Need advice and opinions...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by Havoc, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Havoc

Havoc Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey All,

I need some advice and opinions.

There is a B5 satin hooded Hellcat coming into my dealership next week.

The salesman said they hadn't sold a Hellcat below 10k over MSRP. I told him I wasn't going to be a sucker who pays over MSRP. He came back and said his manager would give it to me at MSRP. I didn't have to haggle the guy at all for that quick comeback. I wondered, is there any play on the MSRP? Should I attempt it at all?

What are some rates you guys are getting? I'm seeing people getting in the low 2's and in some cases right under 2%

Right now, I plan on keeping this car for some time. I want to drive it around on the weekends, maybe a couple of weeknights, have some fun, and baby it. I wanted to get your opinion on the extended warranties. I would really like to have a hassle free experience with this car and it just be fun to have and drive around. The MOPAR warranties seem to be pretty expensive, at least from what my dealer is showing me. I've heard you can get it through MOPAR online for a lot cheaper. It's a matter of years kept than miles driven I think. Being told the 8yr/120k is $4900 for bumper to bumper.

What do you guys think of regular service plans? The basics. They're telling me 6yr regular service and rotations is around $900.

Road Hazard? Worth it?

Initially I didn't like the fact that this thing was going to have a satin hood. Mostly because of the 2k addition to price, but after seeing pic, I like it. I do worry about the care it would need so it doesn't ruin. Do I trust the dealer to wash this thing off the truck or tell them not to? I hear once that hood is scratched, it doesn't go away, buff out, etc.

I've never had any Major problems with vehicles that I had owned ('97 Camry/'07 Altima), however, I've never spent this much on a vehicle and have never bought brand new. I've also never owned something that could potentially be expensive if there is a problem down the road just because...Hellcat. I happen to be in a pretty good place in my life to be able to buy this thing and besides my having a dream supercar, this beast was next on my list...and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Thanks for you help and opinions.

2. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I expect that the car is a 2016 which probably has some of the 2015 "bugs" worked out which is good!

But, since you mentioned the warranty, the 16s have 40,000 less miles of warranty right off of the bat.
    I have a 15 (Sublime) which Dodge is replacing with a 16(Granite Crystal) but I can't speak about the
    extended or aftermarket warranty or service plans. If the car is issue free for a couple of thousand miles
    I'll void the warranty with mods anyway. I'm sure that some of the other nice folks on this site will have
    some helpful advice and opinions for you about the warranties.

My sublime car has a satin hood. It looks great if you don't look very closely. The satin paint has a lot of
    "trash" in it from the factory. Some do and some do not. Nothing that I couldn't live with mind you but it
    did bug me enough to NOT order it on the replacement car. The incoming B5 (love the color) may have
    a flawless satin hood. I hope that it does. I can tell you that a clear protective "bra" like xpel or sunshade
    would be a great idea for the hood. My 15 has it and it makes the satin look much better to everyone that
    commented on it to me. Plus it protects it. The satin paint is super soft and very easy to scratch so be very
    careful with it.

If you are getting the car for MSRP that's great. It never hurts to try and get a little more off, especially in
    the winter months when 4x4 vehicles seem to sell better and the "hot rods" fall off a little.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!

3. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    be happy with MSRP....very few have gotten lower.....its where the market is right now, so your paying normal price

inspect the car well....DONT ASSUME A NEW CAR IS PERFECT!!!!!...inspect it like your buying a $65k car...it better be flawless....and you will find some flaws somewhere.....look at it in full sun light....matte finish shows scratches as shiny lines...i walk around my new cars 3-4x's looking at it from every angle...look for dents, scratches, paint issues, check your rims out for scratches/chips, look over the interior...try everything out (my 2011 had a blower motor that didnt work....also had a bird poop stain in stripe that never came out--needed to be at just the right angle to see it...it was HUGE-most likely a goose poop)

dont accept it if it has issues...move on and find another...dont be a sucker who gets too excited and pays full price for a car they have to repaint....dodge has had horrible paint since at least 2011...my brothers 2012 300 needed a repaint on the rear 1/4.........there will be dirt in the paint...they all have it....look for it....mine is very minor....some are horrible...runs in the clear coat? some have it....missalligned tail pipes or exhaust tips or hood?

some have found scratches on the SC

tell them if they drill the front license plate holes you dont want the car....ill bet many here wouldnt take the car with them drilled (i wouldnt)...

i have 2.75% on my GT500.....im guessing you can find similar still.....i havent financed since 2013, so i dont know where the % is at

i took my gt500 w/o washing..right off the truck....i took all the plastic off.....w/ my HC it was on the showroom floor all roped off....it had gone through salt as i found salt inside the trunk around the gasket....it will get micro scratches no matter what you do...most will come from the factory with them....if its salt free id ask for it not to be washed...if its all dirty id ask them to wash it before you inspect it....i wouldnt put any $$ into the car w/o looking it over...then go write it up and take it home

good luck!

• Like Like x 2
  4. graycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    huggytree has some good advice. I didn't mention to much about the paint because you asked about the satin
    hood but my green car has some paint issues. One issue that it has and I've heard of several others having it
    is "bubbles" on the bottom leading edge of the driver's side door. In other words you will need to get down on
    your knees and look at the bottom corner of the door right behind the front fender. Another common issue is
    the runs in the clear coat. Mine had it on the passenger's side front fender where the fender meets the bumper
    cover. Right at the seam. This can be fixed with a little bit of elbow grease and some sanding and buffing. Not
    a deal breaker in my opinion but you should be aware of it.

