New site member with a 392 from Tulsa...

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by PerfRacer, Nov 5, 2015.

1. PerfRacer

PerfRacer Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey folks, how's it going...

Though, I'm part of a number of forums. I became part of this one, because it seems like a great place to be, and learn more about Dodge's latest masterpiece, while mingling amongst individuals with the same automotive interests and ride of choice. Thanks for having me.

I'm current on my seventh, and easily most enjoyable SRT. A 2015 SRT392 Challenger. But, I'm on my way to a Hellcat once all the price gouging and "market adjustment" games stop, or reduce dramatically. They're even asking $70K for used ones in my area. In any case. I'm a car enthusiast. I like most anything with wheels and an engine. It may offend some, but I hold no super-specific brand loyalty to any one make. I've really only owned GM and Mopars my whole life. That being said, GM hasn't really produced anything that fits my needs and wants to pry me away from my Modern Mopars. Parked next to my Challenger is a '71 GTO that was an original 400/4-speed car. But, now has a "warmed-over" 462 complete with round-port heads, and an M22 "Rock Crusher" 4-speed backing it up. I've owned this car since 2006, and it's funny to look at all the photos of the cars that have come and gone in my driveway, including every SRT I've owned. But, the GTO is always there lurking in the background of the photos. The only cars I would wish for more in it's place were either of my '68 Charger R/Ts, or '70 GTX.

If some personal history matters, I'm originally from NY, I've been into cars since I was really young (my parents told me three, but I remember from five. lol The first chance I could, I bought my first two cars, even before I could get a license ('71 Challenger R/T, & '68 Charger R/T) In the past I've managed some performance shops, I've been an automotive writer, photographer and test driver for a number of different magazines, (yes, High Performance Mopar was one of them back in 1996-2000. lol), I've done SLP Performance Parts marketing for a time and worked with a number of other shops in the industry. Though I still do some things, I don't really deal in the industry anymore. Came to Oklahoma for some schooling and have been here ever since.

Some of the early cars I've owned along the way include;
    '71 Challenger R/T: Orange, 383/727/Dana 60 w/3.54s (pretty sure the rear wasn't original)
    '68 Charger R/T: Triple Green, 440/4-speed/Dana w/3.54s (Track Pack car). Even had steel wheels that were matching green w/"pie-pan" center hub caps
    '72 Grand Prix SJ: White, 455/TH400/10-bolt w/3.23s
    '70 GTX: Sublime: 440/Hemi 727/Dana 60 w/4.10s (Super Track Pack car). Air Grabber car with high-back buckets, 15x7 Rallies, and factory coolers on everything including the power steering. Really miss this car.
    '78 Trans Am SE: Black/Gold, 400/TH350/10-bolt w/3.23s. Hurst Hatch car
    '81 Turbo Trans Am WS6: Burgundy/Gold, Turbo 301/Metric 200/10-bolt w3.08s (301 grenaded on the way home, put in several 400s after that)
    '70 RA III GTO: White, 400/M22 4-speed/12-bolt w/3.73s
    '77 Trans Am: Red, 400/TH350/10-bolt w/3.23s
    '68 Charger R/T: B5 Blue/White, 440/4-speed/Dana 60 w/3.54s (Track Pack car) "Mr. Norms" car. Another regret selling
    '72 GTO: Gold/White 400/TH400/10-bolt 3.23s

That's the very short list of early muscle, but most of the best. Most were drivers, but a couple were projects.

Some of the more modern rides include;
    Seven 3rd Gen F-bodies, including an '88 Formula 350: White/Red (1LE car), '88 Iroc: Red/Black 305 TPI/5-speed (1LE car) very modded into the mid 11's with a TPI 383 & Paxton supercharger, '89 Turbo Trans Am (modded to go mid 11s), and some others

Three 4th Gen F-bodies, including a '94 LT1 Camaro Z28 Auto (modded to go high 12s), '96 Formula 6-speed (modded to go low 12s N/A, and low 11s w/NOS), 1998 Camaro SS 6-speed (very modded to go high 10s N/A)

Fast forward to most recently, it's all been Mopars. Starting back in 2007 with my first '07 TorRed Charger SRT8, 2008 B5 Blue Super Bee #884 (problem car dealer couldn't fix, but took in on trade for the next car), 2008 Brilliant Black Charger SRT8 (sold to go home and take care of mom during chemo treatments), 2009 TorRed Challenger SRT8 6-speed, 2012 Header Orange Challenger SRT8 A5 auto, 2014 Bright White Challenger SRT8 6-speed...

My current Granite Chrystel Challenger SRT has obviously proven itself to be the best of the bunch (of the modern Mopars), even with it's issues (miss-aligned hood, mysterious dents all over, possible radiator replacement, and possible updates to the TCM, & PCM). The car's got every possible option, which is nice. It's also equipped with an A8. I go back and forth between that being the right move. I do really enjoy rowing my own gears in these cars. But, that A8 is really impressive. I was also really tired of the wheel hop and slight grind going from 1-2, and 2-3. Or, as Chrysler/Tremec calls it "nibble". Thankfully I have my GTO to row gears on when the need arises. If I didn't have that, I would have most definitely have had a 6-speed. Funny thing was that when I went to go buy this car, I was originally going down to buy a Phantom Black, 6-speed car that had no real options except Nav. I really don't ever want a Black car again, and didn't want the lack of amenities in a $50K+ car. The dealer made me such a great deal on the car I now have that I couldn't pass it up. Happy I didn't.
    I don't plan to go too crazy with this car (yeah right), as I do plan to get a Hellcat one day. But, some of the usual bolt-ons will ensue, Hellcat air box setup, or my carbon fiber Arrington setup, mid mufflers removed, possible 84/85mm throttle body, and an unlocked PCM from DS, since I already have a Trinity, and then a custom tune. Some BT parts under the hood, along with a Mopar strut tower brace, & door sills, and a Drake silver/black fuel door.

