New guy here

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by jtCHARGER, Jun 6, 2016.

1. jtCHARGER

jtCHARGER Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello,

Its kinda hard to ask this question in your local community when its mostly Mustangs I thought maybe I would have better luck here. I've been wanting to get an opinion on the Scat Pack and 392. I would get a Hell Cat but I commute so thats probably not the best option. What is the main difference? I currently have a Charger but Ive been thinking of switching over to the Challenger.
    What are some of the averages in mpg?

• Like Like x 2
  2. 1BDHCAT

1BDHCAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mpg depends on how heavy your foot is!;)

I average between 4-7.

Some members are posting 18-26

A couple hundred horsepower, exhaust, bells and whistles are just a few headliners.

The cat is amazing.

I test drove the scat pack and went with the cat.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jtCHARGER

jtCHARGER Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Thank you for the reply!

Its interesting because of how much power the HellCat has. Not sure if it would really fit me as a daily though.

4. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello, and welcome! Although the Scat Pack and the 392 are both fine cars and the same engine, the difference in price is big. I have not driven a Scat Pack, but I have owned the 392 and I loved it. The 392 is going to have more "bells and whistles" as far as options, but other than that I have been told there is no noticeable difference between the Scat Pack and 392.

I recently traded my 2015 Challenger Hellcat in on my 2016 Challenger Hellcat (to get the color I had been lusting after for several years), and while I was waiting on the 2016 to be shipped I was given a loaner Charger R/T. Although I enjoyed the Charger, my heart belongs to the Challenger.

As far as a daily driver, the Hellcats are shockingly well behaved in/around town. The major difference is that when you need the extra power, it is there in abundance. The Hellcat exhaust is MONSTER loud in comparison to the stock 392. Insurance was no concern because at my age (turning 50 this year), sex (female), and driving record (no accidents and no traffic violations), there was less than a $20.00 a month difference between the 2013 Challenger 392 and the 2015 Challenger Hellcat. The gas mileage between the HC and 392 is not noticeable in day-to-day-around-town driving.

It basically boils down to personal preference and wallet flexibility between the 392 and the Hellcat ... especially if you take into consideration a gently used 2015 Hellcat, because they ARE out there (I am not the only crazy person that traded a '15 HC in on a '16 HC, there are several of us on this forum alone). :)

April

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. BD2DBONE

BD2DBONE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey you can always drive it in 500HP mode but...you won't. My wife drove mine and wondered what the big deal was. We switched seats and I showed her, scared the crap out of her. Can be quite docile and lots of guys use as a DD. If you can afford it, it's great, if not this time around you can't go wrong with the 392 or Scat Pack. I'm getting 15.5 mpg.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    First of all good morning and welcome to the forum from upstate New York. The hellcat if driven normally and not under load so to speak can get mileage that is very good. The mileage could be closer to even a 392 or scat pack. Scat pack has a bigger engine size than the hellcat. 6.4 vs 6.1 also

Auto vs manual is also in play

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great advice and options for you to consider; you've come to the right place for your research. Hope you stick with us on the forum and in the community.

• Like Like x 3
  8. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome!!! April77 pretty much made my post before I could. She nailed it.

I have a Challenger Hellcat. It's big and roomy. It's super comfortable and easy to drive. It's mileage will be dependent on how YOU drive it;).

These cars make great daily drivers. I'm putting about 1200 miles a month on mine. I drive it mainly just to ride around and TORMENT other car guys
    in my area:). So if you need to haul lumber or building materials, not so good. If you need to haul people, groceries and BUTT, it's just the ticket!

• Like Like x 3
  9. MattG

MattG Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You can use your HC as a daily if you need to. The mileage can be great up to 20+ mpg depending on your foot.
    You already drive a Charger, so you know how they handle.
    Depending on your age, driving record, and insurance rate you should check into the changes of having one would be affordable or not.

I am a senior so this is my bucket list item and most satisfied driving one in traffic. Either choice you make is livable in my opinion.

Matt

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. chuck

chuck Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome and everybody have you great input on the cars . Your foot will control your gas mileage . Daily driver no problem in the Hellcat. Enjoy the Forum you will get your answers. Seem many that had the 392 upgraded for the Hellcat . I would make sure on what you really want and buy it and be happy.

Chuck

11. m5biemer

m5biemer Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Mine's a daily right now, but my commute is only 10 miles round trip. Gas mileage is pretty miserable but mainly due to my driving habits. It would only be a weekend ride if my commute was much longer.

12. jtCHARGER

jtCHARGER Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you all for the responses. I commute 20 miles one way. Its a really easy 30 min drive but the rush hour is usually a pain. Thats why sometimes I question upgrading to a Scat/SRT/HC. I have to take my car in for servicing soon so ill definitely be checking out the cars as I wait. I would really like to roar through the streets in a HC mainly since there is none in my area.