My first 4 days with the beast

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by 2510, Aug 21, 2015.

1. 2510

2510 BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok, picked it up on Monday night and have driven it 550 miles so far. Here are my impressions for what it is worth:
    - My right ankle hurts worse than my clutch foot and thats not from pushing the gas down it is from keeping my foot up. I hardly have to hit the gas to cruze at 80 -90 in 6th gear
    - The interior is much nicer than I thought
    - Haven't read manual or mastered screens yet
    - Broke 140mph
    - 80 - 110+ is stupid fast
    - Car pulls harder than I thought it would - I think it is faster than my E60 M5 was
    - Love the ventilated seats
    - Getting 15 MPG mix city and highway
    - Like that the drivers seat fold forward - '08 SRT8 didnt
    - Radio doesn't sound great and I got upgraded one. Must have to learn what I am doing with it.
    - Miss my Sunroof
    - Shortshifter (to me) is unnecessary - have had no difficulty getting into gears quickly
    - Wish it had HUD
    - Brakes are sick
    - Handling so far isn't head and shoulders above '08 SRT8 (which I felt was very above average) and yes I have tried multple set ups.
    - Oh - the sound is addicting I especially enjoy the "burble" after downshifting it's awesome. Can not wait for a tunnel run. Start up is especially awesome.
    - 2nd gear has gotten me to 80mph so far; 3rd to 115mph
    - Love the power telescopic steering wheel
    - Think it needs 305's at all four corners
    - Wish they upgraded the black trim at bottom of body - just know it will break
    - Why aren't the side view mirrors power fold - ugh

That's all I can think of for now - should be at 5k pretty quick and I'll do a more complete synopses then.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good synopsis about a great car. I hadn't even thought about power side mirrors, why would that be of any real benefit?

3. natesrt

natesrt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have the same car and the B5 blue is stunning in person! I'm going to get Ceramic Pro done to it in the near future to help keep it clean and will post some pics after.

The power available is intoxicating. It's just always there no matter what gear you're in - so much fun being able to pass quickly. I saw a YouTube video where the guy started it in 6th gear and got it going!

4. cjohn7

cjohn7 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Glad you are enjoying the car. did you ignore the break-in procedures? Not bashing, just asking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. McLovin

McLovin Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would LOVE to have power folding mirrors. My mirrors need to be folded in to fit in my storage garage, so I am constantly folding / unfolding.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    2510...thanks for the useful synopsis. Not too many gripes on my end...the brake dust is a pain to keep off/clean, the HK stereo sounds good sometimes and other times it is kinda lame/weak volume. I got the black lugs with 4 locks from Speedlogix...which I like. Tint coming soon. Love this car more and more each day.....2700 miles after 9 weeks and getting about 13-14mpg;)...I did follow break-in to the letter.:D

• Like Like x 1
  7. 2510

2510 BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Power mirrors for me would be great cause I park in the city a lot and bikes kill mirrors.

I would say ignore is the wrong word on break in period - not to the letter is probably better - it was really hard to.

Snappy, I'm probably doing tint next week - natesrt I need to know more abut this Ceramic Pro, it sounds interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats! Nice write-up. I did 600 miles my first day driving home from GA dealership back to VA. Painful first 300 miles but full break-in completed and so glad it was done and over quickly.
    Now 40 days later I'm at 3200+ miles and loving every (s)mile of it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. natesrt

natesrt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's one of the nano coatings that are everywhere right now. Ceramic Pro has a few different packages and I'm still deciding between the 5-yr vs lifetime package (difference is more coats). Main goal is to make maintenance easier on the paint. There are some dubious protection claims that it will stop scratches and the such but those seem a bit far fetched with a coating (XPel clear bra would be better for that).

From everything I've read, the car will basically have that newly waxed wet look all the time and the rain essentially washes any accumulated dust off the paint. It also provides protection against tree sap, bugs, bird crap, etc. You still have to wash the car properly (2 bucket method) but maybe not as frequently as you would have to without it and the washing would also be easier.

There are a bunch of different coatings out there such as OptiCoat, CQuartz, GTechniq, etc. but the most important thing is to find a good detailer. They will need to do some sort of polishing/paint correction (even on a new car) before sealing in the look with the coating.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. 2510

2510 BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It sounds like Teflon Coating or Scotch Guard (hope I'm not dating myself) for the car.

11. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I thought you were gonna say you needed the power mirrors so that when the car hits about 199mph, you can make the mirrors tuck in for better aerodynamics to allow the car to crest 200! But, if you need to fold mirrors to get your car to fit the garage, how the heck do you exit the vehicle, I mean, do you have to climb out the sunroof to escape your sweet ride?!?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  12. McLovin

McLovin Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just about!
    I have to stick close to the passenger side wall...carefully open the driver door so as not to bang it....then have juuuust enough room to squeeze out. Good thing I'm not (too) overweight....

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. ManicMechanicMD

ManicMechanicMD Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Great review. One note on the brakes being sick. Just wait for the amount of dust they produce. May want to think about changing pads. I did. Couldn't be happier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 2510

2510 BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What pads did you use - don't be a tease - let us in on it.

15. 2510

2510 BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    One more thing - it is annoying that everytime I start the car it is in track mode and I have to go change to sport - have to read the manual to figure out how to save. Then when I put in sport ESC goes off and I have to turn on. I am sure Track mode is great but on the streets it will kill my kidneys just too stiff.

Also, walked on a CL55 AMG tonight - 4th gear opened up 5-6 car length and he wasn't making it up.

• Winner Winner x 1