My thoughts after a few days of ownership...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by LITSOUT, Jan 5, 2015.

1. LITSOUT

LITSOUT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So, I have been driving my 6MT around on errands and to/from work for a few days now. First part of break in is done and I am starting to get really comfortable with how the car handles. Coming from a 2007 Corvette convertible with the A6 (regretted getting that transmission on my way home from the dealership) I could not be happier.

I was worried that the HC would be horribly overpowered for daily use and want to kill me --- nope. The huge powerband is so easily modulated that driving "normally" is very comfortable and easy. Acceleration is beyond ridiculous and smooth from really any gear. I catch myself just laughing out loud its so crazy fun to drive. I am hoping that with my Bell Sti and Waze I can avoid jail time...

The M6 is spectacular. Believe it or not, it reminds me alot of my old S2000. Its that good. The shifter is just flickable and is easily sent to the right gate. The clutch has perfect take-up it is in no way heavy. I have no idea how Dodge could make a clutch so nice in a 700HP car. I suspect we are reaping the rewards from years of Viper development.

It is loud. My only vette mod was a Corsa exhaust and i thought it was loud. Not even close to the HC. My poor neighbors are so screwed as I usually leave for work at 5:30am.... A good bit of this aural goodness makes it into the cabin and makes by smiles even bigger. I find myself on and off the gas just to hear the SC wind up. My wife will probably complain though...

The ergonomics are right on. Standard seats are comfortable and supportive, but lack enough side bolstering (better in the premium seats?). You could easily drive this car for hours. The electric steering is perfectly set up for this big car. I never expected steering to feel like my S2000 did (and its clearly not in this league) but its not far off what the C6 felt like in car that weighs 1200 lbs more. My vette was Z51 equipped and did not have the magnetorheological shocks. It was horrible on anything other than perfectly paved roads and the main reason I just never fell in love with that car (along with the transmission). The HC is so much better than that even in track mode, though I am mostly in street mode as I learn this car. Street mode is plenty stiff for having fun and driving around. Amazing for such a big car.

The fit and finish is impressive. Perfect paint (Phantom black). No rattles/squeaks. It's just plain solid.

I love Uconnect. My DD is my 2014 diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee and has essentially the same system minus the performance pages. The system is very reliable and fast. Changing modes from say stereo to nav is intuitive and simple. I appreciate the redundant button controls which are easily accessible. The steering wheel controls are also perfect. It is very easy to display whatever you want from Nav guidance to boost pressure to freaking air/fuel ratio. There are so many things to play with with the performance pages I haven't even scratched the surface.

The HK stereo is adequate. Plenty loud and more than bassy enough with the subs. I wish the equalizer had more than three channels to play with. Sirius/XM sound good. Bluetooth streaming sounds even better. I have not done the software upgrade and may not as I am pretty happy so far. Many times, I just turn off the stereo to hear the lovely engine music.

One thing I love about the HC is how understated the look is. There are no tacky badges all over (just the epic Hellcats on the sides and SRT on the back), no ridiculous side skirting, no huge wing. It still gets a crap ton of attention. People seem to intuitively know that the HC is special (plus its loud as hellcat). I know I had the attention of Shelby owner earlier today....

I have the summer tires will be putting the HC away for a bit. I can not imagine what this car will do on a nice warm day.

Thanks for reading,

Matt

• Like Like x 14
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Jwilkinson

Jwilkinson Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very nice write up. Sounds like you love it as much as I do

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very cool, Glad you like it,,,I think this car is going to go down in history as one of the best. I don't remember people taking about other cars like they do this one

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Nice review, did you crank up Back in Black?;)

5. Robert7

Robert7 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Nice review. It is always great to hear impressions after owners drive their cars, especially for those of us waiting on the sidelines for our chance to get behind the wheel. Great job!

I believe the steering is hydraulically assisted for the Hellcat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SublimeHellcat

SublimeHellcat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I appreciate you giving us future owners your impressions. It makes me happy to hear that all this waiting will pay off, one day!

7. LITSOUT

LITSOUT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hydraulically assisted... I stand corrected.

8. Michael Jutovsky

Michael Jutovsky The Mean Green Raccoon Eating Machine Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow! I felt like I was in the car with you!
    Thank you!

9. Brett M

Brett M Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for your detailed review. We all can't wait to experience the thrill of this beautiful beast!

10. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Terrific write-up. Seems like it should be published in Automobile magazine, or Car and Driver, not just be seen on a fan site!
    I cannot wait to own one, still have just a VON but I'm persistent and that usually pays off eventually.
    Thanks for the helpful insights on this unique vehicle.

11. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    nice writeup!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. magnummrk

magnummrk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I took my boss for a ride last Friday (last nice day around here until spring) and I was showing him the different modes and I left in track mode. I was approaching some railroad tracks that I normally go over at 25mph. He wanted me to slow down because I was in "track mode" but I did not. I was very impressed that the car went over them fine and not a rattle/creak

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Kinda funny...I have what I call "Football Tracks" on a playlist...I switched over to that the 2nd day while driving...not sure I could be smiling any bigger when driving this beast....Back in Black, Thunderstruck, Click Click Boom, Rise to Glory...I'm 50...felt like a kid again...

Completely agree with a previous comment "I think this car is going to go down in history as one of the best"... as a car guy, having owned Vettes, Camaros, Trans Ams, etc., this is literally my favorite car and the more I look at what they didn't do (Bat wings, aero kits, etc.) and listening to the engineering of everything from the intake, front splitter, rear spoiler...everything matters for a purpose, the more impressed I am. If this car doesn't win some huge automotive award this year, someone got paid off...it's amazing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. redkey

redkey Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    thanks for the write-up and congrats on being among those fortunate enough to get one!

15. BKuz

BKuz Retired American Fighting Man

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Litsout,

Nice review! You should work for Road and Track or Car and Driver! Great job! Like someone else said, "I felt like I was in the car with you!"

BKuz