Motortrend new ZL1 vs Hellcat

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Obiefox, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Obiefox

Obiefox Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    New ZL1 looks to be a nice ride, but I think this author is overplaying his hand a bit with regards to the HC. :)
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 First Look Review - Motor Trend

The old ZL1 was good for a 3.9-second sprint to 60 mph at a 12.2-second quarter mile at 116.6 mph on our test track, and we expect this lighter, more powerful car to bring those times down and that trap speed up. The old car’s 0.99 average sustained g and 24.0-second figure-eight lap time at 0.85 average g are both likely to bested, as well. The last ZL1’s 100-foot 60-to-zero stopping distance will be tough to beat, but that will probably fall, too. Given that old ZL1 was nipping at the heels of the 707-hp Dodge ChallengerHellcat on the dragstrip, this new car will likely outrun the Hellcat just as easily as it runs circles around the big coupe. Ford, if it does another Mustang GT500, will have a hell of a fight on its hands.

• Like Like x 1
  2. McLovin

McLovin Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Certainly impressive spec-wise.....but I still can't get past the looks of this thing. The grill looks like something used by spawning salmon to get around hydroelectric dams. Certainly enough frontal area to take care of the heat-soak issue.

And the rest of the design looks just way too busy for my taste. It's like the designer mistakenly wadded up his final design...threw it in the trash....then realized his mistake. So he smoothed the paper out as best he could...but unfortunately, they built it with all the paper creases still intact.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

In what world was the old ZL1 "nipping at the heels" of the Hellcat? Ridiculous... Thats why I dont read that garbage, and I go to the track for my "comparison tests"....

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hate the air vents on the inside. And the 2 bumps in the dash in front of the steering wheel. I think the Challenger's dash is perfect compared to that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. EOD HELLCAT

EOD HELLCAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Still, this is not a true comparison in reality. The Charger is a 4 door sedan that seats 5 people, and the Chally is a full size car with 2 doors that truly seats 5 people. The stang and Camaro are small sized sports coupes, and even if they beat a Hellcat; unless you are comparing how much those cars had to cut (weight), add power, and sacrifice comfort just to be a Hellcat contender. I wouldn't be surprised if FCA drops a HC power plant in a small sports coupe down the road, just to wipe any remaining grins off of Chevy, Ford, and BMW owners' faces. Just my thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. McLovin

McLovin Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    7....I believe the answer you are looking for is 7.;)

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JeffL

JeffL VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    and really it's ok. it's ok if the new ZL1 is faster. i bought the car i wanted.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. EOD HELLCAT

EOD HELLCAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    yes, you and I both. :cool:

9. natesrt

natesrt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    All of those motor trend articles I get in email are click bait. Everything will be a Hellcat killer because that's what gets someone to click the link. Until someone comes out with a factory stock car in this price range that puts out more than 707 HP, the articles will always read hellcat killer.

It's like back in the day all of them were m3 killers because that was the hot car.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    lol!

I cant stand that grill. if it were white it would look like someones hair. Whos hair does that remind you of????

[​IMG]

11. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    look at those black hellcat ripoff wheels! and the ripoff black hellcat looking hood!

12. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I didn't buy my HC to own the fastest and quickest car out there so faster cars coming out don't mean much. I do like seeing the competition among car makers as it keeps the new muscle car era fueled.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. accely

accely Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's pretty sweet looking but it screams sports car/track car. I love the hellcat challenger because it screams MUSCLE!! Stangs and Camaro's are no longer looking like the "muscle cars" they used to be.

14. Peter Gozinya

Peter Gozinya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Oooooooo. Look a brand shiny new ZL1. First mistake Chevy,it's got 640 horse. If it had 750 then we can get worried. Did any of you guys forget we were fighting it out with the ZO6??? This car has 10 less horsepower and weighs more than the Vette. It does win in the number of speeds the auto has. Look forward to seeing the real world shootouts. The Hellcat is still the target they are trying to take down. Hellcat killer??? How has it even earned that moniker?? Some millennial tool writing an article that is a 20 something year old virgin living in Mom's basement. Yeah he knows about killing Hellcats, probably has a cat for pet.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Peter Gozinya

Peter Gozinya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I like all the media pictures I am seeing for new Camaros. I love the car with the lime green paint up and blacked out hood, etc.,.,,, Hmmmmmm I know I've seen that look somewhere before let's see lime green car with black hood.., Damn I am stumped here....

• Like Like x 1