MPG experiment with ETHANOL FREE 91- 2015 Dodge Charger SRT392

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by Trentster, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Trentster

Trentster Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Ever wonder how good the gas mileage can be if you keep your foot out of it using ethanol free gas? I took a little trip yesterday and the results were pretty interesting! I've put about 19,000 miles on my car and truthfully in that time I usually just drive the car and have fun; which means I'm heavy footed a lot. Yesterday I drove from Pocatello, Idaho to Rock Springs, Wyoming and almost all the way back to Pocatello. I probably could have made it back to that same ethanol free gas station, but I was getting nervous I would run out of gas. 489 miles and 17.33 gallons!!! The car said I got 30.1 mpg on the fuel miser, but the real world fuel economy was 28.2 mpg!!! I will be filling up with ethanol free fuel as much as possible- I'm a believer!!! The weather was perfect yesterday from about 65-95 degrees with no wind. Elevation was 4700 feet to about 6200 over some of the terrain. Lots of bugs!!! Speed limits were freeway at 80 and 75. Then two lane highway at 70 and 65. Traffic was pretty light, but I passed several trucks and slower cars. I stayed at the speed limit and drove in Eco mode. Here's a short video...

https://youtu.be/0W4Ubgji-Go

• Like Like x 1
  2. ciphros

ciphros Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds like a good way to go for road trips. For playing the ethanol provides some extra cooling in the cylinders though, so play heavy driving you may still want to go with the "normal" gas.

Did you do any comparison of miles per dollar for the ethanol free vs standard?

3. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What was your MPG with E-gas and what is the price difference?

4. Trentster

Trentster Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Here it's $0.10 more in Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming for ethanol free. Engine temp was 201 and oil temp was around 210. It's usually the same for gas with 10% ethanol, but my oil temp is usually around 221 so I'm not sure I'm 100% convinced on cooler combustion with ethanol... Personally I think the ethanol thing is bunk. I normally get around 23-25 mpg on 10%. My fastest 0-60 at 4.3 was on ethanol free as well.

5. Lumpy53

Lumpy53 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's interesting so it's far better to use ethonal free for mileage and for performance use 10% ethanol cool thanks guys

• Agree Agree x 1