Need Help/Advice

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by AKHellCat, Dec 17, 2015.

1. AKHellCat

AKHellCat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello everyone!
    I'm having a bit of. A dilemma I'm hoping to get some help/advice with.
    I ordered a 2016 Challenger Hellcat through a dealer allocation in September. The car arrived to my dealer in Fairbanks Alaska yesterday. I have not taken delivery of the car yet, and need advice before doing so.
    There are several spots on the car where the paint looks and feels like sandpaper. These spots are very visible to the naked eye inside the shop. The dealer has attempted to buff them out without success. I'm told the car will have to go to a local repair facility to be sanded and repainted. I've called and talked to SRT customer service, and received less than stellar news or support. I'm basically given two options.
    1. Take delivery of car and let them fix issue (no factory concession)
    2. Don't take delivery and wait until February for another allocation.

My dilemma...
    Not real happy to spend $70K on a new car that won't have factory paint. Any price reduction has to come from dealer, nothing from Chrysler...
    If I don't take delivery, I'm screwed on my color choice because PCP will not be available after January, and new allocations won't be released until February...
    If I search around and find another one available the same as what I've ordered (placed deposit and spec'd out what I Wanted) I'll have to spend the money to ship it to Alaska, and still be responsible for any shipping damages.
    I'm overly happy with Dodge/Chrysler with their unwillingness to help. In the last two years, this makes the 4th new vehicle purchased.
    1. 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Limited 5.7
    2. 2014 Dodge Ram Longhorn 1500
    3. 2014 Dodge Challenger SRT
    4. 2016 Dodge Challenger HellCat

Sooo, any advice??? Help???

I look forward to hearing any input!
    Thank you!

2. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Firstly, let me extend you a hearty welcome to the forum!

I am truly sorry to read about the bad paint, and I understand your frustration, but unfortunately, the Brampton Plant that these cars are built at is well known for needing a new paint facility in the worst way. I was one of the lucky ones ... my only paint complaint was several debris spots under the clear coat, which was easily resolved with a wet sand and buff by my local collision center. There are so many really bad paint flaws surfacing in MANY cars here on the forum that to be blunt, you will probably have a higher quality paint job from the local facility than you would have from the factory. Just make certain that you check out the collision center and are happy with their reputation. I adore my local collision center, they ROCK! (long story behind that statement .. .my husband's previous ride was a wildlife magnet and he had to have a ton of body work done on numerous occasions).

You asked for opinions, and honestly, if it were me, I would take the car, and file the warranty claim on the paint (that is why there is a warranty). I live in South Georgia so I can drive my car year round ... I am assuming that the car you are considering would be stored for the majority, if not all, of the time until spring, so it is not like you will be missing a lot of driving time while it is being painted. I would be afraid that if I waited until the next allocation, I would not get the color I wanted (kinda like what happened to me in reverse for my 2015 HC last year). Also, if you wait on the next car, it might have a bad paint job, too, and by the time it was built and delivered, adding time in the paint shop would be eating into your driving time.

Ultimately, you must do some inner searching and make the decision that is best for you ... good luck, and let us know what you decide.

April

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. One Ton Racer

One Ton Racer Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Having owned one for 6 months I have gone through various phases from almost not wanting to drive it in case it got a mark on it to where I am now.

Where I am now is; life is too short to stress about the little things.

Accept the car, get them to take it to a good painter & be happy.

Unless it is a Garage Queen, a year from now it will likely have a couple of marks that you will be able to see and you probably won't be able to see where the paint issue was fixed.

Mine has 2 marks, one caused by me & one by someone else scratching it slightly. The smile on my face every time I drive it wipes away any concerns. Also, knowing it is slightly flawed takes away most concerns about future flaws.

I had a door on my SUV repaired & painted & couldn't tell the difference from factory original when done.
    IMHO a good paint shop will make it look as good as new.

