New Challenger Fuel Leak

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by 70R/T383, Mar 8, 2016.

1. 70R/T383

70R/T383 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    On February 24th, the sales manager called from the Abernethy Chrysler dealership in Lincolnton, N.C. to tell me my Plum Crazy Hellcat had arrived! The dealership was great and performed a minimal PDI as I requested. They toped the fluids and flashed the computer leaving the rest for me to do. I brought it home on the 26th, I did all the delivery prep myself. The next day I began the break in procedure. By the second day there was a strong fuel smell. It had developed a significant fuel leak. I suspected the fuel rail crossover hose, but it was more on the passenger side. It was dripping and actually vaporizing on the catalytic converter. The dealership took it in on March 1st. I got it back yesterday (March 7th) after they replaced the fuel supply hose to the passenger fuel rail. SRT took a report from me about the fuel leak. The dealership had a tough time getting the correct replacement fuel line. They kept the car safe with my cover on the car. Now I am back to driving and having a great time. This is a world apart from my wife's SRT 392. The point of this post is to inform you all to watch carefully for a fuel leak. It is only by the grace of God that there was not a catastrophic failure. I have stressed to SRT the importance of looking into this event. I hope they take me seriously.

• Useful Useful x 6
  2. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bullet "Dodged"...pardon the pun...

• Like Like x 1
  3. rwhite692

rwhite692 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    glad to hear that you detected it, and that it was repaired. Going to inspect my fuel lines carefully tonight. I am at a bit over 5k miles since taking delivery last October.

Does your service record show a part number for the fuel line that was replaced? Just curious. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your new PCP HC!

4. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    *groan* LOL!

April

Attached Files:

• DOH.jpg
      DOH.jpg
      File size:
      113.4 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 70R/T383

70R/T383 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The first fuel line ordered was incorrect. I do not have the part number nor have I picked up a service ticket. I will get it and pass it on. The recall last year states that there was no way to inspect the fuel crossover hose during production to find a defect. I suspect your nose and ears are the only way you will find the leak.. The service department took the braided cladding off the line to get the part number and I still could not visually determine where the leak was.

6. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I hope you get it fixed to enjoy. You waited long enough

7. hemiplymouth

hemiplymouth Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think it is fixed.

8. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is 2016 car #3 I've seen have this issue, all far past the production change that covered the 2015 recall cars. All described a fix in a similar location all reported same symptoms all with low mileage.

9. 70R/T383

70R/T383 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I repeatedly stressed to the SRT rep the importance of looking into this. When you are afraid to park your brand new Hellcat in the garage for fear of burning your house down it makes you realize how dangerous this defect could be.

10. 70R/T383

70R/T383 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Fixed and went past 500 miles today, a great place to be!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mopar Magic

Mopar Magic Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had a similar problem on my 2016 HC Challenger.
    I was told the bypass line was routed incorrectly and rubbed a hole in it.
    They replaced it and said a sound insulator panel needed replaced as well because the gas sprayed on it and dissolved it.
    The insulator panel is on order and is supposed to be in next week.

12. 70R/T383

70R/T383 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for posting. I checked that pad this morning. It looks Okay. I continue to wonder how many other 2016's have had this problem.

13. m5biemer

m5biemer Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have the same or similar issue, 2016 Charger Hellcat PCP delivered March 4th, noticed heavy fuel smell coming in through the dash vents when car was running. No perceptible leak when I got under the hood and investigated. 33 miles on it, now it's in for what they tell me is a fuel rail issue, have no idea of what parts they're replacing yet. Actually, based on the how evasive they were about where they thought the problem was, I'm not sure they really even know yet. Major league disappointed, this also could have been a disaster. Without trying to piss off anyone on this site, I'm saying that the QC (or lack of QC as is the case) has some serious flaws-this is a frekin' $70k car, this kind of problem is absolutely unforgiveable. This was an issue in Spring 2015 that apparently still hasn't been corrected. I hope it doesn't take someone getting injured for FCA to take this seriously.

14. 70R/T383

70R/T383 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The part number on the fuel line that has been the most recent problem is 5181962AD. Tthe fuel crossover hose was what I suspected since that was the problem last year. It was not the problem on mine. Mine was delivered a week before yours and it was PCP.

I have been restoring and driving old mopars for a while. I've never had one that didn't leak fuel at one time or another. Hot Rods break. I guess I have a different outlook. I just keep pursuing this issue because I don't want anyone to get hurt.

15. chuck

chuck Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I hope they look very good at this problem it is a safety issue for everybody that this happens to. I always check my fluids and look my engine over before I crank it and also do a walk around and check it after I drive it and cover it. I hope everybody keeps a close eye and nose on their Hellcat. This is important and should be done. A inspection of your Hellcat before and after your drive will make you know your Hellcat is safe and no problems. I have never done this with any of my new cars.This Hellcat i do inspect before and after my drive. I am glad you found this before it caused a disaster for you.

Chuck