My freshly detailed Hellcat

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Lord Hellcat, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Whilst I've cleaned the Hellcat numerous times. I had yet to give it a real extensive clean.
    A while back I bought a bottle of Iron X having read about on here the issues with rail dust eating into the paint.
    So yesterday I enlisted the help of a good friend who is very good at and loves polishing cars. Only nice cars.
    Loz was late as usual as he always gets side tracked.
    First job was to clean the wheels and the brake callipers. Then smother the whole car in Iron X and leave it to soak in. I could not believe the amount of purple liquid covering the car and dripping onto the floor. It must have taken a good hour to power wash it all off . Then thoroughly wash and dry the car. I detailed the engine bay, boot and door shut areas whilst I left Loz to do his thing with the polish. Removing quite a few scratches and marks in the process. Pitch Black looks stunning. I am sure you will all approve :D
    IMG_1842.JPG

IMG_1847.JPG

IMG_1850.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG
    IMG_1862.JPG

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
  2. tsubahog

tsubahog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congratulations on having the shiniest and meanest looking car on here. I trust you bought Loz a pint of Abbott for his toils. An extra point for the perfect utilisation of the relative adverb "whilst", perhaps its first use on the forum.

3. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Car looks AWESOME! What was your process start to finish. I love Iron-X. Great product. My brand new Hellcat was sublime but it was dripping purple all over and it was only the second day I had it!

4. ramair111

ramair111 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    looks outstanding! I cleaned my pitch black this am also. Don't drive in rain so I just use a California duster then wipe down with Lucas spray detailer.

5. Davbo

Davbo Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    BEAUTIFUL!!!! Can you guys come over to my house?:D

6. My71Gs

My71Gs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Car looks great I can't wait I pick mine up tomorrow. Pitch black red interior I fell in love got it right off the car carrier

Attached Files:

7. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    AWESOME!!

8. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Love it. Now... how do you keep it looking this good when those misty and rainy English days start coming?:D

9. GALTCAT

GALTCAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have ordered Cquartz, which thought was best to detail my HC. After seeing your car using Iron X, I'm having second thoughts about Cquartz.
    Has anyone else used Cquartz? and how satisfied are you?
    TIA

10. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    CQuartz and Iron-X have nothing to do with each other in the sense that CQuartz is a LSP and Iron-X is a paint prep product. They are complementary products.

Iron-X is a prep product to help remove iron particles embedded in the paint. The iron-x and either clay or a nano-cloth may be used in the steps to prep. the paint. Then you go to paint correction as needed followed by your LSP (last step products) to protect the finish.

The CQuartz would be a last step product but there will be a number of prep steps to get there. The actual prep depends on the current condition of your paint. Does this make sense?

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This might help with paint prep steps...

upload_2015-9-13_20-25-57.png

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Looks bloody good!:D

13. GALTCAT

GALTCAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thx, I learn something new on this forum everyday. Since I'm dense: why would one use Iron X on a new car?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    About 90% of the shine you see in the pics above on Lord Hellcat's gorgeous ride is due to the prep. Believe it or not your brand new Hellcat has filthy paint. The majority of new cars due. The railroad transport is very dirty. The trains kick up a ton of microscopic iron particles from the tracks. Sitting around in lots they also collect fallout etc.

Clean the paint really well (Iron-X is a good step to add even if you clay), polish the paint properly to remove all the scratches and swirls. It's the clean, polished surface that looks so good. The stuff you add on top later (sealant, wax or some combination) enhance the shine, add some depth and protect the surface (like a sacrificial layer). Hope this helps.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    SRT_HC_707 is spot on. The problem is the Cats get transported on rail cars unprotected and get covered in rail dust and debris. When the train brakes it fires red hot iron filings into the air and they can burn there way into your nice new paintwork.
    The Iron X is designed to dissolve these iron deposits. The Iron X I used was a very pale yellow. The Iron deposits on the paint turn purple once the Iron X does its job. What surprised me was that although I have washed the Cat several times. Having smothered the car in Iron X. The whole car was dripping purple. Everywhere.
    It took over an hour to jet wash the Iron X off thoroughly and then we washed the car with Simoniz car shampoo. Jet washed the car again and dried it off thoroughly. We used Autoglym car wax to get the finish. The clever bit that Loz does is removing fine scratches and swirls. He uses a mix of polish and T Cut so that it is not too aggressive to the paint. The result speaks for itself. Very pleased :D

• Useful Useful x 1