Enjoy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. AKHellCat

AKHellCat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

5. AKHellCat

AKHellCat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the info/advice! I'll confess to having a bit of ocd when it comes to my vehicles. I'm hoping to see some concession from the dealer today, but obviously it's not their fault. Was very disappointed in SRT customer service with their lack of understanding and unwillingness to hep out, other than state that "they need the opportunity to fix the problem." You are right April, in that the car will be stored a great deal of time. I currently own a 2014 Chally SRT, that only has 1135 miles on it, due to driving season, weather and work schedule. I have the Chally, and my wife's fully restored 66 Mustang stored in a separate heated, insured and secure facility... So, yep I'm a bit ocd... image.png image.jpeg I

• Like Like x 2
  6. FarAwayFromHere

FarAwayFromHere Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome from Alberta, Canada
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    What April Said!
    Ultmately it is up to you though,
    It is your car, you will decide!
    Far

7. Shasta's Dad

Shasta's Dad Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Like april77 said, welcome to the site. I don't know if my thoughts will help, or, not. How long did you wait on the car? I waited over 8 months and finally got a car from another dealer(I guess my original one showed up 1.5 months later). Sounds like you wouldn't be sure of getting one on the Feb. allocation. I "think" I would take the car. go and see what the best body shop around says, and go from there. There's a stone chip on the bottom of the mirror on the passenger side, it's not visible, unless you look under the mirror, but, I know it's there. I also have a stone chip in the windshield, which really bugs me, but, I won't replace it until it turns into a long crack. Whatever you decide, you'll have fun:D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Harley88

Harley88 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    whats greater fear? Not getting one at all, or having one with a paint flaw?
    flaws can be repaired. .. And while its in the shop, might as well add... fill in the blanks .... and MOD away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Given the full circumstances, TAKE THE CAR!

10. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Tough decision but after I waited 397 days for mine I had made up mind to take it and deal with any flaws. Fortunately the paint was fine - not perfect. Had I not taken it, I would still be waiting for another opportunity.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  11. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the forum!!!!

I agree with pretty much everything that has been posted here and april77 pretty much posted my same
    post, just before me and with more thoughtful grammar ;)

If it's possible, you may want to ask someone from the paint and body shop that you would use to go
    to the dealership, look at the car and give you their opinion. It may be possible to clean, sand and just
    reshoot the clear and not even get into the base coat. If so, the color will be the unaffected because
    it's the same color that you are seeing now, and if the painter is pretty good with judging the amount
    of, or lack of, orange peel in the paint now, and how to try and match it, you may get away with little
    or no buffing and a very close match overall.

It's a good idea to keep in mind, like some others here have posted, it WILL get some other type of
    imperfections, even just sitting in a climate controlled storage area 95% of the time, if you ever drive
    it, something will happen. Once it has a little bit of "use" on it, the rest probably won't hurt as bad.

Best of luck to you! Enjoy that car if you get it. In fact, if you do get it, you may want to put some miles
    on it before fixing the dry spots in the clear.

12. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i think you'd be a sucker to accept the car.....let someone else own a repainted new car

do a search, find one sitting on a dealer lot and fly/drive and get it this week

dont order and wait again.

ordering has many flaws...you just found the biggest...it arrives after waiting months...and it has flaws....you waited and feel like you have to take it.....i passed on my ordered 2011 IE because it had baggy seats (a problem back then on the first 500 made)......what did i do???? i found one 1.5 hours away, drove and got it...also paid $-2500 less than my ordered car....

its winter....these cars are listed hourly here for msrp.......its not a hard decision....

take a flawed $70k car and your a sucker

13. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The body shop paint is probably better than the factory. FCA does a low grade paint job.

Work is only as good as the shop but I would have no problems with a paint job.

My father and I had 2005 matching Ram 2500 Cummins turbo Diesels 4x4 quad cab in "Atlantic Blue". Trucks were 3 years old at the time. My was outdoors and got hail damage his was in the garage. Mine needed complete repaint on both sides roof and hood. ( I was driving thru the storm ). We sold both trucks in 2012. Mine was rust free and looked like new with almost 200K on it his had only 78k and was rusted out along the doors, wheel openings and fenders. Proof the body shop paint was better. I sold my truck for more money than his with twice the mileage.
    We are pretty close in the care of our trucks, they got washed and waxed very regular.

14. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well... that is a bummer. You have two things not working in your favor. First being located in Alaska really limits your options for going to another dealer... yeah you could go on line and find one... them make a deal with the dealer but you really need to look at it to make sure everything is right... then ship it to Alaska that sounds complicated and expensive. The second issue is the color... PCP to be discontinued so that limits your options. Depending on where the flaws are IMHO I would be leaning toward taking the car with the understanding with the dealer that they are going to make it 100% right... Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

15. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dodge will not get the paint issue solved anytime soon so I would take it .