My diode dynamics order is in

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Electronics' started by Hb hellcat, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Hb hellcat

Hb hellcat Black Betty...BamAlam!!!

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Well, it's all here including the led boards for my headlight modules! From Order to shipping in three days! Received two days later! Awesome service guys, thank you!
    Ended up getting a full led changeover kit for all of the vehicles conventional lighting as well as the modules for the headlights.
    The retrofit bulbs appear to be an easy swap. Not so sure about the boards for the headlights.
    Upon further investigation, which included many discussions with approved factory installers, I'm really hoping to have the black sealer on the lights as opposed to the white or gray sealer.
    Does anyone have any successful stories or tips on opening the white or gray sealer?
    We won't know for sure how my headlights are sealed until the valance comes off, so I'm actually trying to find out what I may need to know before it may be necessary.
    Any help, insights or tips are greatly welcomed.
    Thank you!

2. hellbound

hellbound BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Keep us posted I want these too.....

3. ArtOfNoize

ArtOfNoize Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My brother did some different lights on his 13 392. He told me that he tried baking them open and that didn't work out so well. Then he used an oscillating saw and zipped them right open. I want to say he used JB weld to close them back up. He has ran this since the beginning of summer with no issues. Don't know if this is the best way but it worked for him. I will be doing mine very soon as I have the diode dynamics RGBWs as well.

4. Hb hellcat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Update time...
    As expected, incandescent to LED bulb changeover was super easy. Scotch tape trick is indispensable though.
    Big difference is useable light. Some friends think it's too bright, but I like being able to see when I turn on a light! Required for trunk and glove compartment at the very least, imho.
    Headlight modules are a much different story.
    After talking to all of the local installers and hearing most wanted nothing to do with my job, I was starting to wonder what was I getting into?
    Well, it's not fast or easy, but after getting a $1000 quote to install if I brought in headlights and led kit, I did more research. There is very little info out there and most is for other mfgs. These are not Camaro lights!!!
    All info I could find was for after the light modules are opened. Opening is not a simple procedure. Opening mine was rather tedious and difficult. Now I understand the install quotes and comments from installers!
    Long story short, I've finally got one apart, cleaned, LEDs installed and module ready to be resealed. Almost 6 hours from start to this point. Probably all of 20 minutes to actually change led pads, including tying wires out of the way! I'm hoping I learned from the first one and will be quicker on the next. Kinda doubting it, though.
    Will be starting a new thread for opening a new charger headlight once I've done the other module and think I understand this adhesive a little better. Just for starters, took 225 and 45 minutes to just start to get loosened and pliable, room temp is like hard plastic. Will be doing some tests on adhesive to check temperatures and pliability. This is not a typical butyl or silicon adhesive!
    Sorry for lengthy post, but I'll get more into depth on techniques in a different post in a few days. I'll have completed a few experiments and more research by then.

5. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do you have any pictures of your results

6. terryturner

terryturner Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What's the scotch tape trick?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. hellbound

hellbound BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Texh tips take along time to type... No worrie keep them coming... Good info thx

8. Hb hellcat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Wrap a piece of scotch tape around the light to help get a grip on it. Once you've done it once or twice, you'll be a pro. Should let light cool first though.
    Shown on the diode dynamics web site installation tips.