My new Plum Crazy is home

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Steven_sbs, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's been a long long wait, but my Plum Crazy Hellcat Challenger is finally home. And now that she's home, I will share my 14 month story. If you don't like long stories, skip to the end for the bottom line.

July 2014 I put down my $1000 deposit with a dealer in central New Jersey for an A8 Challenger Hellcat in Ivory White. I was number 3 on their list. In November 2014 they finally placed my order and I got a VON. By March 2015 Dodge ran out of automatic transmissions. Dealer told me if I wanted a car I had to change it to a manual trans. I told them to keep it as an auto and I'll wait to see what happens. By May of 2015, someone went into the dealer, got them to change my order to a manual trans, and bought my VON out from under me. I found out about the change when the car was assigned a VIN and ResumeSpeed posted the assignment here. I called the dealer all excited and that's when I found out I was without a car or VON. Screwed over big time.

When Dodge announced how new allocations would work for 2015 in August, I started calling dealers to get on a 2016 list. Very few dealers in the New Jersey area had an automatic trans allocation, or if they did have one they wanted $5000 to $20,000 mark up. So I waited until September and tried again. Still no luck. In October I started calling outside the area. A coin toss lead me to calling dealers in Minnesota. Going down the list from dodge.com, I eventually found Luther Brookdale Dodge outside Minneapolis (great people to work with) who had an A8 Plum Crazy (the best color ever, and it matches my 1970 Challenger R/T) already on order for inventory, in C status, with no mark-up, and no one waiting in line to buy it. A quick deposit on my credit card and I had a VON. They changed the order to a sold order and I had a VIN in about 2 weeks. The car was built the first week of November and delivered to the dealer the Friday after Thanksgiving. I flew out from Philadelphia Monday morning, the dealer picked me up at the airport, and two hours later I started driving the 1300 miles back to New Jersey. Since I hadn't gotten a 2015 car and my order was taken from me by the dealer, I made a few phone calls to Dodge and SRT and was finally able to get one of the $5000 vouchers. So after you factor in the price increase for 2016, and some of my 2015 options were now standard features, my 2016 car with the voucher actually cost me less than it would have in 2015. So getting screwed by my original dealer paid off in the end. Sometimes waiting is a good thing.

The first 300 miles of driving in Minnesota and northern Iowa were in light to moderate snow, then a little sleet. And getting dark. Kind of scary in a new car with 500HP under your right foot (yes, black key mode to start things off). By the next morning, the sun was shining, the ice was gone, and I was off on my next 500 miles to Ohio, red key this time. Now I was having fun. Open roads, light traffic, and a nice easy ride getting to know my new best friend. The last 500 miles from Ohio to New Jersey started with very frosty cold, but quickly changed to moderate to heavy rain, some very dense fog, and as I got closer to Jersey, heavy traffic. But I was in my new Hellcat, so I didn't really care. I was still having fun. And now the car is in the driveway, all broken in and ready to play.

So some first impressions of the car... Build quality is perfect. No paint problems, it all fits together nicely, everything works. I'm thrilled. The radio sounds great. Whatever problems there were in 2015, I don't have them in 2016. SiriusXM sounds loud, lots of mirror shaking bass, really nice. FM radio sounds OK, I haven't played with it much. Music from my SD card sounds great, although I do have to turn up the volume level more than the satellite setting to get the same sound level. All of my music is ripped from CD using iTunes. Some songs do sound better than others, but I think it more has to do with the original recording than the HK radio or speakers. Francis Dunnery's album Let's Go Do What Happens has some thundering bass and sounds spectacular. The Pogues album If I Should Fall From Grace With God sounds like and old AM radio. Bluetooth cell phone paired easily and calls sounded clear. Gas mileage over the 1300 miles of highway was about 23 mpg. I was running in ECO mode for the first half of the trip, normal 700HP mode the second half. I didn't buy the car for it's gas mileage, but I'm still happy with it. Anything that does better then my 2007 Avalanche is a win in my book. And I'm still trying to find all the performance pages, gauges, and features. Too many to play with while driving. uConnect apps... didn't set them up and don't plan to. Nothing to see there, moving on.

Bottom line, I love my new Hellcat. Life is good.

DSCN1065.jpg DSCN1059.jpg DSCN1064.jpg DSCN1063.jpg DSCN1069.jpg DSCN1072.jpg

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 8
  2. jgil

jgil Silver Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very nice if plum crazy was available in 15 that would have been my choice!

3. CharlieS

CharlieS Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congratulations on your car. You had quite an ordeal. I'm looking forward to seeing side by side photos with your '70. Are you putting it away for the winter?

4. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I will be taking side by side photos as soon as I can. Nothing really gets put away for the winter. The '70 lives in the garage next to the 1934 Packard, the Hellcat lives in the driveway. Any of them will be driven as long as there is no snow on the ground. If there is snow, we take the wife's Subaru Outback or my Avalanche.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good deal Steven_sbs , glad to see you got your car finally.

6. Speedlogix Sales

Speedlogix Sales Gold Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Well worth the wait, congrats on the beautiful new Hellcat. Plum Crazy is my favorite color, enjoy it!

- Alexis.

7. CrewDoggie

CrewDoggie Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow what a story. I tried for 4 months to find a SoCal dealership that wouldn't mark the 2015 Challenger Hellcats up beyond $25K it was impossible. I complained to SRT with a formal letter (about a mile long) what dealers were doing. 2 weeks later I got a call from my local dealership stating that Headquarters received my complaint and that I was allowed one allocation for MSRP with no money down. So I said yes and built it. 2 weeks later I got a build sheet sent to me with my wife's and I name on it. I also got a status email from SRT everyday during the build and shipping process. It showed up Nov 30th 2016. The owner of the dealership showed up during my signing for the car. You could tell he was exactly thrilled about letting a 2016 Hellcat go for MSRP.......LOL!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats! Great that FCA came thru with a voucher and the wait paid off in the long run.

9. Johnny

Johnny Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member HCC Germany President

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congratulation!
    Nice story, nice car, nice color!

The Hellcat in Plum Crazy will be really rare.
    Have fun with it ;)

10. Markp

Markp Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Club Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am jealous but congrats

11. peteguy

peteguy Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats! Cool color.

12. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great story Steven. I'm glad you got your Cat in the end they really are worth the wait

13. Deputydog

Deputydog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats! Your story sounds typical of the 2015 debacle, but glad you finally have your cat!

14. bushwhacker

bushwhacker Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats on the Plum Crazy, you must have went right thru my town on I35 in southern Minnesota. Too bad we couldn't had a cup of coffee . Wonder if you were riding on summer tires?

15. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats! Good things come to those who wait (and are willing to deal with all of the BS along the way)

Car looks GREAT! I still haven't saw one of the Plum Crazy cars in person. In fact, I've only saw two black
    and two green Cats period. But my local dealer has a granite and a plum car on the way. I'll make a special
    trip just to see them.

Have fun and ENJOY!!!