New Challenger VS. Old

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Jungle Cat, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am not talking about performance or anything like that but just plain looks. Last week I was driving to my current work site in on a major highway in Massachusetts early in the morning in my commuter VW diesel Jetta when I saw a two car flat bed carrying a mid seventies turd brown Plymouth Satellite the exact car a friend owned back in the early 80s. For all I know it could have been his. The real gem on the flatbed was a 1970 Plum Crazy Challenger R/T 440 six pack. At least it had the badges. I snapped a picture with my cell phone but is mostly a purple flash. I have always liked the first Generation Challenger otherwise I would not have bought my Hellcat. The one thing that really struck me when I saw it was our new Hellcats are just better looking. I don't know why it hit me this way but it did. The stylists just really hit all the right notes combining the new and old. I could not be happier with my choice. Although I never owned an old Challenger but owned many old GM muscle cars the Hellcat is making me forget them. Many problems with old cars I cannot begin to tell you. Guys with them know what I mean. What do you think old vs. new?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I definitely prefer the new ones. I was never a big Mopar guy back then, although i did own a few early 70's Chargers and Satellites back in the 80's. Being involved in our family's car business exposed me to a lot of cars so i came across lots of em lol. The Mopars had always seemed to lack the style i liked then. But now - wow. Dodge has hit it right on the head for me. Have always wanted one but when i saw the '15 SRT i just couldnt take it anymore lol. Had to own one, love it too. And although this model bodystyle is getting long in the tooth for some, i just bought a 16 HC.
    Ineveitably they will update the style, it will become more areodynamic, prob a few more hp, more fuel efficient. And i wont like it, i'll be glad i got one while it still looked cool. To me these are the new good old days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CanHP

CanHP Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree

4. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't think they can change it for the better. It is tops in looks. Overall I preferred the old GM over the Mopars as well. Not so much anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yep, I was def a GM guy all the way as a younger guy. Even when the IROC Camaro came out in '85. Saw it and knew i wanted one. Begged my father to co-sign until he caved in lol. Loved that car. Corvettes were always the attainable dream car too. Had my fair share of those too. Now not so much. The HC has replaced those and somehow Dodge has pulled me over to them. That same "OMG i gotta gotta have one" feeling was there and thats always trouble for me lol. I take some heat for it too from my GM friends, but they all agree Dodge is doing it right now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am taking a beating from GM friends as well. All in fun anyway.. I am also glad Dodge saw fit to put gas filler on drivers side of new car. It never registered in my head old had it on passenger side until I saw on flat bed. Good change.

• Like Like x 1
  7. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good post!! I felt the same way yesterday morning at our local Cars & Coffee. I saw a 70 Challenger that was a pretty cool car, it was some sort of "sea foam green" or some color that I am not familiar with, it looked good and I USED to really dig those cars but now I'm less drawn to them and much prefer the 08 and newer cars, especially the 15 and 16 cars.

That 70 model car looked like it was about two feet wider than my 16 is, I know that the new car is bigger in all respects but it didn't look that way.
    The new cars are far and above better in all respects.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i think the 1970 tail lights look much nicer than the 07-14's do.....that is one spot where i felt they dropped the ball......

the 1970 is a low down, squat/wide car.....the modern challenger has a cartoonish look in comparison...ive had more than 1 person think its a 1970....so they did get the looks spot on over all....the dimensions are way off when you park one next to the other.......they had to make it work on a Charger/300 platform...its a miracle they are able to match the original 1970 when the modern dimensions are so different....

i much prefer the 2015+ look over the older 07-14.....tail lights are 10x's better...rest of the car is almost exactly the same.....also like how they made the center console mimic a bit more of the 1971 look....the curve to the right of the shifter..

one thing i never got was the gauges on the 07-14...the green glow at night.....i had to call my dealer when i first saw them...i thought something was wrong.....who ever came up with that idea should have been fired...it was just odd

9. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with the tail lights. The 15-16 are just better looking. With the earlier 14 and back there is just too much tail light. Funny you mention the year. I had a co worker and sister in law this weekend both think I bought another old car? It does have that vibe. They woke up when they saw the monitor screen.

Graycat, I have always called that green goose $#!! green.

• Like Like x 1
  10. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Jungle Cat, you're funny!!! I have called it "regurgitated baby **** green" Plus I used to call the sublime green "shartroose electric boogey lime puke green" but now I know it's just "Sublime Green".

Not to hi-jack this thread, but what do you guys think of the new Charger vs the 69/70 Charger?

11. BD2DBONE

BD2DBONE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

I like 'em both and I think they did a fine job with the retro. Huggy's description of cartoonish is good, more modern.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The '70 has classic styling and the perfect muscle car attitude, the 2016 has better power, handling, comfort, radio, gas mileage, etc. I wouldn't get rid of either one. They are both a dream to own. DSD_2217.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. paul suloff

paul suloff Silver Member

An old Challenger next to a new one looks like a compact car! I like the distinctive styling cues on the original Challenger. It has much more character. No comparison in performance old one feels like a Prius compared to Hellcat! IMG_2871.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  14. 2016_HC

2016_HC Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I always liked the look of the old Cuda's better than the old Challenger's. I had a 70 Cuda', 71 BC, and a 74BC. Sometimes I think the new Challenger's look more like the old Barracuda's mainly from the side...

• Like Like x 2
  15. Poorhorse Cat

Poorhorse Cat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow, lots of old GM owners here! I grew up being a Ford fan. My first car was a 68 Cougar with 302. Still have this car and still love driving it on occasion, but performance wise, my Hellcat blows the doors off it and the Cougar has all the normal performance parts (intake, carb, headers, free flowing exhaust, cam, etc...) I get head turns in either car, but the Hellcat is so much fun to drive...me and my wife just look for excuses to go out and run to town in it all the time! Back in my younger days of hanging out at the local parking lot with my friends, I was usually in conflict with the "Chevy Guys" and we'd pair up to see who had the fastest car, but the few Dodge guys were always fairly neutral. In fact the two main Dodge guys I can think of were the fastest ones in town of all of us that hung out! Since then I've owned everything under the sun, but Dodge has impressed me and my wife so much, we've been through 3 Chargers and on our second Challenger since 2007. They got us hooked!!

• Like Like x 2