My Challenger Hellcat Got Rear-Ended

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Drew871105, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Drew871105

Drew871105 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi everyone,

Title says it all.....now I need to look for someone to replace lower rear bumper (black). Do Dodge dealerships do body work? Do they replace parts and deal with insurances? Are there any good shops here in Northern NJ or NYC metro area?

Appreciate your help.

2. FireLane

FireLane SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yes the dealerships usually have body shops, use factory parts and deal completely with the insurance companies.

3. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I haven't had much luck with dealership body shops. I used one for my Mustang years ago and it was a terrible experience. Paint peeled off hood, front end shook, etc. I'd use a good private body shop, after all it is their specialty. Usually the insurance company can recommend a preferred body shop.

4. Puffy

Puffy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    When I got hit on my right side, I had to get my front fender, both doors, and both wheels replaced. I took my Cat to a local shop that's done a lot of work on high end cars. There are a lot of capable shops out there. However, most dealerships are aligned with a body shop that handles insurance claims.

5. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not all dealerships have a body shop including the 3 dealers within 25 miles of me. Most any body shop can do insurance work. You have a $70K car. Don't just take it anywhere. Check around and look at the work done by the shop and ask people who they used. Not all body shops are equal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. charger440rt

charger440rt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'd stick with a good high end private body shop that works on top tier cars and don't nickel and dime them.

7. Drew871105

Drew871105 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you all for your replies. Also, what does this do to the overall value of my car, seeing how this will be added to carfax in the future? How do I deal with diminished vehicle value?

8. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Some repair shops report and some don't. You might ask about that up front. Carfax is a joke. I had a 2000 Viper GTS that did some off roading, the floor was pushed in and it was sold at a salvage auction (with salvage title). Carfax only showed that the car had "minor front end damage" and didn't report the salvage title. Given the relative scarcity of Hellcats, your value probably won't take much of a hit if any at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Puffy

Puffy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Has a claim already been filed? Think about doing a diminished value claim with the other person's insurance company if you think the shop will report it (another reason to go to a high end shop since you can develop a friendship with them). I haven't looked up my car after I got hit but I did a DV claim and pocketed some mod money.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got rear ended in late Oct. Just got the car back a week ago. My work was done by Service King, a USAA recommended repair facility. I got all new Mopar parts. I verified each one right down to the fasteners. They did a pretty damn good job. They are nation wide so check them out. I have pics at my Thread, The Lizzy Story. Good luck !

• Like Like x 3
  11. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I did DV as well and made out OK, with Loss of use and loss of work time and with some pain and discomfort money.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Paladin06

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    By law they have to report. If that don't, walk away because they are crooks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. rags

rags Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  14. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I had an early injury to my 2010 Challenger R/T rear end. Basically hit gently but tore the bumper cover. Two different shops tried to get the cover to hang right and it never did. First attempt, I could see my shoes thru the gap between the fender and bumper cover.
    Bumper cover rests on two small sheet metal screws at the top and some wedge clips, then wraps around and is fastened in the wheel wells with a single bolt.

Sorry about the wreck, hope you make out well on the repairs.

15. Puffy

Puffy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That's a long time. For me, my car was down only one month. I had APAC ( www.apactheshop.com ) do my repairs. Super confident in their work. It's a couple hours from NY/NJ though.