New from Virginia

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by Max57, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Max57

Max57 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I’ve been lurking on this forum for the last few weeks after we began considering the 2015 Challenger over the 2015 Mustang.

At first, the Mustang was going to be the car to go after with the 6 speed manual tranny. But,, we are getting older and already have leg and hip issues.

So who knows how much longer a stick-shift would be a fun factor to have. When I heard about the auto 8 speed the Challenger offers along with it’s fantastic reviews and the fact that you can manually select the different gears with the console shifter (I hate paddles and so does my wife) it seemed like a perfect solution. The only remaining thing to do was to see if the car was comfortable, a top priority! So during the last few weeks, my wife went down to our local Dodge dealer and sat in one of the Challengers. She called me and said the Challenger is clearly more comfortable then the Mustang and easier to get in & out of.

After a few more days passed, we finally test drove and SXT Plus and an R/T Plus. They both are, fantastic cars and very comfortable! We agreed that we definitely like the heavy, solid feel of the car and they both handled great on paved and non-paved roads. I was surprised how well the R/T Plus absorbed the imperfections on the non-paved road being that it also had the Super Track Pak. But it's clear to me and my wife agrees, that a Hemi has to be in the Challenger to really bring that smile out on your face, lol. Now I had to find a Scat Pack to test drive just to see what all the hub-bub was about regarding the 392.

This past weekend, I drove 2 hours to a dealer who had a Scat Pack that I could take out for a test drive. Although it was a manual tranny (we want the A8), I still wanted to see how the cloth seats were regarding comfort and if the stiffer suspension in the Scat degraded the ride comfort as compared to the R/T Plus. First,,, that 392 Hemi is "FANTASTIC"!!!! The exhaust was music to my ears! Who needs a radio when you can listen to those exhaust tones, lol. I was able to let her rip a bit on an empty side road and felt like I was in a rocket. I had hit 85 mph and was still in 3rd gear before I realized!

Any way,, the base cloth seats were comfortable and the ride clearly was more harsh, but not really uncomfortable. For the extra power of the 6.4, I could definitely get use to the stiffer ride.

Now I also wanted to try the premium seats, as comfort is one of my top priorities. The only Challenger they had with the premium seats was an SRT. As soon as I sat in those seats, I noticed they were even more comfortable, and the steering wheel in the SRT was very, very nice! I didn't go more then 500 feet when I could tell the SRT's ride quality was much more 'road compliant' then the Scat. The suspension was set to 'Street' which would clearly be my preferred setting. Between the standard premium seats and the adjustable (softer) suspension, it now looks like I'll be going for an SRT! (I still can't believe I'm doing this!) After doing a side-by-side build of the Scat with all the options and the SRT equipped equally, I was only a bit over $3,000.00 apart. The SRT, to me, clearly has the performance of the Scat 6.4 and the ride/seat comfort of the R/T plus.

We're both 64 and wanted a Challenger when we were married back in 71 (of course, we couldn't afford one back then). This new Challenger is clearly a nice trip back in time and will hopefully, be our retirement send-off. If we move forward with the purchase, (which we probably will) the car has to have that, "Fun Factor"! The SRT clearly fits the bill!

Sorry for the long-winded intro. Hope it wasn’t too boring.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello Max57, and welcome to the forum! I enjoyed reading your intro, as it helps me learn a little more about you and your wife! I know that you both have excellent taste in cars! :D Enjoy that car, they are fabulous!

April

• Like Like x 1
  3. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome Max, nice story. The really nice thing is how easy it is to get out of the car which I need

• Like Like x 1
  4. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You won't be disappointed with a srt,, there amazing cars

• Like Like x 1
  5. F6F-3

F6F-3 SRT Hellcat Owner Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome and a WhooHoo to you on your SRT.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Max57

Max57 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I'm in Palmyra, Lake Monticello. Only 15 to 20 minutes outside of Charlottesville. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. WindowShaker

WindowShaker Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm in Locust Grove, just west of Fredericksburg. Less than an hour from C'ville.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Max57

Max57 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    The three of us have got to get together. Maybe there's more owners in our area as well. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Max57

Max57 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I'll do my best to be there! :)

10. WindowShaker

WindowShaker Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Most definitely! I know there's one, maybe 2 Hellcats in the Stafford area. Unfortunately, I can't make this Saturday. I'm getting my second round on my new tattoo from 6-9 in Fredericksburg. Hope to meet you guys soon!

• Like Like x 1