My baby is back...

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by WindowShaker, Dec 15, 2015.

1. WindowShaker

WindowShaker Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As a lot of you know, I had a little "off road" experience in my Cat. Went through a ditch mostly sideways. After 6 or 7 LONG weeks, she's finally fixed. The repair shop did a fabulous job. They ended up repainting the entire car with the exception of the hood and the right front fender and it looks like it matches nearly perfectly. I couldn't tell a difference and it was bright sunlight when I picked her up. In looking it over, I found one spot of paint in the trunk that needs touching up, a tiny tweak to the hood alignment, and found that the steering wheel got scratched by the side curtain airbag. They ordered a new steering wheel while I was there and will take care of the other 2 items when the steering wheel comes in. The total insurance bill was $21,366. Now, before you start thinking it should have been totaled, (which occurred to me as well) keep in mind that I drove away from the accident with no issues. Let me break down the costs. The labor alone ended up being nearly $6000 and the parts were $13,000. Large priced items were 2 rims ($1420 a piece for total of $2840!!), seats, headrests, and restraints had to be replaced since the side curtain and seat air bags deployed as well the headliner which totaled up to almost $7000. The other $3000+ in parts were for for under body shields, 2 tires, shock, SRT knuckle, control arm, track bar, strut arm, right rear quarter panel ($500), etc, etc, etc. So, as you can see, the damage wasn't heavy but the parts sure are! I know some have said they wouldn't want a car that had been repaired. To each his own. I'm happy to have her back and in tip top shape. I drove her about 150 miles today and put her through her paces and it made me realize how much I'd missed that pin-me-to-my-seat feeling! Took a few pics tonight and I'll try to take some in the daylight tomorrow before the rain hits. Thank you for reading and everybody's support and keep the hammer down!

Edit: the AC compressor also had to be replaced as it somehow got damaged and the repair shop didn't have the correct fittings to recharge it so they took it to my dealer to have that done. I asked them to do the radio flash while it was there and they made it happen. They were definitely a bright spot in all of this. They called me every few days and kept me informed and treated my car the way I do. Downtown Garage and Auto Body in Fredericksburg did the work and David Lynch was my POC. He said it was the highest cost repair they'd ever done. They'd fixed far more damage on a vehicle but clearly the parts for these are way more expensive than most (and of course I took the option of having only OEM replacement parts used).
    IMG_2711.JPG IMG_2715.JPG IMG_0334.JPG IMG_0336.JPG IMG_0337.JPG

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrat's on having it back where it belongs! ---enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  3. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    probably has better paint on it than it did from the factory.

my 2005 Ram Was repainted due to hail damage and my Father had the exact same truck and year. His rusted out mine did not and I had twice the miles on mine.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. WindowShaker

WindowShaker Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think you may be right!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey Window... glad to hear you got the Cat back... that must have been stressful period of time good to hear the shop did a good job at putting her back together!;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats on finally getting the car back,, looks great...there are some dealers out there that do great work,, and sometimes better then the factory,, sorry but it's true.. I had a charger rt a couple years ago that had some kind of Sirius l spots on it,, took it to the dealer, that had it over a month, but it came back prefect..

• Like Like x 1
  7. CharlieS

CharlieS Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congratulations on getting your car back. Your experience and a few others' concerning how the power can take hold has me cautious about how and where I play around with mine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    WindowShaker....It great to hear that things worked out well for you. I'm sure that I would have had lots of sleepless nights worrying about how
    good or bad the car would turn out. But like 70cuda said, the paint's probably better (looking) than it was from the factory.

HAPPY FOR YOU!!! I guess this may be an early Christmas present.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Happy for you. Enjoy and be careful...Respect the beast, and keep traction control on...
    :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    you know it

my '70 was restored and the paint on it is so good, I get docked points at shows.
    Judges tell me they never came out of the factory that nice.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Obiefox

Obiefox Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Why do I feel all of our insurance rates going up........ :)

12. Red Harley

Red Harley Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member HCC National Secretary

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Glad you got your Hellbaby back! Looks good to me also, nice to know they will hold up in an accident of any kind.

• Like Like x 1
  13. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Window, your HC looks wonderful! You are right, the collision center did a GREAT job! Glad that all is well once again!

April

• Like Like x 1
  14. Puffy

Puffy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Just now seeing this.

Glad you got your Cat back. I went off roading a few months back as well. No where near the damage you had but I was able to drive home as well. Built like a small tank. I didn't know that the difference in black and brass monkey wheels was so high ($1420-$2650).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mike Lannom

Mike Lannom Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Looks great! Lucky no trees involved in your off road excursion. Hopefully your insurance company will be nice to you.

• Funny Funny x 1