And yes, it there's salt anywhere on the car. It HAS GOT TO BE WASHED!!! Thoroughly. It causes oxidation
    if it isn't washed away or neutralized in some fashion.

5. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    my HC was bought 1-2-15 and was driven home through a rain/freezing rain storm...it had salt from the delivery truck and was all salted up from me too......just put a sprinkler under the car for a bit to flush it out...i have a hot water outside for washing cars......mine is spotless underneath.....no issues 12 months later.....

if your like me and put 3,000 a year or less on your car extended warranties are worthless

that said your buying a Dodge....Dodge always ranks at the bottom of quality when compared to other brands...realize your buying a B grade product....its my 2nd Challenger and the only Dodge id ever consider buying....i buy the car accepting it will have issues and flaws.....if your buying it thinking it has Honda build quality you will be dissapointed.....im a fussy SOB and am pleased with mine.....best looking car on the road
    get a clear bra ASAP and get Drag radials in the rear.....those 2 are a must in my opinion...id wrap that hood to protect it....i have AAR side stripes...i brushed against it once and it left a shiny mark.....the matte finish is something your going to have to baby...i like the look.....but i suspect the painted matte hoods will look like crap in 2-3 years....thats why id pay $1,200 clear bra the whole front,hood and sides....i have the colored hood and did a 1/3 hood clear bra.....i did the clear bra and DR's at 500 miles....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We financed last week. The rates for us were / are 1.49% for a term of 12-36 months, 2.25% 48-60 months and 2.49% for 60 months. They knocked 0.25% off if we did automatic payments. Not sure how this squares with the rest of the world.....but it's fairly fresh intel.

You will have to decide what your comfort level is in terms of the extended warranty. I decided against an extended warranty with our Hellcat. I purchased one for my 2013 Boss.....fearing catastrophic events with an extremely high tech engine. Three years later I just turned over 5,000 miles and I've got two years left of the warranty I will never use. I could have used that $2000 and upgraded my suspension sooner rather than later. But again....that is a really a personal decision.

I would strongly recommend having a high quality film applied to the front and hood of the car, like Huggytree recommended. I think this is especially true with the metallic paints. Touch ups or even trying to match these paints would be a nightmare.....and I have one of the Tri coat colors. I didn't do this on my mustang because I knew very little about XPEL....and now I wish that car would have been done back when it was new. It's amazing how many little dings you get on the painted surfaces of the front from simply driving around. Below is my car being wrapped right on the showroom floor. Pictures courtesy of Larry Millen, Clear Auto Bra Michigan.

image3.jpg image4.jpg image2.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DrRouse

DrRouse Rookie Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome!
    My sublime has flawless paint and after 4 months and 2000 miles, no problems at all.
    I got the extended warranty from Chrysler because I did not want any hassles with potentially expensive repairs. Note that these warranties have nearly 100 percent markup! With that in mind, I was able to get the warranty discounted $2000.
    Since the selling dealer will be my servicing dealer, I am treated very well. The cat is by far the most expensive car dodge sells so you should be treated well, and knowing you have the factory warranty, they will court your business.
    By the way, I have owned Dodges continually since 1998 and reliability has absolutely not been an issue.
    So in my opinion, definitely get the warranty but negotiate the price. It gets added to the overall cost so if you finance the car it only adds a few dollars to the payments.
    You will really enjoy your cat!
    Have fun and let us know how it turns out.

8. Cerino2000

Cerino2000 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Heck ya there's play on msrp...you just gotta play. Fact is the market is right now on a swing to the buyers. Try it. what's the worst that will happen?

9. graycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with Cerino2000. If you can find the car that you want I would expect most dealers to be more
    "flexable" right now than they will be in the warmer months. So if you find the right car, work on the dealer
    and see where you can get the car priced at. "What's the worst that can happen?"

10. Havoc

Havoc Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey all,

Thanks for the replies and advice. I read over them awhile back and kept some things in mind.

My Hellcat arrived this past Saturday! Two other people were waiting to buy the car when I got there if I backed out. While I didn't enjoy writing the check for the down payment, I haven't had one thought of regret ever since. Awesome vehicle. I did end up adding a 7yr/75k bumper to bumper and 7yr/70k basic maintenance package so I just don't have to worry about much. I planned it around putting 10k or less a year on the vehicle and it ended up being much less than the other 100k/120k plans. Couldn't work them below MSRP, but I did get 1.99% at 60 months.

The paint arrived in good shape. I had them hand wash the car after inspecting it to get some of the oily residue off from the plastic wrap. I checked around the forum and it looks like people like Dr. Beasley's stuff for the satin hood. So I'm contacting them about that. But if I get a clear wrap on it, I wouldn't have to care much for it afterwards?

Now, the only sour part of the experience...

Salesman took it back for inspection and wash...whoever did it back there drilled the front plates after being told not to... ::facepalm:: I was so excited about the car, that even while inspecting the wash job afterward, I didn't even notice the front bracket on until after I left the dealership! It happened, my sales guy didn't even notice it, and was pretty upset. I quickly got over it and haven't paid too much attention to it. I know there are some ways to plug and paint them. I might look into that a little later. Let me know if you guys have any recommendations for that. Right now I just want to enjoy it.

I attached some pics.

Thanks again, guys!

Attached Files:

11. graycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    WAHOOOOO!!! Happy for you. ENJOY :D

12. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats!

Down here in VA they require front plate so bracket is a fact of life. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Get her broke in and then drive it like you stole it!