SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Motor Trend's Test 2014 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 VS the Dodge Hellcat Challenger 2015

4K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Carnage 
#1 ·
The first stop for our pearlescent Sublime Green Challenger Hellcat and our Silver Ice Metallic Camaro ZL1 was our test track, where we were eager to see what kind of numbers the two cars would throw down. The Camaro ZL1 was the poster child for consistency with a 3.9-second 0-60-mph run, blasting through the quarter mile in 12.2 seconds at 116.6 mph. That's fast any way you look at it, and yet the Dodge makes the Chevy feel oh so slow. Not surprisingly with more than 700 horsepower on tap and narrow 275-width Pirelli P Zero rear tires, the Challenger proved difficult to launch even with launch control enabled. The drag-race-ready Challenger's best 0-60 mph run was with a second-gear start, resulting in a 3.7-second time, and an impressive quarter-mile performance of 11.7 seconds at a stupid-fast 125.4 mph. That trap speed doesn't embarrass Camaro ZL1 owners alone, but both Nissan GT-R Nismo and Porsche 911 Turbo S owners, too.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1408_2014_chevrolet_camaro_zl1_vs_2015_dodge_challenger_srt_hellcat/

#2 ·
It's like your favorite line from a movie: Dodge makes Chevy feel oh so slow! Quote for the week! I have a work neighbor that drives an SS Camaro. He is the one I blame for all the burn outs, loud exhaust noise and racing up the hill when my boss asks if it was me. That really isn't gonna work with the Hellcat since the Camaro isn't even in the same class anymore. Waaaaaa! LOL:D

#3 ·
Haha yeah once your boss finds out you got a hellcat in the parking lot at work he will ask you first.
Did you read the line where the launch is enough to embarrass Porsche, GTRs too?:cool:

#11 ·
I work in the car business and get many car mags sent to my office. In early September, I brought this Motor Trend home with me and thought to myself that I will read it when I can. Up to that point, I kind of heard about the Hellcat but didn't really pay that much attention to it. I was more into restoring older Chevy muscle cars and didn't really't care about the newer cars coming out. On the morning of September 13th, I picked up the magazine and started reading. As soon as I finished the story on the Hellcat vs Camaro, I walked into the room where my Wife was sitting and told her emphatically "I NEED THIS CAR!". She looked at me like I was crazy (once again) and asked me why. I then proceeded to explain every detail that I read in the magazine about the Hellcat and waited for her to have that "Aha" moment and agree that I NEED this car. Well, she didn't have that "Aha" moment but told me that she'll support any decision I make. After several days of research and getting pissed off by my local Las Vegas dealers asking $20K over MSRP, on 9/17/14 I had my VON at MSRP from Bob Frederick at Columbiana CJD.

Over the next 3 months, I drove my Wife nuts since I was constantly talking about getting my Hellcat. I was also complaining about the allocation system and wondering if I would ever get my car since I was stuck in BX 'Hell" along with many other lHellcat fanatics like myself. When the second allocation came out and I was told that my Cat would get a VIN most likely sometime in 2015, I told my Wife that I am done and that I'll go buy something else, maybe the ZO6 Vette or the slower and less exciting ZL1. It was at that point my Wife said that she was concerned that if I bought something else out of frustration, I would have Hellcat envy every time I saw one on the road. She reminded me that I was a creative and determined person and that if I wanted a Cat, I should go out and hunt one down (Just one of the many reasons why I love my Wife).

It took about two weeks of Ebay lurking, Autotrader creeping and calling/emailing numerous shady dealers from across the Country to find a decent dealer in New York that had a Cat that I liked. Although they charged me slightly above MSRP ($4K over), they treated me with respect and acted like they wanted my business. Now I realize that there are some people/haters on this forum that will say that paying over MSRP encourages dealers to overcharge and I am contributing to the problem, however, I did some simple math. Was the $4K cheaper than anger management, sedatives and marital counseling that would be needed while waiting until the middle or end of 2015 for my Cat? Hell-Cat Yeah it was!

20 minutes ago I got the call from my shipping company representative who informed me that my Phantom Black Cat is getting delivered this Saturday. Since I live in Vegas, I do not have any weather concerns so my Cat does not have to wait until Spring to come out and play. My excitement is building and I'm like a little kid on Christmas eve waiting for my present to arrive.

BTW, I took a copy of that Motor Trend magazine and had it framed. That article started this all.

#12 ·
I work in the car business and get many car mags sent to my office. In early September, I brought this Motor Trend home with me and thought to myself that I will read it when I can. Up to that point, I kind of heard about the Hellcat but didn't really pay that much attention to it. I was more into restoring older Chevy muscle cars and didn't really't care about the newer cars coming out. On the morning of September 13th, I picked up the magazine and started reading. As soon as I finished the story on the Hellcat vs Camaro, I walked into the room where my Wife was sitting and told her emphatically "I NEED THIS CAR!". She looked at me like I was crazy (once again) and asked me why. I then proceeded to explain every detail that I read in the magazine about the Hellcat and waited for her to have that "Aha" moment and agree that I NEED this car. Well, she didn't have that "Aha" moment but told me that she'll support any decision I make. After several days of research and getting pissed off by my local Las Vegas dealers asking $20K over MSRP, on 9/17/14 I had my VON at MSRP from Bob Frederick at Columbiana CJD.

Over the next 3 months, I drove my Wife nuts since I was constantly talking about getting my Hellcat. I was also complaining about the allocation system and wondering if I would ever get my car since I was stuck in BX 'Hell" along with many other lHellcat fanatics like myself. When the second allocation came out and I was told that my Cat would get a VIN most likely sometime in 2015, I told my Wife that I am done and that I'll go buy something else, maybe the ZO6 Vette or the slower and less exciting ZL1. It was at that point my Wife said that she was concerned that if I bought something else out of frustration, I would have Hellcat envy every time I saw one on the road. She reminded me that I was a creative and determined person and that if I wanted a Cat, I should go out and hunt one down (Just one of the many reasons why I love my Wife).

It took about two weeks of Ebay lurking, Autotrader creeping and calling/emailing numerous shady dealers from across the Country to find a decent dealer in New York that had a Cat that I liked. Although they charged me slightly above MSRP ($4K over), they treated me with respect and acted like they wanted my business. Now I realize that there are some people/haters on this forum that will say that paying over MSRP encourages dealers to overcharge and I am contributing to the problem, however, I did some simple math. Was the $4K cheaper than anger management, sedatives and marital counseling that would be needed while waiting until the middle or end of 2015 for my Cat? Hell-Cat Yeah it was!

20 minutes ago I got the call from my shipping company representative who informed me that my Phantom Black Cat is getting delivered this Saturday. Since I live in Vegas, I do not have any weather concerns so my Cat does not have to wait until Spring to come out and play. My excitement is building and I'm like a little kid on Christmas eve waiting for my present to arrive.

BTW, I took a copy of that Motor Trend magazine and had it framed. That article started this all.
Don't you love it when your significant other is the voice of reason??? That is awesome! Congratulations!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.