My own purchasing dilemma. Need opinions...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Nitewing, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Nitewing

Nitewing Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    ok, so here's my issues with getting a Hellcat:

I want to purchase a Charger Hellcat, in order to do so, first I need to sell my current SRT8, which is my daily driver, to use as down payment and clear it off my credit report so the bank is happy to lend me the rest to buy the Hellcat. (I can afford one after that just fine, not stretching myself financially at all).

Now, every day Dodge delays with pushing back ordering, and allocation to dealer games, my current car drops in value. I want to maximize my profit on my car by not selling too late, and also I want the sale completed BEFORE I walk in to buy the Hellcat. If I sell it now, I could get more than if I wait, which could be a long time if my dealer gets no allocation to cover me until late in the year, but then I have to rent another car as I need one to get to work. So if I sell too early, I could waste tons of money on a rental, that could have been used to make a better down payment on the Hellcat.

I'm currently either 4 or 5 on my dealers list for preorders, but that doesn't really mean anything without Dodge allocating enough cars, which I am thinking they won't for the first allocation anyway.

So, I'm trying to decide between a couple of options:
    1. Sell my car sooner and rent until March at the earliest if I'm ridiculously lucky, or late in the year if I'm not and Dodge is still playing games.

2. Hold on to my car until I'm close to getting my Charger Hellcat and sell it then, again earliest being March without likely losing much on trade in value, or late in the year year when I could lose a few thousand on the trade in.

3. sell my car now, find a Challenger Hellcat on lot for MSRP (I prefer a Charger but definitely would not mind a Challenger, and I've seen a few at MSRP within a few hundred miles).

4. Hold on to my car and wait until I find a Charger on lot for MSRP and sell my current car at that point.

This would be so simple if Dodge would just be straight up and sell these cars as they are ordered by paying customers and drop the allocation BS.

Any thoughts?

2. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm no expert, anything but... However, since the Challengers are just trickling out, thus far, Chargers are probably well behind, so I'd not sell my lone other car and be forced to use a rental long term. Is there maybe another option, such as borrowing a car from a friend/relative, or perhaps riding the bus, I know that's not optimum but maybe preferable to selling your car now to get a good price, and then having to wait like half a year to get your new one.

3. Deputydog

Deputydog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ya I would say you're looking at spring before Chargers hit the lots.

4. AvsBest

AvsBest Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I wouldn't do a rental because for all we know, you could get your car in 2016 at this rate, way too risky.

If you want to sell the SRT now that's alright but you should buy a 1k-2k beater instead of having a rental. You won't loose a lot when it's time to dump the beater anyways

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nitewing

Nitewing Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Bus is not an option where I live and work, and I don't know anyone willing to lend me a car. I forgot that getting a better is an option, but I really don't want to buy a potentially unreliable car that u would curse and scream at half the time at the 1-2k price range. Id have to spend more like 4-5k to get a reliable car. Still, it's an option I hadn't given much thought to....

6. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would.find a hellcat on the lot somewhere in the us,, and tell them you need do much from your trade,, off it's nice, and has good miles, you will get good money for it.....but that being said,, trading an srt in at this time of year is not so good,, but if you find the right dealer,, they will pony up for your trade

7. cal45

cal45 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    3. sell my car now, find a Challenger Hellcat on lot for MSRP (I prefer a Charger but definitely would not mind a Challenger, and I've seen a few at MSRP within a few hundred miles).

This option probably is not an option as any dealer that has a Hellcat on their lot today is asking way over MSRP for it.....they just are not advertising it as such. :mad:

8. Nitewing

Nitewing Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah, wish it didn't have to be this time of year, but somebody tell me why Dodge launched these cars in the late fall/winter??

9. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So people won't kill them selfs,, most will sit a few months before they get driven,,, and if you look hard enough, there are dealers selling at msrp

10. Tannehill

Tannehill Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    2 or 4. Do not rent, that's throwing away the extra money you made on selling the car early or could have put toward the Hellcat. Keep your car as long as you can, right now there is no clear info when the Chargers could even get to dealer lots. Judging by the Challenger Hellcat and newer Jeep SRTs a couple years ago, it could be months! Play it safe. Other than limited production exotics, I've never seen a vehicle that can't be found for a reasonable price eventually.

11. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That is a dilemma. If I were in that situation, I would sell my expensive car and find a killer deal on a less expensive car that would be easier to get your money out of when your Hellcat gets in. If you have cash, you can always find a nice car someone has to get rid of that will hold value. Renting would add up fast! My car was one of the first builds and it still took 3 months to get here, and I am lucky!!! Good luck with your decision, the Hllcat is certainly worth the stress...;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Keep your current car OR get a cheaper/economical car...

What SRT8 do you currently have? Year? Mileage?

13. Nitewing

Nitewing Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    2010 Charger, 81k miles on it.

14. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Is it an srt???? What kind of money are you going to try and get out of it

15. ChallengerDad

ChallengerDad SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Keep driving your SRT and wait for the Hellcat Charger. You won't lose that much on the value of your current car (they've held their value very well). I would suggest making a deal with bona-fide numbers now, locking in the numbers, and keep the mileage low until your Cat arrives. Remember, you're dropping the balance you owe with each payment you make. The difference will be minimal in the long run.