Mustang dyno vs dynojet numbers

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Fred hellcat, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Fred hellcat

Fred hellcat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i got a call today that my hellcat made 589 hp 587 tq on a mustang dyno do this sound right:confused:

2. BODUKE

BODUKE Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds like rwhp.

3. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mustang dyno will read low.

What were the numbers for density altitude, engine coolant temperature, intercooler coolant temperature and intake temperature?

4. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yea some Dyno's will run low numbers some run higher. One thing I was told, not to baby your car that the computer will adjust to your driving habits and that will hurt your car numbers. When I dynoed my car, it was running rich at the top end of the pull . You could see it in the exhaust. Till then I don't think I had ever took it up above 4500 but a time or two.

5. mowe

mowe Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yup- that's about 630-650 on a dynojet

6. Tampa Tuning

Tampa Tuning Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mustang dyno's are slightly lower. It just depends on the software update the shop is using. My car is about 20-30 RWHP less on a mustang than a dynojet.

7. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Actually Mustang Dyno's don't read low, they read much more accurate than Dynojets which read artificially high.
    Dyno Dynamics Dyno's are one of the most accurate, followed by Mustang Dyno's.

The Society of Engineers (SAE) certified the Hellcat engine on a "engine dyno" at 714 hp
    Dodge/SRT decided to rate it at 707 (probably because it sounds cooler :) )

714 hp - 20% (roughly what I was told by SRT folks is the drivetrain losses for the Hellcat's) and it equals 571.2 rwhp.

So based on some variances dynos that are showing that you have 560-580 rwhp are probably the ones that are the most accurate. Surely not the 650-670 rwhp that Dynojets are spitting out.
    That would require crank horsepower of 815-840 crank horsepower. Does anybody really believe these engines are putting out that much and that SRT just decided to underrate them by 100-120 hp?

Dynos are good for measuring the CHANGE from one run to the other after modifications (tunes, etc).
    The baseline numbers don't really mean a whole lot.
    They could tell you that you have 700 rwhp as a baseline and 750 rwhp after a tune.
    Those numbers are clearly artificially inflated and not accurate, but what does matter is that you gained about 50 rwhp (give or take) from the tune.
    Or if on a Dyno Dynamics or Mustang Dyno your baseline was 570 rwhp and 620 rwhp after the tune. The baseline 570 is probably very close to being accurate as to what the Hellcat is putting to the rear wheels, but again what still really matter is that you got the same 50 rwhp from the tune.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpeg I made 565 hp 626 ft lbs tq on a mustang dyno

9. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpeg And

10. Radride

Radride VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I for one 100% disagree with you. Your 4650lbs Hellcat (weight includes driver) will not be able to run a 10.8s quarter mile time with only 570rwhp. Not a friggen chance. It needs around the 650-670rwhp to achieve this which is ironically the same power the Dyno Jet shows. Quarter mile times and trap speeds have proven this along with many on line calculators. Its just plain fact.

But I do agree with your comment about dyno's being used for tuning and seeing what a certain mod did to the power increase/decrease.

R.K.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Radride

Radride VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I forgot to add, using your logic, the drivetrain losses are 20%; making the car the most inefficient car ever produced.

R.K.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

You could program the dyno so the Hellcat showed 400 rwhp. It means nothing based on 1/4 mile times. They all vary, just like tracks do and DA's
    Still FACT of the matter, no stock Hellcat is truly putting down 650-670 rwhp.
    Also if you think a stock Hellcat that gets 670 rwhp on a DynoJet is any different than standard car variations from a stock Hellcat that puts down 570 rwhp on a Mustang Dyno, I have property to sell you. LOL

If you know more than the SRT folks about the Hellcat, I will believe you. ;)
    But couch quarterbacking doesn't count as fact or support for a comment. You're last comment about 20% is way off too.
    If you think DynoJets are the standard bearer for accurate dynos, you need a whole lot more experience with cars and dynos before posting future comments. Take care.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds about right, maybe a touch low, but that can vary a bit due to weather, gas, fans at the dyno, programing/software of the dyno, etc etc etc.
    You could pull up along somebody in another stock Hellcat that did 660 rwhp on a Dynojet and you two would run side by side.
    Only fools think the number from a dyno of different dynos determines how fast (or how strong) your car is or how well it will do on track.
    Use that dyno result as a baseline for other mods or tuning, that's what dynos are good for.

14. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yup! I know! In fact, there were guys there that ran a DynoJet and they kept saying "You gotta bring your car to ours when it gets fixed. You'll get a much higher reading!" lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. speedycat

speedycat VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Those guys are just idiots. most people know you have to compare dyno number on the same Dyno. I have never heard anyone say, you only made 540hp on a mustang dyno. well I could out run you cause mine made 640hp on a dynojet. Radride is correct. its simple math . wt of you car , hp will give you a set trap speed for that car and a approx 1/4 time based on avg traction and gearing. unless you pedal at the end or still spinning tires past the 1/4 mile mark. I dont car what gears or slicks you have. there is no 4500lb car running mid 11sec making only 400hp. Laws of physics.