New Rearend...

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by PhantomWorks, May 19, 2016.

1. PhantomWorks

PhantomWorks Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpeg
    I know there has been a couple post about rearend noise. I definitely appreciate the insight you guys give as I wasn't sure what I was hearing and after reading other post decided to take it in and get her looked at. I took it in last week and they said they were going to resplace it. So the new one came in Tuesday and I take it in and drop it off. They start Wednesday and then I get a call. The new rearend casing has a crack in it. So it will sit their for a couple more days waiting on another new one to get shipped on from Detroit. Should be here Monday. To go on my service guy has a Challenger HC and has already replaced his rearend and said it makes the same noise. The dealer is very interested to see if mine does as well, to see if the one they put in the Challenger make have been shipped bad or if mine will make the same noise. I will keep you posted.

2. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am sorry to read that you are having issues. Very frustrating that your HC has to sit at the dealership longer because of bad replacement parts, also. I am curious to find out how this one turns out. Hang in there, hopefully it will not take too long until you are back out on the road!

April

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 4510

4510 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What dealership you having the work done at?

4. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Had a conversation with a Service Manager at a very large dealer yesterday. He says every one he has driven whines. Every rear end they have changed whines too. Talked with an SRT tech one year ago after delivery, same deal, advised me to live with it. The gear lash and gears are responsible. Over time it may change tones and speeds too! Sorry, but that is what more than one has told me and it is consistent with the same symptoms my past Jeeps have also displayed.

5. Jettster

Jettster Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I picked my 2015 up used with 988 miles and original owner babied the car-not a spec of rubber under the fenders, tires all even light wear.
    I noticed the whine on the way home on highway-once trans is in 8th over 50 with just the right load on it and radio turned down-so I am inclined to agree with...they all do that!

• Like Like x 1
  6. PhantomWorks

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Rick Keffer in Yulee, love those guys!

7. PhantomWorks

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You typically do not hear the gear lash you speak of in auto's. I honestly don't care i just wanted to get it documented. Chrysler said replace it.

8. PhantomWorks

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks April! just talked with them and the new rearend came in today and should be ready for pickup in the AM. I really don't get bent about warranty work. My mantra is "take your time and just fix it right" it also helps that i have such a good relationship with my dealer.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. PhantomWorks

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    it also helps the first two days they gave me a Grand Cherokee SRT8 as a loaner! My wife loved it!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. PlumCrazyHellCat

PlumCrazyHellCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I bought a truck from them. Sales department was great and the service department ripped me off. They were paid to do an oil change and fuel filter change on my Cummins equipped Ram truck and did not change the fuel filter but claimed they did. May want to keep an eye on them. I didn't go back after that...

11. Speedman

Speedman Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Change the gear lube to 75 /140 and it will get quieter it worked for me,

12. PhantomWorks

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah I've never had any issues. They have done everything to all my cars, cam, heads, transmissions, oil changes. What makes you think they didn't change your fuel filter?

13. PlumCrazyHellCat

PlumCrazyHellCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For one, it only took them 15-20 minutes to do the whole job, which is impossible when you're dealing with 12 quarts of oil, an oil filter and two fuel filters. If the person was really fast they could get the oil changed with some help. I took the truck to a dealer in Green Cove Springs and had my suspicions verified and they also changed the fuel filter.

14. PhantomWorks

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Hmmm. 20 minutes I could change your oil and fuel filter and have lunch. Sorry to hear you think they ripped you off. How do you know it wasn't the dealer in Green Cove Springs? My point is how would they know it wasn't done? The reality is none of it matters if you believe it that's all that matters, but i cannot help but ask the question.

15. PhantomWorks

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Speedman I appreciate the insight, but it doesn't bother me. If that is how it is supposed to sound so be it. Just wanted to make sure it was documented so when they get down the road and decide its an issue I have it documented. What had me concerned is Chrysler know its a problem, but they dont know what the "probelem" is and why are there a couple people that get the "just deal with it" and others are getting new rearends? Whether they replaced mine or not and if it is still making the noise after the new is installed I will take it back just to have it documented. I totally understand those with manuals, there is always a little feedback when you are transistioning between gas and brake. But the auto always maintains constant pressure on the rear so we really should not hear the same.