Need help and recommendations on the rear suspension!

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Builds' started by DGatzby, Jun 13, 2016.

1. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Okay, those few that know or follow me know I am trying to tame this rear end for wheel hop and for road racing. I will report after attempting to use these rear Spohn adjustable connecting arms with their Delrin bushings a failure larger than the bad software update the dealer installed on my car. These things leak grease all over their adjacent parts and my wheels and basically smell and sound horrible. Their jamb nuts will NOT stay in place even with liberal blue lock tight and physically hammering the nuts home exceeding the 70 ft-lb specified. They are not correct parts for our car anyway and upon frame squat the right one squeezes the fuel line shut! I won't mention the member who recommended these, but I will not listen to any of his recommendations again, since he is zero for two on his recommendations of mods for me. I have had my rear wheels off three times this past week and the next time the rear cradle is coming off again for connecting arm replacement! They still sound like hell and click and squeak like I am driving a 300,000 mile junker. I am done with them and will enjoy taking a plasma cutter to them to destroy their worthless existence. Spohn, you know they are not correct and continue to list them on your website, shame on you. I will not even ask for a refund, because I don't need another hassle with another aftermarket manufacturer that sells items inappropriate for their intended purpose.

I have three choices and I need help, because the choices are few and the bushing selection is a bit confusing:

1. Spend another $600 plus installation for the Razor's Edge adjustable arms. Easy, expensive, but the arms are proven, have good looking NON GREASABLE bushings and are adjustable in case it is needed.
    2. Find an appropriate set of bushings and replace the OEM bushings and re-install the OEM arms with new bushings. May be as expensive as Razors Edge and not easy to adjust, re-uses the OEM arms.
    3. Just put the OEM arms back on and live with the wheel hop, no bushing change.

Which of these choices are the bushings for our rear connectors? Prothane Suspension Parts: Challenger, dodge challenger 2015

Another thing I am having trouble finding is replacement rear cradle bushings. Some of us know that even after replacing the connecting arm rubber flexible bushings the rear cradle still moves around enough to break certain other very expensive components including items in our drivetrain. Are these correct? Whiteline REAR CRADLE MOUNT Bushing KIT Charger Magnum Challenger SRT8

Thanks, looking for input as I have other (replacement of replacement after market parts) on the way this week, so the car will be seeing some real wrench time again soon. I have more road racing instruction as well as my first NASA HDPE run in two weeks to be ready for.

2. HadesGata

HadesGata Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have you considered the hopnot kit?

3. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have. I do not like the equipment hanging down. Also, it does not get the cradle and connector bushings a bit more stiff for road racing. Trying to get two birds with one shot here.

4. Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat
    Record Holder
    Fastest HC Charger/Record Holder

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    (440) 787-7235
    You can give Eric a call at BFNY
    He sells solid cradle Bushings and may be able to help you with other suspension parts.
    Also ask Eric about stiffening up the cradle.
    He is well known to us in our modern mopar srt8 platform and has been doing some work on Hell Cats. He knows me just tell him Linda Sent you his way.

Linda :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks Linda, I will call him.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    First I have heard of a problem with the spohn kits . Now I need to go check mine thanks! For the update.

7. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you don't notice any noise they are probably fine. From the start I must have a rotten part because they have made noise unless we rechecked and rechecked. Now everything is dead tight and they sound as horrible as any piece of junk have heard going down the road. It was not taken to two places yesterday because I am embarrassed to drive it.

8. PlumTexasCrazy

PlumTexasCrazy HELLCAT LIFE MEMBER Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry brother can't help u out in that department!! I hope u get it figured out for the rest of us!! Had fun a COTA today!! I'll definitely need some upgrading soon!!