Need to tap into signal for high end audio gear.

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Electronics' started by Doc Fluty, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Doc Fluty

Doc Fluty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Hello

I am about to start tearing into my HK system for my 2015 challenger.

right now i have a set of Focal K2 Power 165 KRX3 and two Focal Solid 2 amplifiers. I plan on adding a Helix DSP, two 12" subs and more gear relatively soon.

My question is, has anyone actually got into the HK system yet and found a way to grab the signal before it gets to the amp (where ever that is). I would like to be able to get that signal and take it to my DSP before the factory amp adds its own noise to the process.

And if i cant grab it before it gets to the amp for whatever reason, where is the amp so i can grab it after it?

thanks for any help you can give.

• Like Like x 1
  2. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    sheesh,no input, other than good luck
    Let us know how you make out

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Now you got me thinking

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. zippy

zippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The amp is under the sterring column area. I have added some alpine subs to my car. The amp is a multi channel amp with built in crossovers.
    I only grabbed the factory sub as it was crossed over already. I tried the rear deck 6x9's but there is no lows going through them

I am also interested in grabbing the signal before the amp but I don't believe it vol controlled as the volume is through the can bus.

You will have to take them after the amp but each speaker only has selected frequencies. I have not been able to get what those are for each speaker yet

Good luck

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  6. Doc Fluty

Doc Fluty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I spent a lot of time trying to listen to frequencies to see where speakers transitioned. The sound in the doors kicks in at 35hz but doesnt actually produce a quality sound until almost 55-62hz... which tells me that a high pass crossover could really help with some of those pesky door rattles.

If you go on youtube and play "hearing test 20hz to 20khz" you will learn a lot about your system... the dramatic shifts from left to right, the dead spots and the absolute nothing beyond 13700 khz.

I believe the frequencies changes from the door to the dash somewhere in the 170-209 range... but its hard to tell because if my door is open i get a damn chime for forever... i really need to disconnect the dash speaker to get a real test result though.

the sub is wacky.. could use a low pass crossover as well... despite these things not really having magnets, they start at about 30 hz and have a dramatic increase in volume at 59-72 hz..

like i stated above, I already have a Focal 3 piece system for the fronts and now four separate focal amps for power (2 for the front components and 2 for subs)... im still deciding on actual subwoofers and sub box design though. Most likely something in the floor facing up similar to the factory unit so i can keep trunk space.

Also deciding between a Helix dsp pro, Fosgate 3Sixty.3, Alpine PXA-H800, Audison Bit One and other DSPs...

once i get the subs and design planned out i will begin the instal.. going to use top installation techniques, custom a-pillars, amp racks, premium fabrics, ect... wish me luck lol

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bigdodge

Bigdodge Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    From my research the jbl ms8 is the way to go.

8. Bigdodge

Bigdodge Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    From my research the jbl ms8 is the way to go.

9. thedynoguy

thedynoguy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm headed in the same direction. I did an upgrade in my 2010 F350 crew cab with an Audio Control DQL-8, Focal separates, JL 900/5 amp and JL sub box. The integration with the factory Sync worked out great, and the sound quality in the cab is up a frillion percent. Keep us posted on your progress, and pictures if you have the time...

10. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Talk to Crutchfield Tech Support they're familiar with the head end. Probably could help they may have a harness and would be able to provide you specs from there that would answer your questions.

11. thedynoguy

thedynoguy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Cruthchfield = maybe. When I did my truck, they insisted there wasn't an external main amp in the system, just the sub amp. They were totally wrong. There is an external amp above the E brake pedal in the truck that they told me didn't exist. Just beware of what they are telling you, as it isn't always fact...

12. Doc Fluty

Doc Fluty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I would probably need one of THESE.

But they dont make them for the 15s yet.. i sent them an email but they have yet to reply.

13. zippy

zippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I emailed pac and you are correct there is nothing for the 15's yet. I have used these in the past and you can grab the right and left right full range signals before the amp

I guess I will wait

my subs do hit hard with the factory sub crossed signal but I have the gains way down because the car can't keep up. I have 2 kappa four infinity 1200 rms amps waiting. Just need a full range signal for the car. Good winter project.....

image.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Doc Fluty well, I had ended up having a separate Pioneer Championship series AMP 1OHM installed for my dual POLK Audio 12" Subwoofers Single air ported. Man they hit real real hard and deep make your bones shake and muscles tense up.

The factory AMP blows for subwoofer signal I promise you that.

[​IMG]

15. zippy

zippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You can't see in my pic but there is a 2000 rms alpine amp driving my subs. Just feeding the factory sub signal into the amp

You are right the factory amp sub is not good at all