Thanks for reading my ramblings. I guess I kinda went on a bit of a reminisce while typing this. lol

Attached Files:

• 041.JPG
      041.JPG
      File size:
      2.3 MB
      Views:
    • 043.JPG
      043.JPG
      File size:
      2 MB
      Views:
    • 064.JPG
      064.JPG
      File size:
      177.3 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello, and welcome to the forum! LOVE the granite Crystal ... so sparkly! (My husband's RAM is Granite Crystal) That is quite an impressive list of cars you have owned, I am envious!

April

3. White Trash

White Trash BMF Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member HCC National Vice Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome Aboard !!
    Nice Hot Rod !!

4. Rocky_Rhode

Rocky_Rhode Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I absolutely love my 2015 SRT; like you hellcat prices in our neck of the woods are crazy with dealers asking upwards of $30k over MSRP.

While I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon, I do plan on some aftermarket mods next year. Hoping that Procharger tests and releases the I-1 for our Hemi's. Really like the concept of a variable boost supercharger that gives you the option of purr to GRRRRR!!

5. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome
    you have some great rides

6. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice to have you and your rides with us here on the forum!!!

7. PerfRacer

PerfRacer Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the warm welcomes. Very much appreciated. If only I still had some of those previous rides. If only. lol

Rocky_Rhode, I've considered (considering) going that route in the future as well. I believe there have been a couple of 600+ rwhp ProCharger 2015s done now. But, for how long? To get those numbers they're pushing 8 psi, and I don't think I trust the stock pistons that much. lol One of the biggest benefits to the Hellcat itself is how it's built to make and reliably sustain the power it does, and even a bit more. I think a supercharged 392 could make the same power as a Stock Hellcat, or really close to it. Just not sure how long some of the stock components will live at that power level (pistons, rods, transmission). But, like you, if the pricing doesn't become realistic at some point, bolting on a blower will probably be the solution I look to. lol

With the supercharger, I would also install/convert whatever parts are different regarding the Hellcat's fuel system and cooling system. If funds permitted at the same time, (or at some point in the future) some drop-in pistons and connecting rods with ARP bolts. The only other possible issue then is the transmission. I would look to possibly find a Hellcat take-out piece, or start putting together the funds to cough up the $7K cost for a new one, once the stock one gave up.

8. Rocky_Rhode

Rocky_Rhode Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The 8HP70 that our SRT's have are rated for 700HP & 700# torque; granted the 8HP90 that the hellcats have are much stronger at 900/1000 respectively.
    I have read that kits do exist for our transmissions to beef up the internals, and I do agree about putting in forged pistons, rods, and likely a new crank. Heads on the hellcat got some love too.

One thing that does separate us a bit from the Hellcat is our ability to grow incrementally thereby gaining some fairly substantial increase in HP/Torque, while I consider the Hellcat pretty much the total package. Given the delta between what I paid for my SRT and what the current dealers are asking for the hellcat leaves a good amount of funds to grow with.

9. Angel

Angel Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome, my 2013 Challenger Srt8 was granite Crystal too but I traded it in for my pitch black hellcat. I do miss that car and the color.

10. PerfRacer

PerfRacer Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agreed on the extra money for sure. But, those transmission ratings you mentioned are for Newton Metres, not ft-lbs of torque. The 8HP70 (700 Nm) is only rated for 516 ft-lbs. of torque, while the 8HP90 (900 Nm) is rated for somewhere between 650-660 ft-lbs. Now, those ratings are for prolonged abuse and usage, and better than 100k mile normal usage. So, the occasional trip to the track, or putting your foot in it every now and again at a stop light, so to speak isn't really an issue. In a sense, they can handle more then they're rated for. Look at the Hellcats that are making close to 750-800 rwhp and better than 700+ ft-lbs. of torque. I haven't read anything anywhere about them blowing blowing up at this point. The 5AW580 automatics in the 2014 cars and earlier was only rated to 580 Nm, and those things could handle 500-550 rwhp/ft.-lbs. of torque before starting to show any signs of slippage, and that's with some track abuse. So, though it's possible for our transmissions to live behind 600 rwhp and torque, it will be shortening their life span to some degree, depending on how much they're abused. lol

11. PerfRacer

PerfRacer Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks Angel. I have really taken to the color for sure. I usually like the "in your face" colors. I've had TorRed, Header Orange, B5 Blue. If I was to order a car the way I wanted, and picked the color, I might have gone with B5 again, Sublime, or maybe even Redline. But, this Granite has really sold me. It can be classy, muscular, sinister, etc. The metallic is very intense, and the black accents (stripes, tint, etc) really compliment it well. Black is always very cool, and sinister. I just never want to have to maintain that color again. lol :D

12. chuck

chuck Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the Forum I'm sure you will enjoy exchanging story's with everybody . Very nice write up.

Chuck

13. PerfRacer

PerfRacer Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks Chuck. I'm sure I will.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PlumTexasCrazy

PlumTexasCrazy HELLCAT LIFE MEMBER Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great car I'm jealous!!! Love that color!!

15. PerfRacer

PerfRacer Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks otex!
    What's funny to me is you have a Hellcat in the exact color I wanted, and you're Jealous?? lol o_O I assume you meant of the color. lol
    Let me tell you, I'm jealous of the exact car you have. :D Thanks again, though.