SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Motor oil

25K views 98 replies 29 participants last post by  392 
#1 ·
What brand motor oil do you use.

#36 ·
Schedule isn't released yet. But I will once it is released. Will either do Laguna Seca or Virginia International Raceway, depending on where in the country I'm at, at the time.

Schedule will be up here when available:

SRT TRACK EXPERIENCE driveSRT

#38 ·
Not sure where in Michigan you're at, but they've done the SRT Track Experience at Michigan International Speedway in the past. Being Michigan, I'm sure they'll do it again this year.

#40 ·
Do you get to drive hellcats? According to SRT website you drive SRT cars not your own. I was going to sign up and pay (Canada) but once I saw that it changed things.

#43 ·
Yes, in the past you got to drive Challenger, Charger, 300 and Jeep GC. Ride alongs were given at the end in various cars and some got to ride in a race-ready Viper. Not sure if they're going to let you drive Hellcats -- would be nice for Hellcat owners though!

Reactions: 630
#45 ·
I have all ready did my first oil change. Did it right after 500 miles. I now run Royal Purple straight 40 weight in my Hellcat. I also use AMSOIL. Not a fan of the Pennzoil Ultra TM Synth, but I do line Shell gasoline(Shell owns and makes Pennzoil). Still would use Mobil 1 if I had to.

#52 ·
Royal P 0W40 is only SM certified (2010 engines and earlier) and no Chrysler spec.
Amsoil doesnt even have 0W40 listed
Mobil 1 0W40 meets many manufacturers specs but Chrysler not listed.
Pennzoil Ultra and Ultra platinum are the only ones that meet
Chrysler MS-12633 as recommended. Looks to me that they are all about the same price if that is even a consideration. Some companies are more about the marketing than the actual engineering or producing. I know what I will be running if the kitty ever gets here.
Pennzoil works with SRT brand on specialized motor oil blend. driveSRT News

#53 · (Edited)
The way I read page 484 of the owners manual Mobil 1 0W40 should be fine as long as it is current SN rated version...

I don't have a Hellcat yet but when I get mine I'll just use the SRT Pennzoil 0W40 with an SRT filter (made by Wix and a good filter) and save the receipts.

Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only
recommends full synthetic engine oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) categories of SN.

The manufacturer recommends the use of Pennzoil Ultra™ 0W-40 engine or equivalent MOPAR® oil meeting the Chrysler Material Standard MS-12633 for use in all operating temperatures

Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed.

#59 ·
The way I read page 484 of the owners manual Mobil 1 0W40 should be fine as long as it is current SN rated version...

I don't have a Hellcat yet but when I get mine I'll just use the SRT Pennzoil 0W40 with an SRT filter (made by Wix and a good filter) and save the receipts.

Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only
recommends full synthetic engine oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) categories of SN.

The manufacturer recommends the use of Pennzoil Ultra™ 0W-40 engine or equivalent MOPAR® oil meeting the Chrysler Material Standard MS-12633 for use in all operating temperatures

Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed.
I was checking out these WIX filters, there appears to be 2 different ones, the 57899 and 57899XP, which would you use?

#54 ·
Reactions: Sublime 70 and 630
#55 ·
#56 ·
Are you seeing any advantages running to royal purple???? The reason I ask is I ran it in my twin turbo cobra to help bring down operating temps..and did you change the oil yourself on the hellcat
Temps have ran in a better range since the switch to RP. I had a dealership do my oil change and I brought my own oil. They use to use any filters you would supply also until a tech overcranked and double gasketed my 2014 SRT8 and gave me a major oil leak. No doubts, this could have ended badly for both parties.

#57 ·
Royal P 0W40 is only SM certified (2010 engines and earlier) and no Chrysler spec.
Amsoil doesnt even have 0W40 listed
Mobil 1 0W40 meets many manufacturers specs but Chrysler not listed.
Pennzoil Ultra and Ultra platinum are the only ones that meet
Chrysler MS-12633 as recommended. Looks to me that they are all about the same price if that is even a consideration. Some companies are more about the marketing than the actual engineering or producing. I know what I will be running if the kitty ever gets here.
Pennzoil works with SRT brand on specialized motor oil blend. driveSRT News
I am 100% confident that the Royal Purple will work better than the Pennzoil and cause no negative issues. You can buy straight 40 weight AMSOIL from a company that advertises in MOPAR NOW. Lethal Performance out of San Antonio, but you must buy in bulk.

