Need Recommendation for Wheel Locks

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Robo21, May 20, 2016.

1. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have the Satin Black OEM wheels on a 2016 Challenger HC, looking for best wheel locks. Also, can someone confirm, is wheel theft a problem on the HC? I seem to remember reading somewhere there might be an issue.

Thanks in advance!

2. Jettster

Jettster Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not sure if they are frequently stolen but the replacement cost is high... my Cat has Gorilla lock lugs on all 20-they look killer in black chrome...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Srt8u

Srt8u Silver Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
  4. rgigowski

rgigowski SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    First of all, wouldn't comprehensive insurance cover theft of stolen wheels? I know the wheels are expensive to purchase but in the case of stolen wheels they should be covered under comprehensive. Of course there is still the deductible to contend with.

Even so, I would hate to see the bad guys get away with anything. And there is still the lost time and trouble of having to replace the wheels.

I'm trying to gather as much information as possible before pulling the trigger. I have seen various posts about problems with the Gorilla system including rusting issues, diminished contact area with the wheel compared to the stock lug nuts, and problems with deformation of the Gorilla nuts. Also that there might be some kind of a problem with torque?

For all I know the people reporting problems with the Gorilla system might be the exception rather than the rule.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rgigowski

rgigowski SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Look deeper... Guys on the boards have been running these on their Vipers and Hellcats.

Only two months with mine but I like the look and have have no issue with anything.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks rgigowski, this is why I put it out there. There are always going to be people who can find issues with the best products. It's good to get some positive input.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tire God 2.0

Tire God 2.0 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wheel locks are a good theft deterent. But it's not steal proof. I've had some vehicles get towed in with 4 spares on and they had had locks. Multiple people have told me that the officers that did the police report told them that the new thing is they are using liquid nitrogen to freeze the locks and with one tap of a hammer they shatter. Most of the time, a their will see the locks and go to the next car that doesn't have them. Still, try not to park in shady areas haha. The most common vehicle I have seen get the wheels stole from are the previous body style Chevy Tahoe that had the chrome clad 20" wheels. The wheels, tires and sensors sell for big money. And the fit on basically every chevy truck or SUV in existence.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hb hellcat

Hb hellcat Black Betty...BamAlam!!!

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I bought my gorilla locks through speedlogix and am perfectly satisfied. All black, all nuts are locks, hold torque extremely well, and absolutely no issues with rust(I'm at the beach), been on and off at least 10 times so far!
    Best less than a hundred bucks ever spent on the car! Be sure to order extra key, they are tough to remove without ruining your wheels if you lose the original. Even with liquid nitrogen!

• Like Like x 1
  10. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    With 20 locks on 20 studs, they'd have to be willing to spend a lot of time and energy on one car, with the Gorilla system. So, while nothing is "theft proof," they're going to probably opt to hit another car before mine.
    The trouble is the damage they do in the process, leaving your car teetering on a pair of cinder blocks jammed under the rockers, not the wheels themselves. Those big red Brembos might look attractive for the taking, once they get those wheels off, too.

• Agree Agree x 1