on the way she would rip up the check. I felt it personally very important to get one that hadn't been driven. Because of it's been driven, it's been hard miles.

15. cruizinrc

cruizinrc HCC New Jersey State President Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine had 4 miles never moved more then two bays to be cleaned then went back in hiding spot was way in back of dealer no one knew it was there
    Ron

• Agree Agree x 1