My Cat Eats and drinks oil..But I love her.

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by 2510, Nov 28, 2015.

1. 2510

2510 BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have the Cat 3 months + a week and have a little over 11k on it. It took 3 quarts at 4k and then oil change at dealership at 6k (their recommendation tried to do before) then 3 quarts this morning at 11k. The only other car I had that went through oil like this was my '06 E60 M5.

I do drive over 150miles a day, but impressive oil consumption. Not complaining just mentioning.

By the way the MO#41 oil filter that has been recommended is for the 8.4, 5.7, 6.1 & 6.4 - but I guess it is OK on the 6.2 - it just says not a fit on the parts pages. I am ordering a few of them on Cyber Monday, so just confirming.

2. Obiefox

Obiefox Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That is a ton of oil consumption IMO. There is no way that is "normal".

Kevin

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. FireLane

FireLane SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Have you brought it to your dealers attention? They can check it and the warranty covers it.

4. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I want to agree with Obiefox. NOT NORMAL. That said, I had a 1994 Cobra Mustang that used about that much oil. I took
    it to a dealer (in 94) and was told that 1 quart per thousand miles was within industry standards. I didn't agree then and I still don't agree. Hope nothing serious is wrong with your car. Also, if you run the snot out of any car, especially while it's brand new, it's going to use excessive amounts of oil. I have no idea how you run your car but thought that I'd mention it
    any way.

All in all, if you love the car and don't mind checking and adding oil regularly, then all is well :)

5. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is not typical of the Hellcat engine, I would start a warranty claim so the dealer can monitor the car, what happens with excessive oil consumption is the oil drops the octane of the fuel which changes the cars performance, it may start to pick up knock and retard the timing.
    TC

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agree with all above, I would be concerned about that unit. THREE quarts? No way. A few ounces ok at worst, but not quarts.

I have never added oil, this unit has not burned any that I can see on the dipstick anyway. Two oil changes and about 7,000 miles. Ran hard at the road course all day, it did not consume any then, I just went out to double check again, since it has sat idle for two weeks now. None used at all.

7. terryturner

terryturner Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I recommend #1 bringing it to the dealers attention of course. But #2 u should probably check your oil a little more often. With your motor running about half full u could be running into serious problems especially if youre hard on it. Are u only checking cuz your oil light comes on? I would hope it would come on way before it's 3 QUARTS low

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I followed the break in procedure all the way up to 1500 miles. At 2100 +/- a few miles, my car had not used an amount that I could detect on the dipstick. I'm sure it used some but
    no where near as much as 1 quart more or less more. Definitely now where near as much
    as the OP's car.

TC has a good point, contaminated combustion charge can hurt performance plus the fact that motors typically increase oil consumption with use, if it's bad now it only going to get
    worse. My previous post was a bit more optimistic due to my not wanting to sound crappy
    but if it were my car, the dealer would be involved, sooner rather than later.

Either way... best of luck!

9. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Maybe it's a new feature where the car changes its own oil. :)

Seriously that's way too much. My 97 Saturn with 175k doesn't even burn that much. I agree bring it in to service and at least document it. They probably won't be able to do much but put it on the books.

10. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    mine uses none

i would not be happy if i were you....id get the cylinders compression tested to see if they forgot to give you piston rings

11. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My hellcat ate around 2 quarts at 3k miles, it's been normal since. Consistant oil burning is either related to you being hard on it, or future engine problems showing.

12. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    anything more than 1 quart per 3,000 miles has to be a warranty issue id think.........ive owned $500 cars that burned/leaked a 1 quart a week....no way a new car should burn/use any in my opinion...owned probably 8+ new cars in my lifetime....never had 1 use oil until it had 150,000 miles+

13. 2510

2510 BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dealer says it is normal. Oil light has never come on, no lifter tapping and definitively no performance issues. Again, my '06 E60 M5 used oil at a similar rate. Again, I drive almost 1000k a week, traffic often and routinely hit 120mph+ on a daily basis. I have been told by dealer a quart every 500 to 1000 miles could be normal if driven often.

14. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    2510 I have been here a while. Some Cats seem to drink a bit of oil. Thankfully my own Cat does not drink oil though it has ate its Supercharger. A real PITA. 1000 miles per litre is a bit excessive. I would put it on notice with your dealer for future reference just in case. A while back I bought the wife an Alpina B3 3.3 Coupe. It went from 800 miles per litre to 200 miles per litre. Just stay on top of it and if it starts to munch more oil get it sorted whilst you still have a warranty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    industry standard for any brand on high performance cars is 1 quart per 1,000 before any warranty work would be considered and even then it would just be monitored--some high rpm engines are only looked at 1 per 500 miles...I doubt you have a serious issue--I wouldn't waster my time unless the car is puffing blue smoke on start ups..

• Agree Agree x 1