need some help with motorcycle sites and pics

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by blaze, May 10, 2016.

1. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i have a young buck who is trying to buy his first organ donor bike.
    he is the son of a close friend. he has wrecked his car a few times now and is not so coordinated.. he is 21 and knows everything as usual. i own a bike, i have been riding since age 10? dirt bikes then to street.. i have been down twice.. very very very lucky both times. i have had 5 street bikes total now. i have seen people die next to me. i have seen riders hit speed limit signs at 35mph and you think they would have been fine and they passed away.. i have seen some brutal things over the years riding. my buddy owns a bike shop and this was my go-to site to scare all the squids into thinking before they ride like they are invincible for many years:

Live to Ride - Ride to DIE

the domain changed a few times but the information and pics are good firm reminders. (there are graphic pics on that site so please do not visit if you have a weaker stomach)

does anyone have any great links i can use to show this young man just what he is getting into, and any safety or statistical based information sites on motorcycles? i know.. google.. but am wondering if anyone else here may have some favorite sites they know right off the bat they like to use to teach and instruct the young men who know it all.. thanks in advance for any help. much appreciated. i am hoping he cannot afford the insurance and cannot get one. fingers crossed.

2. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That's a very big burden to be taking on...don't know if anyone other than their parents should be sticking their head thru that horse collar because the outcome may be one you wear for life!

Same situation here, riding since single digits started in the dirt long before hitting the roads. I have only been down in the dirt (and while not pavement, it leaves its own marks) and reminds you to keep the shiny side up. Power of todays bikes and stupidity will get someone killed in a heartbeat if not by the rider than by one of todays courteous car/truck drivers. 21 is a tough time to be picking up motorcycles. Most times it doesn't end well as the stats prove out since most crashes occur within the first 6 months of ownership.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Instead of trying to scare him (because that doesn't sound like its working), try educating him.

Buy him these two DVDs off Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Ride-Like-Pro...=1462897131&sr=8-1&keywords=ride+like+a+pro+5

http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-I...62897148&sr=8-6&keywords=a+twist+of+the+wrist

Both will give him invaluable information. I know guy who have ridden for decades and learned stuff from the first one.

As far as scaring him, nothing better than showing him some youtube crash videos. He needs to realize that it's not just about his proficiency, but about all the idiot cagers around him that are actively trying to kill him at all times.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. blaze

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    totally agree with you both thank you. i had forgotten the Keith Code book.. i read A Twist of the Wrist way back when..

scaring him does not work, but the images burn into his brain. nothing works really. i am especially worried because he has been in a few car accidents with his car, and has never even been on a bike, and refuses to believe this is not a fast and the furious movie.. he is his mother's only child and it is destroying her. :oops:
    i will do what i can. thanks for the help guys.

5. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Some reading may help. Anyway to get him into the dirt for some lessons before he jumps into the streets. The streets are just so unforgiving...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. blaze

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i tried.. i told him that i would ride dirt with him but he is not interested in that at all. he wants to be joe cool on a donor bike with all his buddies that pull 12 o'clock wheelies and end up dead..

7. HellCat_child253

HellCat_child253 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So i am currently turning 26 this august and i will be by then on my third bike my first i got when i was 21 years old. My mother and my ex begged of me not to get one at such a young immature age. The only thing i promised was that i would never be the guy weaving through traffic doing a 120. With that said i took it upon myself to take not one but two riding classes got my endorsement from the first one then did the advance track course. One i wanted to know how to get my knee scraping in the corners and two how to truly ride and corner and most importantly how to look for things a head. Taking these course's not only improved my riding ability tremendously but my driving as well. I will admit us young kids always have to push it but as my good friend frankie ballard said ( How am i supposed to be old and wise if i was never young and crazy) with that said don't try and stop him but teach him truly how to ride and how to be safe i have done 169 172 75 mph wheelies you name it i have done it always open empty areas but still stupid. Just try and keep it safe

8. HellCat_child253

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Blaze my good buddie you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink./ A hard head makes for a soft ass/ A man who knows all can learn nothing. All things my grandfather told me did i listen not a snow ball chance in hell but did i learn yes i was fortunate enough to learn my lesson with out getting seriously injured except for my fighting days that's a different story

• Like Like x 2
  9. blaze

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    it has been proven that scientifically you do not have an adult or fully matured brain until at or after the age of 25. it all makes sense, and i know how i was back then..

Young Adult Development Project

"20s and beyond
    According to recent findings, the human brain does not reach full maturity until at least the mid-20s. (See J. Giedd in References.) The specific changes that follow young adulthood are not yet well studied, but it is known that they involve increased myelination and continued adding and pruning of neurons. As a number of researchers have put it, "the rental car companies have it right." The brain isn't fully mature at 16, when we are allowed to drive, or at 18, when we are allowed to vote, or at 21, when we are allowed to drink, but closer to 25, when we are allowed to rent a car"

i count the days..

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. blaze

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i will always be immature and a kid at heart, i refuse to grow up. but i will not let this kid kill himself on my watch. not if i can help it at least..

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. blaze

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    also it does not help that he has seen my green bikes since he was 12 years old.. and i have a zx10r now.. its hard to tell him that he cant have one when i have one.. but he has nowhere near the experience.. Florida is a whole different ballgame down here with street riding. there are fatalities almost daily, if not weekly down here on bikes.. :mad:

12. HellCat_child253

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    BLAZE your absolutely right but nothing you can say or do is gonna stop him so you might as well keep him with you at least then you can keep him under semi control i'm in washington wear it rains 24/7 and i still ride almost everyday and skate board :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. blaze

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    actually i can do a bunch of things to stop him. i can remove plugs, i can flatten tires, i can yank hoses, unplug batteries, cig butt filters in fuel lines, drill holes in the case. purposely strip the oil drain bolt then drill a hole into it. those are just a few ideas, those are not even clever electric ideas.. my sorcery is magical. :cool:

im sure i can come up with a lot to keep his bike from running. :D

but in all seriousness i did send him a text that if he does manage to get one (and i think he cannot because of insurance full coverage cost) he must ride with me daily for 2 months and that is non negotiable. (not that, that will make much of a difference but at least i can catch him on any bad habits and help him correct them)

• Like Like x 1
  14. HellCat_child253

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yes please do that for him bad habits once created are hard to get rid of

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Try... www.MSF-USA.org

I'm a nationally certified Rider Coach and highly recommend formal training. Lot's of options available but the point is to get some training.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1