Mission Raceway & NHRA Rules for OEM tires

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by CDNHellcat, Jul 1, 2015.

1. CDNHellcat

CDNHellcat Silver Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If any of you Hellcat owners are having the same issue as me about OEM spec tires, please tell me what you did and if you are local I suggest you express your concern to Mission Raceway as well.

Below is what I sent to Mission to express my frustration over their in-consistency.

I would like to bring to your attention the in-consistency with your staff at tech for Friday night Street Legal's. I have been going for close to 5 years now racing my Dodge Challenger and recently I purchased a Challenger Hellcat. Before going to the track I reviewed the NHRA rules for 2008 and newer vehicles that are OEM to ensure I was compliant.

I took my vehicle through tech with a set of Nitto NT05R Drag radials and discussed what the NHRA rules were as it reflects to OEM. I was allowed to race with the tires and had a good and safe night.

I attend Street legal's two weeks later and a different tech had an argument stating that my Nitto's are not OEM.

I appreciate that there are liability concerns and tech is for safety but at the same time your tech staff leave a lot to be desired on what they classify or understand to be OEM. I called the NHRA and asked for their interpretation as it relates to 2008 newer OEM vehicles for tires. My argument is if my Pirelli tires wear out and they are no long available to buy and I buy a different brand of tire is my vehicle no longer considered to be OEM. According to NHRA no as long as the tire is a DOT approved tire. I can have a different brand of tire as long as it has DOT certification meeting OEM standards. This is no different than if my OEM ball joint was to wear out and I purchase a replacement OEM Moog ball joint, different brand but OEM as It meets the Original Equipment manufacturer standard (OEM).

The standard for a tire to be on a roadway is to have the DOT certification which is used by manufacturers as certification that all United States safety standards have been met for that tire.

Your tech's that are saying it has to be the exact same tire to be blunt is both un-educated and ignorant.

I pay to race a Mission Raceway, I sign a liability waiver and I'm following NHRA rules to go and try and have a fun night. I raced with my Pirelli tires that quite frankly was far more dangerous than my drag radials. The Nitto NT05R, NT555R, Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial II are all DOT approved tires the same as my current Pirelli P Zero tires.

I request that you review and seek your own clarity as it relates to the 2008 newer vehicles and define what OEM specifications means for your techs as it relates to tires. You are the only drag strip in the area that has taken this harsh stance which I am un-certain as to why. At the end it is your choice on how you interpret the rules but you will lose me and many others as a result not fully reviewing what is acceptable elsewhere.

• Like Like x 5
  2. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Where do I sign it?

3. CDNHellcat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks, nothing to really sign. I have heard back from the Track but they are still discussing. The NHRA senior Tech for the West Coast said this;

What I was trying to explain to ***** was that a racer could replace their OEM tires with another brand but it would basically have to be the same size as OEM requires (check the sticker on the door post) and the same type of tire, that being a street type tire that you would normally use on the street. In other words if the car came with Pirelli's you could replace them with a same size Michelin, Good Year, etc.

To my knowledge a DOT slick has never been offered as a street tire on any new car and as such the tire would not be legal under the 2008 and later
    rules.

My concern with this response is that the tech is either UN-educated or not current on tire technology. He lumps a drag radial and a slick into the same category which is not the case.

It is evident in the comment of never seeing a DOT slick on a new vehicle. The new NHRA rules are extremely vague as it relates to what OEM means and is hugely dependent and each techs interpretation.

4. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Next time you go through tech have the OEM tires on and change them out after getting approved, this is why the NHRA has lost racers because of Aholes in their ranks.
    TC

5. pink68

pink68 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The NT05R™ is a D.O.T.-compliant competition drag radial designed for serious drag racing enthusiasts. The tire's specialized race compound and large contact patch were engineered to provide maximum traction and promote even pressure distribution across the tread. The enhanced sidewall construction provides longitudinal launch traction while maintaining stability throughout the pass. You’ll get off the line quickly and down the track with speed and consistency.

The NT05R™ is recommended for dry competition use.

Nowhere in there does it indicate OEM replacement. In FACT it says "recommended for dry competition use". Just because it is DOT compliant doesn't equal OEM replacement. I would tech you out. NHRA had ruled for safety and the original tire is a limiter for the cars et. They know this. IHRA tracks were much easier about this back in the day but litigation has grown rampant.

6. Chippy

Chippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't think I would be able to hold back throat punching that loser.

7. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What tire was used in the NHRA certification runs?

TC

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. LaserDoc

LaserDoc Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nitto 305's 555r

9. Top Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Exactly, a DOT drag radial.....
    TC

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You need to drive one on stock tires to see that they aren't as safe as a DOT drag radial.

11. CDNHellcat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Too many techs have a poor understanding of tires. On the market today are;

Drag slicks, bias ply
    DOT drag slicks bias ply
    DOT Drag Radials

Since many techs have a poor understanding of tires and instead of being brand specific they should define specs to what is approved.

Pink68 your response is the prime example as again it is set to your interpretation. Out of curiosity the hell cat has two types of tires one summer and the other all season.

The rule says OEM. When a tire wears out and you need to replace it you are looking for OEM spec or better. I didn't create the vague rule NHRA did. If you want a rule that is meant for safety I would suggest the following,

1. OEM tire must be DOT
    2. OEM tire must be a radial tire as bias ply is not an industry standard.
    3. OEM tire must have a weight load factor equivalent or higher than marked on the vehicle. In the Hellcat case that is 882 lbs.
    4. OEM must notrotrude past wheel well.

Having gone down the track in both types of tires the simple fact is the drag radial is far safer than my all season tire. My understanding is the rules are meant for safety. So if you step back explain how having an OEM drag radial is unsafe as compared to an all season.

12. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I call it small penis syndrome .Some people get a little authority and they try to overcompensate for what they're lacking in the way it sounds pink might have the same problem.The lack of common sense!

13. Dances With Empties

Dances With Empties Gold Member

Where rednecks are nervous of hillbillies
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I second the "throat punch"... Meeting adjourned.:D

D!ckless wonders... Lots of them over here!

14. pink68

pink68 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Fast Cat. I have raced cars much faster than your hellcat will ever be. I still have a car that runs 10.25/135 without the fogger.

I have run up against the tech issue many times as I don't have a 9.90 license. The 68 runs 135 like a clock and many time this has been a problem for some tracks as its a threshold mph.

All I was trying to say about the OEM tire is that all race tracks are privately owned. Most follow NHRA rules as a means to stay inside the envelope of responsibility for a wreck. No track is impressed by a hellcat. They are wary of a car that can run a big number like the HC can though when almost none of them have any safety equipment. No cage, shutoff, fuel rollover, loop etc.

I get it when it is presented that a drag radial is as safe or more than the original tire. That same drag radial though will allow the huge hp OEM
    car to run fast enough to push the safety envelope. For the private track owner that may be enough of an issue to tech inspect a car more tightly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. pink68

pink68 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Fast Cat, my car raced on Pinks. Good enough? Sonoma Raceway CA. S. Alguire as the driver. It won the grudge against a silver Chevy.