My version of a power-tap...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Electronics' started by MrBigKid, Mar 16, 2015.

1. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sometimes I go to far.
    I can over analyze and over do anything. However sometimes the results are, IMHO, worth it. And if nothing else maybe I can give someone ideas or even get suggestions on how to improve my install

Obviously like the rest of you, I can't stand power cables lying over the dash. I prefer things to look clean and neat. So without further ado here is my version of a power-tap for my radar detector and my (future) dash cam.

First to remove the housing I used a panel tool to gently apply pressure to the base of the housing and the glass. It is just snapped on but you do not want to pull it down too hard since there is a secondary piece that attaches over the mirror stem.

Once the housing is loose, get your fingers into it and gently push the tabs in. One on each side.

[​IMG]

Once you have the plastic coverings off, unplug the cable at the bottom of the mirror and twist the mirror off the windshield.

[​IMG]

The wires going to the mirror are rather small and they are already running several sensors and such, so I do not think it is a good idea to tap into them. Instead I will run my own line from a future fuse block I plan to install in the dash under the glove box.

I decided to make 2 taps. One for the RD and one for the Cam. Using what was available I went with 1/8th mono audio jacks. There is considerable room on the passenger side of the housing for hardware. Measuring to insure levelness and clearance I drilled 2 holes in the front housing.

[​IMG]

I then created a stub cable with 18ga wire and a molex connector. If needed in the future I can drop the housing and disconnect easily. I soldered and heat shrunk every connection. I might have over done the several layers of heat shrink but it is most certainly secure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I inserted the audio jacks into the holes and secured the nut. Then folded the cable to lay in the channel with the molex connector reaching the top of the housing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maybe next weekend I can install the fuse block and run my wire to the molex connector. Until then I'm still using the 12v cord. Using the 1/8th connectors I will make another power cable for my RD and it will plug in to the mirror nice and cleanly.

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Saved for fuse block...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great step
    By step. I hope other members find it useful plus your fuse block post later on. Keep up the good and thoughtful post!

4. Hubbs

Hubbs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice work! I'm actualy more interested in the wiring of the fuse block. That seems like it may be a bit more complicated. I'll stay tuned!

5. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have all the pieces to put it together, just worked one weekend and got the car damaged the next, maybe this weekend I can finish it out and get the d block installed.

6. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great share! Thanks! Lookng good.

7. Slowhand

Slowhand Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Cool writeup. One thing missing is how to reattach the mirror. Its not easy. And you can remove the plastic housing without detaching the mirror.