Need help removing front bumper cover

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by B5Cat, May 6, 2016.

1. B5Cat

B5Cat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello,
    My carbon fiber kit arrived and was hoping someone could help me out with taking off the front cover. I have both fender liners removed. Lower engine cover and front cover in front of the engine cover removed. Upper cover's in front of the radiator. The two 10mm nuts on each side (1 upper and 1 half way down). The one 10mm bolt on each side that is between the side marker and the fender liner. The 10mm bolt on each side that bolts the lower spoiler to the fender in each wheel well. But there still seems to something else that is holding it on. It is somewhere by the side marker. Called B Woody but they are closed. Anybody have any ideas?

2. moparmangamble

moparmangamble Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You pop off the rubber grommets underneath , I think there is 5 of them, hiding fasteners .

3. B5Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the advice, but I did all the grommets and clips. There is a bolt somewhere that I am missing. I feel this way since it is very tight right around where the side markers are and it feels like a bolt or nut not like a clip or grommet that would flex since they are plastic. . Any other ideas would be great..

4. rwhite692

rwhite692 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Stop. You don't need to remove the fender liners.

1- Jack up car, remove both front wheels (makes job much easier). Get some blue painter's tape or similar, and tape up the fender line right up to where the facia meets up with the fender. This will protect the paint, when you go to put the facia back on.

2- Take out the two close-out panels at the upper radiator / hood latch area (they just lift out)

3- There are a total of six (re-usable) push-pins across the top where the facia connects to the radiator support, remove those

4- At the very upper corner of the fender on the inside where it meets up with the fender there is a stud with a 10mm (silver colored) flange nut, remove those (1 on each side)

5- Remove the three factory plastic rivets (they are not re-usable) at the lower portion of the fender liner where it meets up with the vertical portion of the front splitter. You can either drill them out or, I like to just shear the heads off of them with a small sharp chisel. Do this carefully, so as not to gouge the fender liner, etc...it takes seconds.

6- Push the liner in, away from the fender edge (it is flexible enough to be simply pushed out of the way) get your flashlight in there and you will see that, about 8" down from the nut you removed in step #4, there is the same (longer) stud w/ flange nut, remove those (one on each side). I use a deep 10mm socket, on a 3/8 universal joint, and two 8" long extensions, and I can do it in seconds

7- At the upper end of the vertical portion of the front splitter is a black colored bolt w/10mm head. remove that (one on each side)

8- Grab the facia below the side marker light and pull it away from the car, the facia bracket will disengage with a *POP* from the fender - don't worry, you wont break anything, it takes a decent amount of force to pop loose from the connection bracket. (Repeat on other side of car)

9- Get a helper to assist you with carefully pulling the facia away from the car.

You will need the plastic rivets and rivet tool (Get it from Harbor Freight, the tool works fine, and the rivets are the same as any other)

Poly Hand Riveter Kit 41 Pc

Once you have done the whole drill, you will be able to do it very quickly. I have had mine off 2x now (for front splitter, and halo installs) and I can pull it off in probably 15 minutes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Useful Useful x 4
  5. B5Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you I'll give it a try tomorrow. I already taped the fenders with duct tape just to play it safe like you suggested. It just seems very tight like something was holding it up? I will give it a try tomorrow.. I took the inner fender liners out to clean up some of the suspension parts. I got the car in April last year and I think the trip down from Canada to Texas where I bought the car from resulted in a few of the suspension pieces starting to rust. I'm just a detail nut, the car never goes out in the rain, lucky for me I have another car as a daily driver. Just want to keep it perfect:))

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. rwhite692

rwhite692 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Make sure you get the long 10mm black bolt located at the upper end of the vertical portion of the front splitter, on each side.. They are in a little "cavity" of sorts, and somewhat easy to miss.

7. B5Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That one is the 10mm one, with the torque head. Correct?

8. B5Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When u: " Grab the facia below the side marker light and pull it away from the car" do you pull it forward or downward?

9. rwhite692

rwhite692 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Pull straight out and away from the fender - not forward or down.

10. rwhite692

rwhite692 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Yes, it is a 10mm hex head bolt with a torx on the head also (so you can just use a 10mm socket on it, there is no need for a torx driver)

11. B5Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow it's really easy when you now how it comes apart. Once the bolts are out, u pull the side out and the whole nose ones off..
    Next is taking the rear cover off. Any instructions on that?
    Thank you again...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dear goodness. I hope you meant masking tape.

13. B5Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No duct tape. I bought a roll from harbor freight (really cheap stuff) then I rolled the adhesive side on my shirt to make it less adhesive then applied it. I already removed it from the car. I like using it since it gives u a little more protection that masking tape..

14. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well. That works too I guess.

Just don't go straight duct tape.

Like confusing astroglide and superglue.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. rwhite692

rwhite692 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

No problem, glad it worked out well for you. I have no experience (yet!) with rear bumper cover removal, sorry!