My buddy broke my Challenger CEL P2227 and P0335

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by carcass, Jun 19, 2016.

1. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My buddy revved it up and took off in fifth gear, from a stop.
    Now its in limp mode and has a P2227 code and check engine light. Will only go 2000rpm or so and then it will cut out, the boost gauge registers no boost, it will go to 0 vacuum but that's it.
    According to the internet P2227 is some barometric pressure sensor or something so maybe the boost gauge got destroyed, I don't know.
    EDIT-----Car also has code P0335--crankshaft position sensor.
    So today a group of friends met at a breakfast joint with our hot rods and went for a cruise, I drove my 71 Nova and let my buddy take my Challenger for the day. I'm not one to keep all the fun to myself so from time to time I let other people drive the thing. My buddy promptly killed the car several times while following me taking off from stops, he's a veteran manual trans driver and jeep four wheeler, but apparently taking off in that car was beyond him. I told him to give it some throttle or it would stall, after leaving the restaurant my buddy was behind the line of six cars following a 55 Chevy. The rest of us had pulled over to wait for the two because we got ahead a long ways on the cruise loop.
    well here comes my buddy and the 55 roaring up to us and when they got out my buddy says "hey I accidently took off in fifth gear and now your check engine light is on" I thought he was joking. He says "no really, you better come look" So I did and sure enough its code P2227. Oil pressure, temperature, exhaust air fuel, was okay so I drove it home about 10 miles or so, slowly.
    Got home had to move the car again and it will barely go in reverse, I'm thinking he killed my clutch smoking it from a stop in fifth.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. carcass

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  3. carcass

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My friend in the 55 chevy later told me that him and the guy driving my Hellcat lined up for a race of sorts and took off hard, the 55 is no slouch with a rowdy small block, stall converter and 4.10 gears on drag radials, so he nailed it and the driver of my hellcat nailed it from a stop in fifth gear.

4. carcass

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Now in limp mode mode my car won't go past 2000rpm and the boost gauge never shows any boost, goes to O zero vacuum and that's it.
    Well off to service it goes, what sucks to me is that my buddy created a very harsh situation by dropping the clutch in fifth gear, but I have a sick feeling that I'll take it to the dealer and they'll change a friggin sensor, reset the CEL and call it good, but I'm dang sure damage to performance and further failure down the line could happen. So I almost hope the whole thing is shot so I can be sure to get some new parts instead of some b.s. service dept its good take it home thing.

5. BODUKE

BODUKE Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Let him drive his own car from now on!

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  6. carcass

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For sure!
    I would have rather seen him get in a fender bender with the car at least then it would have been an accident instead of him being incompetent behind the wheel and beating on it at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. JimmyJ

JimmyJ Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I think I'd probably be short a buddy after that debacle!

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That stinks. Good luck to you, if the car is still "stock" I'd expect that the warranty will cover you but, like BODUKE stated earlier. I'd let him drive his on freaking car next time. (If there's a next time):confused:

Let us know how it turns out please?

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. carcass

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've searched on here for "P2227" and read several threads now, lots of info on early build cars getting a PCM replaced because of this code and a barometric pressure sensor failure, but I would think this is a mechanical failure in my cars case.

10. toplescuda

toplescuda Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'd be beyond pissed if he could not get his head out of his ass enuff to tell differance from 1st gear and 5th. Then hammering it with at least you in the car
    The 2 or 3rd time killed it would be enuff for me to say......"maybe this is not the kind of car you need to be driving"....

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. carcass

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    He says he pulled off the highway along my buddy in his 55 chevy and forgot it was in fifth, then took off in it. I get it, I know, I'm trying not to be mad to much because it isn't going to help my blood pressure or the car get fixed. I need some support and some mechanical advice more than anything.

12. Markp

Markp Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Club Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did you smell anything after? Worst case scenario he burnt your clutch. Maybe it triggered limp mode before he did real damage hopefully.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JimmyJ

JimmyJ Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You've got the support, man. We all feel for you!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Looks like you are like me and let your buddy ride it. But one of my buddy pulled dang 124 mph in 30 mile zone (I think he was trying to cross my top speed) since that day I've made sure that he looks at the car from side. I've no issue sharing the excitement with friends and family members but treat like yours.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. carcass

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm sure the clutch wasn't done any favors, but I do t know if it's destroyed.

• Agree Agree x 1