Need Some Help With Catch Can(s)

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Robo21, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi all,

Okay, I am convinced that I need a catch can on my new Hellcat. After reading numerous posts and ads here and elsewhere I am leaning toward the Billet Technology catch can. What I am not clear on is whether or not I need 2 catch cans and if they are easy to monitor. I see that one of the BT versions has a clear bottom so the oil level is visible. Do the other metal versions have a sight glass in them so the oil is visible or do you just have to open it up every now and then to drain it?

So why are 2 cans necessary or are they? I am thinking it might be overkill.

2. terryturner

terryturner Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    U don't necessarily NEED a driver side can but it wouldn't hurt. I'm currently running a Bob's catch can on passenger side only. The drivers side won't catch nearly as much oil as the passenger side will

3. yurdaddy

yurdaddy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bt discountinued the clear catch can because of quality issues. Not sure when there gonna roll them back out.

4. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Pass on the driver's side can. I've never heard of any drivers side can catching any significant amount of oil.

5. ArchGE

ArchGE VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Just put a BT can on my SRT and had a small self imposed issue with install. They sent me a new braided hose for just shipping cost. They're a real stand up company. I'm really impressed with the construction. Not the clear bowl but didn't want one anyway. Pretty easy to figure out when to empty it after a couple of inspections.

6. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks guys, so what is the typical recommended frequency to check/drain the can? Also, Arch, can you share what happened with your install? I would like to learn from your experience please.

7. ArchGE

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    For my SRT they send the braided hose pre cut. The PCV box (I'll call it) at rear of the engine has this rubber coupling attached that the rigid OEM PCV pipe slides into. Install instructions were minimal so I looked online and saw everyone was removing this rubber coupling to directly attach the hose there. So I didn't feel like wrestling this coupling off the box and cut it. Turns out the braided hose is cut to attach at the coupler with an included brass fitting so was now too short to make it to the box. Couldn't find a replacement rubber coupling so BT sent a longer hose for my dumb ass :)

8. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Don't beat yourself up Arch. Could have been much worse. Thanks for the info.

Here's a story for you. My warehouse manager's wife has a Lincoln LS. He was checking the oil one day and noticed 2 or 3 of the white reservoirs under the hood. They appeared to be close to empty so he figured that since they were white reservoirs (like the coolant reservoir) they must take water or coolant. Being cost conscious, he put water in all of the reservoirs. Within a day or two the cooling fan stopped turning, the power steering started grinding, etc. Turns out those reservoirs were for transmission fluid and were the reservoirs for the hydraulic cooling fan and the power steering pump. Ouch. It took a couple grand in parts to make the car work right again. I lent him the money to buy the parts so his wife wouldn't be too upset.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ArchGE

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    ^^^^^ LOL..ouch

10. bilkilo8108

bilkilo8108 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello All,
    Need advise on the catch can issue. Is it necessary? Can not having one installed lessen performance or damage the motor? You recommendations are truly welcome.

Bill

11. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    PM'd you.

12. David Neibert

David Neibert SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just ordered one for the passenger side from BT (black, with braided hoses and color matching sleeves and black powder coated fittings). A bit on the pricey side, but I think it looks much nicer than Bobs or JLT.

David

13. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    All have their advantages. For the price you can't beat JLT. $113 shipped. A BT w/options is almost $300. But it is a work if art. Probably overkill for a catch can but worth every penny. Bob's probably performs best of all three because of the design, but it's a bit too big for my taste.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  14. David Neibert

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah..I had a JLT on my 14 GT500 and it worked great, just think the BT unit looks like a better match for the motor with the billet mount.

15. David Neibert

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Billet Tech oil separator/catch can arrived yesterday and was installed last night. I'm very happy with how it looks and it only took about 10 minutes to install.

IMG_6214.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1