Need some help deciding whether to order from a dealer...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by Dak59RT, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Dak59RT

Dak59RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey guys,

I'm currently waiting to get in my Hellcat order. I'm officially on a wait list at 2 different dealers in Houston (#1 in line at one and #51 at the other). I'm also supposed to be called by 4-5 other dealers when they know something about when I can order.

My best chance for ordering is from the dealer where I'm #1. They claim the manager may ask for a $2k markup when it's time to order but the sales rep says they likely won't charge it. They also tell me they know nothing about their second allocation (as of last Friday) and that ordering will likely be in Jan 2015.

Here's my dilemma. I found a third dealer today by walking in to get myself added to their list. The sales rep wanted $75k and he would order it today. I said no and that I would only pay MSRP. On my way out the door he said okay, MSRP. I need to put down $5,000 and he will put my order in early next week. He claims he had 3 cars in his first allocation and they're all sold ( I don't doubt that). What is making me a little curious is the willingness to just take my money and order it. He wants a cashiers check. Is the timing right for him to even have more cars he can order??

I'm planning to order a Granite 6 speed, Nav, Laguna, and sun roof if possible. I can let the roof go but not the Laguna (I'll wait what it takes for that).

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 1949chopper

1949chopper NC STATE PRESIDENT Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I canceled my order yesterday and found its replacement today only 120 miles away, at msrp no less. Dealer ordered one for a customer and one for lot. If you look around you might find one. A lot of dealers may have done this

3. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That is great news!!! Congrats...That was pretty quick!;)

4. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hmmm. It would have to be a pretty large dealer to get 3 when most got 1 and 2 and some got 0. I guess the follow up question would be what status those 3 cars are in because some may end up being part of 2nd allotment and if that is the case, your #1 position will come up first and you will be out your deposit. I am not giving you advice, just some food for thought. It might be a risk to put down money and order unless you know for sure the 3 ordered were first allotment and built or in D. Because it seems to me if they are starting 2nd allotment Dec. 9, they should have the first 1,200 from allotment 1 in D status or close to it.??? It just seems like some of these dealers are not totally honest and/or misinformed. Once you put money down you are stuck waiting. May be good if you can prove you are #1 in line for 2nd allotment.o_O

• Like Like x 1
  5. 1949chopper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Try auto trader. Thus morning there were 30 on there. Now its up to 36. I called a couple and they are selling for msrp. Put a little time in and you will find one.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That is awesome!! Glad to hear that.

7. AdmrlAwesome

AdmrlAwesome Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Called a dealer up in Rhode Island (just moved here) yesterday. He said that they are getting 2 and both are sold. But, there isn't a waiting list to get one here, which is pretty much the same at the other 4 dealers I called in RI. I would be next in line if I order. No up charge either. I know the hype for these cars is huge, but the amount of people that are actually going to buy them is WAY less. I'm pretty sure that it'll be real easy to find one at MSRP (because I wouldn't pay a dime more) where ever you are located.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dakman

Dakman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds like you are doing your homework and checking with multiple dealerships, that's your best bet. I ran through 4 dealerships before I found one I was comfortable ordering from. Keep up the search. BTW love the user name I know what u own or have owned :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dak59RT

Dak59RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Okay so I called back dealership #3 and told him I am going to hold off on putting down a deposit until Jan 2015. I just don't believe he could order it right now even if he wanted to and I don't want my money tied up with him if I'm #1 somewhere else. Besides, I can use his willingness to sell at MSRP when it's time for other dealers to call me. Anyways, Dealer #3 tells me he looked into it more and he can't order anything until Feb or March 2015 anyways! Ha! He said if I want to put down $5k he will bump me to first in line. Screw that... I'll wait a little longer and order when it's time to order!

I looked around at vehicles that dealers have purchased and none have the options combo the way I really want it. Another reason to be patient. I look forward to seeing pictures of everyone else's 'Cats... Although I think I am going to go nuts daydreaming.

• Like Like x 1
  10. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are no dealers ordering next week, dealer#3 is full of crap.. I would confirm that dealer #1 that you are number one on the list...

11. Dak59RT

Dak59RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks! I updated my Avatar so you can see my baby. 330rwhp, 13.6 @ 102.5mph, all motor. I still have it! My hellcat very well may be the granite, a close match to the graphite metallic of my R/T... That could look really cool parked together!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dak59RT

Dak59RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I confirmed that about a week ago. He tells me that as soon as he knows something about his next allocation I am the first person he's calling. Then I'll just have to hope they won't play games with ordering at MSRP. This whole process is nerve-racking to people who genuinely want a Hellcat (the people who want to drive them, not the collectors who will garage them forever or the people looking to turn around and sell for a profit).

13. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When they call you,, and you get your poc ,, have it written that's your buying at msrp.. mine did

• Like Like x 1
  14. 1949chopper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You have to remember also that the overpriced stealership is going to have to play the game of more allocations. The longer they sit the less chance they have of getting another one. At some point they are going to have to lower the price to move it and get another one. Some dealers are only giving PSID orders 3 days to pick up so it doesn't effect lit times. I'm in the same boat as you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Dakman

Dakman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very nice, had a buddy in NC that had one just like that running crazy shots of NOS on it. Im chicken when it comes to NOS but I love some blowers!! :) Here is the gallery of my Grape Ape: Album The Dak SRT Hellcat Forum

• Like Like x 1