SRT Hellcat Forum banner

New engine for oil leak?

4K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Hellcatski 
#1 ·
Greetings Gentlemen, Ladies,

I have been lurking here since I learned that I would be getting my Hellcat, but this is my first post. I hope it is of interest to the Hellcat.org community.

For the past few years, I have admired the newer body style Challengers when I would see them driving by. When I heard about the Hellcat performance package, that was it. I had to have one. I placed my order in November of 2014. I was led to believe from the salespeople that it was unlikely I would get one due to the low production numbers. However, around July of 2015, two salesmen from the dealership came to my door to inform me that my vehicle was on the assembly line.

Unfortunately, my Challenger leaked oil from Day One. I was disinclined to immediately return it to the dealership just because it was "spotting." It wasn't until approximately 2,600 miles (about six weeks ago) that I took it in for service. It has some of the usual bugs like the rough idle, the sporadically down-shifting right-hand paddle, and the rear end whine among others, but I stressed at the dealership that it was the oil leak that I wanted fixed.

The service department kept it for just shy of three weeks. The Service Representative indicated that the technician was having difficulty locating the leak, then it was found on top of the engine after pulling the blower, then FCA wanted them to disassemble the blower for inspection, and so on. I didn't speak with the technician, but I have the invoice in front of me. It reads: "replaced VVT solenoid" and "found heavy oil in intake runners." They also replaced the PCV valve per Star recommendation.

It was evident right away that it still leaked, but I drove it for a week to make sure that I wasn't observing some residual oil that was trapped in the undercarriage. I took the car back to the dealership last Saturday.

Here is the "punch line." I received a phone call from the Service Representative yesterday. He said that the tech confirmed that it was still leaking, and... <pause for suspense building> FCA has ordered them to replace the engine.

I look forward to reading your comments. I can try to answer questions, but I doubt that I know anything more beyond what I've written.

Regards.
Usual_Suspect

See less See more
#6 ·
Greetings Gentlemen, Ladies,

I have been lurking here since I learned that I would be getting my Hellcat, but this is my first post. I hope it is of interest to the Hellcat.org community.

For the past few years, I have admired the newer body style Challengers when I would see them driving by. When I heard about the Hellcat performance package, that was it. I had to have one. I placed my order in November of 2014. I was led to believe from the salespeople that it was unlikely I would get one due to the low production numbers. However, around July of 2015, two salesmen from the dealership came to my door to inform me that my vehicle was on the assembly line.

Unfortunately, my Challenger leaked oil from Day One. I was disinclined to immediately return it to the dealership just because it was "spotting." It wasn't until approximately 2,600 miles (about six weeks ago) that I took it in for service. It has some of the usual bugs like the rough idle, the sporadically down-shifting right-hand paddle, and the rear end whine among others, but I stressed at the dealership that it was the oil leak that I wanted fixed.

The service department kept it for just shy of three weeks. The Service Representative indicated that the technician was having difficulty locating the leak, then it was found on top of the engine after pulling the blower, then FCA wanted them to disassemble the blower for inspection, and so on. I didn't speak with the technician, but I have the invoice in front of me. It reads: "replaced VVT solenoid" and "found heavy oil in intake runners." They also replaced the PCV valve per Star recommendation.

It was evident right away that it still leaked, but I drove it for a week to make sure that I wasn't observing some residual oil that was trapped in the undercarriage. I took the car back to the dealership last Saturday.

Here is the "punch line." I received a phone call from the Service Representative yesterday. He said that the tech confirmed that it was still leaking, and... <pause for suspense building> FCA has ordered them to replace the engine.

I look forward to reading your comments. I can try to answer questions, but I doubt that I know anything more beyond what I've written.

Regards.
Usual_Suspect
This absolutely sucks and it's terrible that anybody should have to go through this

It is going to take some time to get parts for repairs

#9 ·
Engines get replaced and cars are fine after that. If that doesnt sit well with you, you may have recourse under lemon law. Here there is a set time that a dealer and Dodge would have too return the car repaired too you, and of it wasnt repaired within 3 trips, that if total time was exceeded, they have to buy car back, if you make the demand. For 2 years.

#10 ·
congrats on your cat and welcome to the forum! new engine! awesome! :)

are you happy with that outcome? personally i would be.. sounds like you had some problems with that vehicle from the beginning you should not have to put up with.. Dodge did the right thing in my opinion..

#11 ·
michaelneopolotano, ive read many of many of your posts and you are way to anal about problems. Sheit happens. the tried to fix it. they thought had. they gave it a shot and got the car back to the customer. So it was still leaking. It DIDNT LOCK UP. It DIDNT CAUSE AN ACCIDENT. It didnt do any of the wild and crazy thoughts you have running through your head so stop being so damn critical. I suppose everything you do in life is perfect without fault and never needs correcting. Well congrats. U are one in a million.

The offered a new engine. Id jump on it. Hell I hope they give me a new engine at 7 years 11 1/2 months at 119,500 mile of my 8yr 120,000 mile extended warranty.

gezz man, lighten up francis. stuff breaks. stuff leaks. stuff can be fixed. ***** when sheit breaks and they dont do anything,

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
michaelneopolotano, ive read many of many of your posts and you are way to anal about problems. Sheit happens. the tried to fix it. they thought had. they gave it a shot and got the car back to the customer. So it was still leaking. It DIDNT LOCK UP. It DIDNT CAUSE AN ACCIDENT. It didnt do any of the wild and crazy thoughts you have running through your head so stop being so damn critical. I suppose everything you do in life is perfect without fault and never needs correcting. Well congrats. U are one in a million.

The offered a new engine. Id jump on it. Hell I hope they give me a new engine at 7 years 11 1/2 months at 119,500 mile of my 8yr 120,000 mile extended warranty.

gezz man, lighten up francis. stuff breaks. stuff leaks. stuff can be fixed. ***** when sheit breaks and they dont do anything,
I agree I am one in a million thank you. So far as being anal in my posts I don't think anymore then some. Unless you mean looking out for customers over automobile manufacturers then plead guilty.

#13 ·
dude you are a bit anal sometimes.. you walked from a few hellcats many people would have jumped on in a second. to each their own. but you are in the minority on this one. FCA has been kicking ass and taking names ever since the Hellcat was introduced and taking great care of any problems that have arisen with a few exceptions here and there...life is good man.
do not sweat the small stuff just pet the sweaty stuff.. er something like that.. yeah his whole car could have caught fire from some faulty whatever, but it didnt and now he is getting a brand new engine.. chillllll duuuuuuuuude lol

#17 ·
To clarify a point: it was evident that the engine was still leaking when I got home and parked it overnight and on subsequent nights. It was (who knows) just a couple of drops per hour.

I'm sort of stoic about the whole thing. Exactly, Aarcuda, I'm getting a brand new engine after getting to enjoy the original one for 2,700 or so miles. I can live with that.

Mostly I'm astounded that they are replacing the engine. It suggests to me that there is some sort of void in the block casting, or a crack, or some other defect that cannot be fixed without heroic measures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.