Mystery Surrounds Hemi Upgrades, 5.7 to Hellcat

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Steven_sbs, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Found this on allpar.com:

Mystery Surrounds Hemi Upgrades 5.7 to Hellcat Allpar News

Sources have told Allpar that the 5.7 and 6.4 Hemi V8s are both being upgraded, but details remain in short supply.

The engines are still competitive, but direct injection would raise low-end torque for the 5.7 and increase economy for any Hemi. Raising fuel economy would cut or end the need for Chrysler to buy CAFE credits (despite class-leading diesel pickups).

[​IMG]

The changes will likely not come in time for the 2016 model year, according to our sources, though earlier information had them “within six months.”

We still don’t know which car or truck will be the first to get updated Hemis, or if the company can meet their timetables. Both engines’ upgrades have been in the works for quite some time, but resources are relatively scarce, and the company has been working upgrading all of its engines.

As for the Hellcat, there are reports that the powerful engine is being modified in two ways. First, for the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, it is reportedly being retuned for greater refinement, to match the character of the car and buyer; this may result in a power reduction. Second, for 2017, the company apparently hopes to have a horsepower boost. Ford and Shelby recently announced an engine that beats the Hellcat, but the car it’s in is far more expensive, will be produced in much lower numbers, and is not made by Ford itself; Dodge/SRT/FCA engineers may be working to upgrade the power ratings of the Hellcat to beat that target. .

2. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  3. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    All I can say is after getting out of my HC my R/T is a dog with so so brakes:eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not sure but I heard something about the 5.7 with 415HP and the 6.4 with 540HP I'll see if I can dig up that info

5. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I hope if they do upgrade the Hellcat this ends up being a Stage kit package for the rest of us

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The 5.7L Hemi currently at work in the Dodge Challenger R/T offers 372 or 375 horsepower (depending on the transmission chosen) and 410lb-ft of torque while the four door Dodge Charger R/T packs 370hp and 395lb-ft of torque. There is really no domestic competition for the Charger but the Dodge Challenger has to compete with the Ford Mustang GT which offers 420hp and 390lb-ft of torque and the Chevrolet Camaro SS which packs 426hp and 420lb-ft of torque. My sources have indicated that the 5.7L Hemi engines being tested right now offer “over 400 horsepower” and “more torque than the current Challenger R/T”. Even if the new 5.7L Hemi only jumps to 410 horsepower and 425lb-ft of torque – both of which are very realistic figures with some minor tweaks here and there – it would go a long way in closing the gap between itself and the powerful V8 muscle car engines offered by the cross-town rivals. Dodge has proven that the Challenger will sell with less power than the competitors so the Chrysler Group doesn’t necessarily need to beef up the 5.7L Hemi to beat Ford’s 5.0 and GM’s LS3 but if they can close the gap between the Challenger and the other American muscle cars – it could pay off in the sales race.