new member researching the Hellcat and the srt392

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by carcass, Sep 7, 2015.

1. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello all,
    I'm currently test driving Challengers, have driven the SRT 392 automatic and a 2015 392 manual both with sunroofs, and an RT with no sunroof. I'm 6'4" and need the headroom the sunroof is out. The Challenger is the only muscle car that fits, the mustang and Camaro are way to small.
    I tried a CTS-V Cadillac for a couple days, a sedan with a manual, it is a fine car but difficult for me to get in and out of, and when I have the seat where I need it the steering wheel is way to far away, it wont come back far enough, so its out.
    I'm a classic car guy with a 66 Chevelle.
    But I need a good daily driver and am having a bit of a midlife crisis too. So HP is in!
    I've registered here to get some answers to questions about these cars and do some good reading
    Thanks
    Carcass

2. Teo

Teo Judge Yooper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello, and welcome to the forum!

April

4. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome, I traded my 2012 392 for a Hellcat, very very happy.

just saw a 2015 today a the gas station and it was nice but did not sound any thing like my Hellcat, Go with the Hellcat and be happy

It is worth the extra cost

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Go with the Hellcat. It is a blast :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome! Good info on the CTS-V Cadillac as I had wondered about that car but I am like you and not a fan of cars that are hard to get in and out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ljaviation

ljaviation Self proclaimed Banned, Because I can.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Traded my 2013 392 for my cat. I fall in and out of my Miata and Honda Dels Sol. I find it funny. Challenger Hellcat is a whole different animal, made my 392 feel like a toy.
    L J

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the debate .
    Odds are u won't be able to test drive the Hellcat.
    For the money and fun you will be amazed what the SRT does.
    And the SRT gives you better MPG, Technology Package and different looks from the stand point of front end and wheels.
    If your all about going to the track and racing or just want to say u have the baddest ass car for the money than buy the Hellcat. Otherwise the SRT will give u great satisfaction and I have 2 of them. And I could have 2 of the Hellcats. But felt the SRT image.jpg was the correct decision for my use.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  9. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Since you considered the Caddy we can remove the cost from the consideration, good.

You could get the SRT and you will always say damn, I really should have done the deal. So the other day we are passing a car. I was using about 500 hp worth of throttle. Of course politely passed the car. Well, there were miles of smooth road clear in front of me, clear day, all is good, I go WOT (understand that will only occur for mere seconds with the power that results please), she immediately says, "oh wow, that feels real different". The car is an absolute beast dude.

Buy the HC, you then have satisfied both of your questions positively; bought the SRT - Yes, bought the HC - Yes. Go for it!

• Like Like x 1
  10. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    that's sound advice!
    I'm planning on tracking my car locally, and was wondering if the SRT392 car is a better handling car on smaller autocross tracks and in city driving due to its reduced weight over the nose.
    I'm leaning heavily on the Hellcat now.
    I was firmly planted on going with the Manual trans. but after reading many different reviews and opinions the auto sounds dang good. I can't heal/toe worth beans and braking late and downshifting a manual car into a corner is challenging (get it "challenging"?)
    If anybody can expand on downshifting into a corner with either car it would be appreciated.

11. ljaviation

ljaviation Self proclaimed Banned, Because I can.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    From my track experience and schooling, brake straight, downshift, turn in. If your downshifting during the turn you will have weight transfer on top of your turn in, and will get the car out of shape. Smooth in, fast out. Brake hard straight in, turn, on the gas thru the apex, and track out. On a high power car, late apex, basically slower going in the corner and accelerate mid corner out.
    That's what I was told.
    I'm not a racer, but it works for me on HPDE's, and I have some seat time.
    And I catch Gt Mustangs in the technical portions of the track in a 91 Miata..
    My .02
    I'm sure there are others here who have more track experience than me.
    Most of my track time at VIR.
    L J

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hollywood

Hollywood Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Had a 392 on order and almost kept it. Stuck it out and waited for the HC. Happy I did!

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Hellcat is a rock star and you get everything that goes with that if you buy one. I guess this status may change the more Hellcats are made available or something faster comes out but for now it is like " I'm with the band". When you buy the Hellcat you not only buy the car you buy "the total experience" Only you can decide if that's for you and if it is worth the price of admission.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Max66

Max66 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello Carcass. I owned the 2015 392 A8 and just traded it for a Hellcat M6. The choice in cars will depend on what you want out of the car and how much you want to spend. Obviously the Hellcat hp is superior and definitely noticeable. And with a noticeable price increase. Both cars are driveable as a daily in my opinion and both have or can have the same equipment, minus blower of course for 392. Seat of the pants, they feel different and I'm not talking about hp difference. Of course this is my personal view but the Hellcat feels heavier, more solid. The 392 feels like a Hellcat light. The Hellcat is noticeably louder inside the cabin and I mean "significantly" louder. I love it. The rides are similiar in all modes with the 392 maybe a little softer in default mode.
    For me, When I would drive around in my 392 and see another 2015 Challenger, I would have to look and see if it was a Hellcat. Trying to convince myself I didn't need a Hellcat and secretly wishing I had one. The 392 is a great car, tons of horsepower, a nice ride and sophistication. The Hellcat has all those but their is a rawness to it, in a good way. Its the Apex predator, and you can feel it, even sitting still at idle.
    Hope this helps a little. If you have specific questions about the two, let me know. I'll try to help.

• Like Like x 2
  15. kwikkar

kwikkar Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have to say that I test drove the 392 SRT and it was a great vehicle, but I ordered the Hellcat because I am a HP junkie and love muscle cars. Dealer just called , said it arrived today and I will pick up in morning. Go big if your on the fence or you'll regret it. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1