NEED HELP/ Thoughts on my decision on the factory repaint

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by BeeHappy, Aug 30, 2015.

1. BeeHappy

BeeHappy Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I helped the delivery guy get it off the trailer. The dealership was great and with 2 miles on it when it rolled off the truck.....they allowed me to ride with the tech for the PDI, it now has 12 miles on it.

It had a few scratches that were noted at the distribution center so I have an available factory re-paint if I want one, I have it sitting at dealer now waiting for my decision..........

tempted to work a deal to Y2 yellow the thing and it still technically be all prior to delivery......

1. does anyone know of anyone getting a re-paint??

2. If the re-paint is done, if the car color changes before delivery, how rare would this then make the car?

3. where do you call for production #'s such as...how many green,red,black,blue HC's were made this yr?

2. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yellow not available in 2015 so it will look like a repaint

3. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    unless the scratches are really noticeable--ask for a cash settlement--they will do it. I would NOT advise a repaint--you can't duplicate factory quality through aftermarket. I am have a lot of experience in the auto industry for what it's worth.

Best of luck regardless.

4. Teo

Teo Judge Yooper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Detonator Yellow was last available in Nov to Dec of 2009 for the 2010 md yr. I am still kicking myself for NOT hanging on to that ride!! :(:(:(:(

It IS the brightest Yellow out there! :eek:

Only 1100 made total! Approx 550 of the R/T's and 550 of the SRT's with only approx 220 in the M6's ! Error | SRT Hellcat Forum

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  5. BeeHappy

BeeHappy Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    cash settlement? Any suggestions or guidance?

6. Teo

Teo Judge Yooper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I highly doubt that FCA will completely dis-assemble and re-paint to Det. Yellow! Doesn't hurt to ask though? But I really do doubt that. If they are giving you options? And do you trust your local dealers paint shop? Then have it re-done by them! Or negotiate a cash settlement and do a body wrap to the color of your choice. Do get quotes locally as to a re-paint b-4 you agree to any settlement! Then your color can always be changed when you are tired of that color or color scheme? You will not know, until YOU ask!:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have any pics of the damage? What color is the car as a scratch on a dark color can be a much bigger deal than on say a white car.
    If the damage is minor ( and not affect your ability to resale and the car value ) I would never paint as IMO the car may always be perceived as being wrecked / repaired.
    Would you buy a used Hellcat that has been painted?
    If I could live with the scratch I would at least ask for a free FCA backed extended warrantee or cash.
    I know on my wife's Jetta after someone hit her car then repaired ( repair looked perfect) but I I was able to get ( with lots of work) an additional $1,500 for diminished value as the car will never be the same as factory. That $1,500 was on a $18K Jetta, What could diminished value be on a painted Hellcat now or say 10-15 years from now?
    If I could not live with the scratch I would not buy the car but thats me.
    Just my $.002

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  8. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    so you would buy a repainted car w/ 5 miles on it for full price????

you would buy a devalued car for full price?

i put mine in a ditch and had to repaint the front bumper on the ride home(day 1)......im stuck with a car that many people wouldnt pay full price for......its not what i wanted.......your knowing about it before hand and your still accepting it..

dump the car
    find another

or ask for $5k off to accept it......no way id pay full price for a damaged car

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. HellTORREDcat

HellTORREDcat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

A reputable body shop can provide a baked high quality refinish better than factory.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    my repainted bumper doesnt match......ive seen worse examples that are 100% factory paint though.....so it doesnt stand out...

a repainted new car isnt worth new car price........a used car w/ a repaint isnt worth what a factory painted car is unless its a 30 year old fully restored car

i just dont get why you'd even bother....let someone else buy that car

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HellTORREDcat

HellTORREDcat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    From a value standpoint I tend to agree with you. It's only original once. But if its scratched take a discount and have it fixed.

12. rwhite692

rwhite692 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    FCA is not going to repaint your whole car, let alone indulge your fantasy of repainting the entire car in another color.

They will perform panel repair at a dealer body shop or at a body shop subcontracted by the dealer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ljaviation

ljaviation Self proclaimed Banned, Because I can.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry about your misfortune. I would walk away or take it with a discounted price. If it was me, I would probably cry after waiting 8.5 months, scream obscenities, and walk away. A repaint on my brand new car would be unacceptable to me.
    I know there are great painters out there, but the original paint is only once, and from the dealership as new, without a discount, I would walk.
    I'm sure they would have some one right behind you to buy it and not care.
    Tough choice, how bad do you want it.?
    No help here I guess.
    L J

14. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree. They aren't going to change colors. They're going to repaint the panel. That's all

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BeeHappy

BeeHappy Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I now have the 2 inspection reports...1 that was done when the car was pulled off the train and put at holding yard in Dixiana SC. The other is report is where it was inspected before loading on the truck...the latter is where the "scuffs" were noticed...so the Dixiana Yard was the culprit......I am going to have 2 high end bodyshops come and give quotes on "repaint".