Neg camber issue?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by gerlacher, Nov 17, 2015.

1. gerlacher

gerlacher Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have a question here. Looking for a little insight. My brother in law recently bought a 09 SRT that is lowered about 1.5 inches. His complaint that I'm going to be looking into, is when you launch the car, the rear end is very "snakey, or " wishy washy". It's not that the rear tires are spinning, its hooking very well. I personally have not got the car up on a lift yet, but it does have all poly eurathane bushings, and he says appear to all be very tight n no slop. When I went for drive in it, definitely gets snakey on hard pull through 1st n 2nd gear. I noticed the rear camber looks very negative, and possibly the cause? Thoughts? Hellcat is my first modern challenger, so just looking for some past experiences anyone might have some good input. I will check alignment and see just how bad it is, but when the car is hooking n driving behind him, the camber looks terrible! Car is cammed n supercharged so it plants pretty well. Thanks!

2. Garfield

Garfield Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The camber shouldn't be that far out from just a 1.5" drop? Should actually be very close to being in tolerance still. And negative camber should actually make for better handling? Did he actually buy components or did he just cut the springs? Cutting that much out would make the rear pretty loose under power. Makes for good drifting but poor handling that way. If he cut them and took that much all out of one side of the spring they could very well be moving inside the perches some too.

3. gerlacher

gerlacher Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They are aftermarket springs for sure, did glance at them, ' red I think' and he has reciepts for the springs. Not sure which brand they are.

4. Garfield

Garfield Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sound strange to me.. But if it's as bad as you say visually then it should be way out of tolerance and can't be getting much contact patch.. I could see that being the squirlyness you are describing but I still question why is out so much from a pretty standard drop height? It should actually be hardly noticeable to a persons eye wo alignment. At 1" it should be about 1.5* or so negative so I can't imagine another 1/2" being more then 2-2.25* But how you describe it is sounds like he is 5* or more.

5. gerlacher

gerlacher Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sitting stance is pretty noticeable, and under full throttle following behind, the car does squat, but not a whole lot, but can visually see the camber become negative quite a bit. I'm just starting the brainstorming with this being the first visual thing I'm noticing and again, fairly new to modern challenger performance. Wong start working on it untill the weekend, so have to investigate some more with it up in the air.

6. Garfield

Garfield Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just seen a comment from one of the reputable manufactures on here talking about the reg srt cars and how they can have issues wo getting replacement rear sway bar end links.. This could be a major part of the problem.

7. gerlacher

gerlacher Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's a good thought too, hopefully getting a chance to get a look at car tomorrow morning sometime. I will evaluate everything and check back with my findings. Hoping it's just something obvious, but maybe not. Thanks