My old car compared to the hellcat

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Ohiotj, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Ohiotj

Ohiotj Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i traded my 93 viper for a 6spd challenger. I have not tracked the cat yet but driving around town and highway there is very surprising differences. The viper felt like it was going faster then the hellcat all the time. Much more feedback from the cars suspension. The hellcat rides like a caddy in comparison. I can't really compare handling yet as I will wait for the road course to get a better feel. The viper was much more involving to drive and you knew you were in a sports car the whole time. The hellcat is happy to lug around town and never gave one hint of hits power unless you called for it. In the viper hitting the go pedal you felt the speed build up where the hellcat I had to look at the speedo to confirm how fast I really was accelerating. The speed builds up so fast in the hellcat it is truly amazing and it does so very easily. I am surprised how little I hear the supercharger. I heard people ask if others were annoyed by its sound. There is no reason a hellcat can't be used as a comfortable daily driver. In the viper the only climate control I used was wearing a hat or not. Now I have ac, heated seats, heated steering wheel, and ventilated seats.
    I will miss the experience the viper provided. Much more involved is the best way to describe it. The hellcat goes and goes and goes with out much drama. High speeds are reached so quickly it is deceiving. Add to that a smooth ride and you are set for any long journey. There is no doubt that these two cars are completely different. One coming from a digital age and the other the Stone Age.
    I could not say which one I like better. They are too different to say one is better then the other. I will say my family likes the cat better just because everyone can enjoy it together. Which in reality tips the scales to favor the cat from a lifestyle standpoint.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    coming from a 96 Viper, I hope you don't get bored in the Challenger. My Viper was fast and fun but it rattled and shaked. The Challenger is more useable and comfortable. Really two different cars.
    I will possibly get another Viper someday ( soon) but It will be in addition to the Hellcat.

3. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great comparison! I never had a Viper, but I could totally relate to your description of the Hellcat. I was at the dealer's yesterday and that is how I was explaining it to him. A luxury race car that I can drive everyday! Congrats! Glad you are enjoying the experience.:D

4. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I love this review thank you for sharing, posting on FB Hellcat page

5. Mopar707

Mopar707 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had both 94 and 96 Vipers. The early Vipers were a real PITA with the funky folding top, funky zipper windows and leg burning side pipes. The refinement between 94 and 96 was huge. Airbags, real glass power windows, and somewhere to carry luggage that was not filled up by the top and windows you had to carry in case it rained was huge. Did not matter if you put the top and windows on in the rain, you still got wet.

I appreciate the power of the Hellcat, but also the creature comforts. Viper owners always boasted about not needing the nanny controls, but is always nice to have them as long as you can turn them off. The brakes on my 94 Viper were pathetic and by 96 they were only half pathetic. The Hellcat fit and finish is way above the early Vipers. Early Viper body panels never fit well and the factory paint was orange peel covered by sloppy clear coat. The Hellcat feels solid and smooth. The Vipers always popped and clunked and the Viper tech always responded, "That's normal."

6. Ohiotj

Ohiotj Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I loved the unrefined style of the viper. I never used the radio, never had the top on, always beating on it. It was romantic like that. My step dad has a 96 911 turbo, and though our two cars were three years apart they were totally different. I have driven a 2008 viper and while it was fun it lacked what I loved about the first vipers.

As for abs, esp, and all the computer aids it hit or miss for me. I spun my viper in front of three cars in a complex turn at mid Ohio. It went away pretty fast and there was nothing I could do to but go for the ride. Also as stated gen 1 brakes on the viper sucked. I swore something was wrong with them but they just sucked. I never got comfortable going from a long straight to a tight corner. Breaking while turning was something I never wanted to experience in that car.
    My 2013 challenger rt was very forgiving to drive on the track. I would toss it into turns and still make it out unscathed. I thought I was a hero driver to I went without the computers in the viper. My confidence is much higher driving in a computer aided car.

• Like Like x 1