New to Dodge and planning an SRT 392 Charger purchase

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by srtjay, May 30, 2016.

1. srtjay

srtjay Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Hope you all don't mind me hanging around with the big dogs trying to learn a few things :)

New to Mopar and Dodge in general. Always admired their vintage muscle cars from the '60s and early '70s. Fell in love with the sound of the 392 Hemi (and the Hellcat). Hellcat's a bit out of my price range for now and the car will be a daily driver that the wife has to be able handle too, so the SRT seems about right. In valet mode.

I didn't see any substantial and active SRT-related forums out there, and HC.org seems more like what I'm used to in a car forum. I've learned a bunch already just lurking here the past few weeks, so finally decided to sign up.

I'm curious if there is a cut-off to when Dodge dealers can no longer place 2016 orders or how the whole ordering process works for SRT & HC Chargers and Challengers. Planning to continue researching that, but if you have a link to throw my way or some info to share, it would be appreciated. Same goes for pricing, if there's anything particular to Dodge dealers to be aware of.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello, and welcome! Nothing at all wrong with a 392 ... I still miss the 2013 392 I traded for my first HC. Wish I could have kept it, but at this phase of my life it is not practical to have 2 Challengers.

April

• Like Like x 1
  3. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    All I know is pay MSRP or walk. Do not pay any sort of dealer mark up because that is some bullshit. Also, 485 horsepower is still a lot of horsepower. I've had mine since January and I can bet you I haven't utilized even that much since I've had it. It's a fun ass car regardless. Another thing, if you don't care about all of the extra upgrades you can save quite a bit of money just getting the scat pack. Just some things to consider.

• Like Like x 2
  4. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good morning and welcome to the forum from upstate New York. There is a wealth of information here that will help you and make you a better person and owner in the future for your vehicle
    The member in he hellcat forum are very passionate and it is a big community of brother and sisters. We love our cars and wish you the best of luck.
    Take care and be safe

• Like Like x 2
  5. chuck

chuck Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your 392 they are a very nice car . I check them out when I visit Dealers to check out there Hellcats and pricing on them. We do have a sight here for 392 scat packs visit it and I'm sure you will enjoy it also. I am sure you will enjoy the Forum lots of good people on here and great information to share. Enjoy the Forum and when the time comes and you can upgrade to the Hellcat you will know lots about the Hellcat. Your wife will need to be careful with the 392 also it is a powerful car also and some people that haven't drove cars with lots of power will get surprised . Be safe and enjoy your 392.

Chuck

• Like Like x 2
  6. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the forum and community. There are many that can help you in your 392 or HC quest...you've come to the right place!

• Like Like x 1
  7. HadesGata

HadesGata Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm not sure when the ordering cutoff is but it's pretty soon, then if you do order a car, by the time you get it, summer will be just about over. IMO you might as well wait until the new model year.
    On the other hand, there are a lot of these cars out there, so with a little time put into searching you should be able to find one without too much trouble.
    Regarding pricing, these things aren't exactly flying out the door. Most working folks wages have remained stagnant or have gone backwards for the past number of years. With that in mind and the overall status of the economy, some may consider it foolish to pay anywhere near msrp for a scat pack or 392 hemi

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ResumeSpeed may be able to tell you when the cutoff date is for ordering a 2016 Charger SRT392.

You will love the SRT392. It's a great car!

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. F6F-3

F6F-3 SRT Hellcat Owner Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome! You WILL enjoy the 392! If you are in or close to Ga., look up Peach State Challengers on FB.

• Like Like x 2
  10. FLEX

FLEX Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Welcome.

I am sure you'll be happy with an SRT 392. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What Hades said. I have purchased two, a '15 and a '16. Found a '15 SRT 392 car in stock on a dealer's lot last yr. had it in a week.
    Ordered a '16 Hellcat This year and waited 11 weeks. Only ordered it because no one had any on lots at the time for MSRP. I'd bet money there are SRT's on lots right now and at MSRP or less. I wouldnt order one this late unless i lived out west.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics Silver Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the forum!

Nick C.

• Like Like x 2
  13. srtjay

srtjay Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Thanks for all the welcomes! I'm in the Southwest so winter just means nicer weather and getting a car after most of the summer has past would be okay. :)

I tried out Truecar.com recently and got a contact back from a dealer offering to sell me a Scat Pack at a surprisingly low price. Definitely tempting, but going to have to drive one back to back with an SRT 392 to compare.

edit: Diode Dynamics, I saw your brand repped on RP Productions' (Riley with the PCP Charger's) YouTube channel. Neat products.

14. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Ignore the comments above about paying MSRP. That's Hellcat talk. I paid $250 under invoice ($1800 under MSRP) for my custom order SRT 392 Charger. Delivery time on the SRT's is also much, much, much faster than the Hellcats. There are guys on this forum who ordered their Cats in February, and are still waiting. I ordered my car Feb.2 and was driving it by Mar.1, so about 27 days.

You will love the SRT 392. It's simply sublime. Pay the extra coin for the Laguna leather seats and the Technology Pack, and you'll be thrilled every time you sit in it.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the site...as already mentioned you should get a substantial discount off MSRP not counting any rebates. I wouldn't bother driving an SRT back to back with the SP unless you plan to road course race. Power train is the same. The SP has history in it and looks sharp.