#58 ·
A little cool for straight 40 here in anything. I wonder how it flows in the cold when it its 40 grade at 100C. I would want to be 100% positive that I am not going to be denied warranty for not using the proper grade or the proper API certification. If by some rare chance I will need it. Ill use the Pennzoil.

#62 · (Edited)
I always do my own because I enjoy working on my cars but I think $99 is a fair deal as long as the person doing the work is careful and conscientious. If they use the proper 0W40 oil (ask don't assume they will) that is $60 give or take ($10 quart x 6) and a filter (probably $4 their cost for a Mopar filter but figure $10 or 12 our cost for an SRT or premium Wix type filter). Then $30 to $40 in labor for what is probably 20 to 30 minutes work.

I think it is fair.

#63 ·
I always do my own because I enjoy working on my cars but I think $99 is a fair deal as long as the person doing the work is careful and conscientious. If they use the proper 0W40 oil (ask don't assume they will) that is $60 give or take ($10 quart x 6) and a filter (probably $ their cost but figure $10 or 12 our cost). Then $30 to $40 in labor for what is probably 20 to 30 minutes work.

I think it is fair.
True, It is not bad, they do use pennzoil ultra 0-40W, I checked and the guy didn't know what filter, so I just have to assume a standard MOPAR one, then you have to figure in tax and probably the environmental fee, so I'm guessing when it is all said and done, probably around $115. I'm like you and like to do my own oil changes, just want to make sure I understand the process on this new CAT, looks like 2 drain plugs, and above and beyond that, nothing else really special about it. So if I order the oil online for around $60 and get the WIX XP filter (don't know how much, gotta check with o'reilly AP, lets say 20, pretty good savings of around 35-40.

#64 ·
One thing to keep in mind... The 6.4 has a 7 quart sump. The 6.2 has a 6 quart sump.

Make sure the dealer is charging for 6 quarts not 7 and make sure the oil change tech isn't overfilling the 6.2 with 7 quarts!!!

Anybody know the reason for the difference in the oil capacity? Did the oil pan change for some reason. Has me baffled as the majority of the changes are up top and the internals themselves really don't make a difference for capacity.

Seems like the extra quart would have been a bonus in such a high output motor.

#66 ·
One thing to keep in mind... The 6.4 has a 7 quart sump. The 6.2 has a 6 quart sump.

Make sure the dealer is charging for 6 quarts not 7 and make sure the oil change tech isn't overfilling the 6.2 with 7 quarts!!!

Anybody know the reason for the difference in the oil capacity? Did the oil pan change for some reason. Has me baffled as the majority of the changes are up top and the internals themselves really don't make a difference for capacity.

Seems like the extra quart would have been a bonus in such a high output motor.
And make sure the OIL COOLER gets drained

#69 ·
A warning for those, like me, that bought the exteneded service contract with oil changes included. I went to have a first change at 1000 miles, before long trip, and was told they cannot do it. IF you have the (I think it's called gold) contract their computer says not until 5000 miles or 5 months. Oh well everything under warranty anyway so will just wait.
So make sure you ask the finance manager (they discuss this option -- not salesman or service manager) about options, limits, rules or whatever before you decide.
Changing it yourself before the 5000/5 months does not void anything. It is just that the dealer cannot do the change because of the service contract I bought.
Sorry for being long winded on this very cold (12 deg with -5 deg wind chill) Kentucky morning.

#70 ·
Same thing happened to me when I bought a Rubicon back in '13. I bought it in Arizona and live in Texas. I took it to my local dealer 3-4 times and they always had an excuse why they couldn't service it under the service contract. Lesson learned for me. I'll never make the mistake of buying a service contract again.

#72 ·
Page 497

Change Engine Oil
The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is
time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.
Refer to “Maintenance Schedule” for further information.
NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 6,000 miles (10 000 km) or six months,
whichever occurs first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.