My 0-60 experiment- sea level vs. 4500 feet

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by Trentster, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Trentster

Trentster Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    2015 Charger SRT 392 zero to 60 observations:

At home in Idaho I'm at about 4500 feet above sea level. My best 0 to 60 to date is 4.3, but I can regularly get 4.5 to 4.8 on a cool night (1,500 manual stall with no launch control). Our roads are chip-sealed over the asphalt in Idaho so the coefficient of friction is very high and you have great traction. The power is much lower at the higher altitude where I live and I regularly only see high 390's on the dash dyno- which I know isn't super accurate.

Now I'm on vacation in San Fransisco and I can practically throw a stone in the ocean. The air temp is a perfect 60 degrees!!! I tried five times in five different places. The roads here are smooth asphalt with a much lower coefficient of friction. No matter how careful I was I couldn't floor it in first gear at all. I slowly rolled on the throttle each time and when it hit second gear it just spun the tires- lol. It's great to have all this power at sea level, but without gritty roads I just can't hook-up. I even tried a cement surface. 4.6 was the best I could do with several 4.9''s. Heck, I hit 4.9 with four people in the car and all of our luggage at sea level and I'm seeing horsepower in the 440's on the dash dyno. Man these cars are fun, but I was hoping to beat 4.3! I just don't think it's possible without a prepared surface and drag radials.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    4.3 is pretty damn good. What is the estimated top 0-60 on the 392's?

3. Trentster

Trentster Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    It has been tested as fast as 4.1 - 4.2 with the 392 and the A8. Some have been 3.9 or slightly faster with drag radials and a prepared surface.

4. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    this is a great post, you are providing information that is very valuable to all of us. It teaches me that I will need a prepped surface to get the quickest 0-60 times.

5. AvsBest

AvsBest Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I tried a few 0-60 by starting in first gear but only got high 4s. Then I started in 2nd gear and was getting mid 4s or better. Best time is 4.3 and I did this a few times. I have All Season Comp 2 305s so nothing sticky. I'm sure 3.9 is possible with drag radials. And that is at sea level

• Like Like x 1