New B5 Hellcat on the prowl!

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by natesrt, Aug 12, 2015.

1. natesrt

natesrt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi everyone, I have been lurking here for a while and almost gave up hope getting a Hellcat for this year. South Florida has it's share of dealerships that tag on hefty ADMs. I was going to order with Bob since I had a great experience getting my 2009 SRT-8 from him but due to all of the ordering crap this year, I just sat on the sidelines. I traded in my 2011 SRT-8 last year for an Audi S5 and always missed the 392. The S5 is an amazing car but too muted for me.

Thanks to this forum, I ran across the contact information for Steve Smith (Smitty) at Fields CJD in Sanford, FL. I called him earlier in the year and put my name on his list. Since I was looking for an M6, I lucked out during the 5/28 allocations and placed the order for a B5 Blue, M6, Black Laguna, NAV. She just came in on Monday and I made the trip there and back yesterday (through a torrential downpour on the way back!). The whole dealership experience was wonderful and I would recommend Smitty and Fields for anyone looking for a car. Also, another member on this forum tipped me onto the Jeep Garage tracking site (MOTS) and I signed up for this. The updates were spot on.

A big thanks to B5 Blue for the PDI checklist that I used to go over the car when I got to Fields. I used this to go over the car and I found a couple of minor issues that were taken care of before delivery.

So...on to my initial impressions. I'm still in the break-in period so I'll update this as I get more seat time but on the drive down, I just passed the 300 miles mark. I was surprised at how drive-able this car is around town. It isn't twitchy and the power delivery is spot on. I haven't opened her up yet since I'm still in the break in period but I can feel the power lurking under the hood.

The sound is amazing. I had the Zoomers exhaust on my 392 and I feel like the Hellcat factory exhaust is just as loud although maybe I was just too used to my S5 "synthetic" exhaust noise. The shifter is smooth and the clutch has a good feel to it. The car also has a very solid feel to it on the road - I'm still in Street mode and have not had a chance to play with the other SRT modes.

Also, I see all the flak that the stereo gets on here but I honestly think it's a good sounding system. I had the Bang and Olufsen in the S5 and the H/K sounds good in comparison. I wish the EQ had more bands and it looks like the volume may max out early but I don't really care about this. The volume gets plenty loud with the windows up and if the windows are down, I'd be listening to the exhaust anyways.

Sirius TravelLink with the traffic rerouting is nice and saved me a bit of time being stuck in Miami traffic from all of the rain yesterday.

The color is beautiful. B5 really pops. I first saw it when I picked up my 2009 from Bob as he had an R/T classic in B5. Internet pics do it absolutely no justice - it really is a color that you have to see in person.

The couple of minor gripes I have with the car stem around the UConnect responsiveness and the interior quality. I wish the UConnect system had a bit more processing power in it as it seems to get hung up a bit sometimes. As for the interior, it's definitely nicer than my 2011 was but I still feel like they could have used some nicer materials inside. From the pictures online, I was expecting it to be a bit less "plasticky". Some of the buttons like the Homelink and mirror controls also feel a bit cheap. However, I get the price to performance ratio and I'll take the power over these minor items any day!

I leave this pic for now from when I picked her up. More to come once I get her out and about some more!

-Nate

IMG_3635.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
  2. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Beautiful car, congrats

3. FarAwayFromHere

FarAwayFromHere Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sweet You Have The Exact Order I Do,If I Ever get It That is!
    Enjoy the heck out of it!

4. DrumHellCat

DrumHellCat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The B5 looks SPECTACULAR man! Congrats!

5. WindowShaker

WindowShaker Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I guess you parked it in the handicapped spot because the blue lines matched the car? :D:D:D

6. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats!

break-in period is a temporary handicap; this too shall pass!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. ranger75

ranger75 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    B5 was one of my choices when considering....did not want to wait so got TorRed awesome ride!

8. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You're welcome for PDI

Congrats and remember this saying is copyrighted

B5 quickest and best color made;)

9. natesrt

natesrt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I guess that's why it was parked in a handicap spot! Once she's broken in I think she would get ticketed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sjbeckman01

Sjbeckman01 Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats! Welcome to the club!

11. Mearen

Mearen Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Grats!!

12. natesrt

natesrt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks everyone! I stretched her legs a bit more and the power is intoxicating. I'm still under 500 miles so I haven't gone WOT but she has so much power available anywhere in the power band. And that S/C whine is positively delicious!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Grtz! The Cat is beautiful ... enjoy!

April

14. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congratulations I re-edit to full preview image. Sharing on FB HC page

15. Orlandom

Orlandom Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's awesome. Smitty is great to deal with.

I saw pictures of your car Monday and hoping to get my VON this coming Monday.