Newbie launch help

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by shadowsk, Apr 25, 2016.

1. shadowsk

shadowsk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi, I have some wheels coming from Triumph with some drag radials and will be going to the Drag Strip soon. Right now completely stock A8. So yesterday I went out to learn more about the Launch Control and trying to figure that out. Also I have read on here some are starting to 2nd using the paddle shifter. My questions are:

1) I got into launch control just fine by quickly flooring the gas pedal. I was only able to do it twice but do you keep it floored the whole time or do you let off a little after you get going? I kept it floored the first time and had massive spin. The second time I let off gas a little before starting and it cancelled LC. What's the proper way to use LC?

2) At a stop I clicked the paddle shifter into 2nd and eased into it but it felt like it was not going to shift and around 4k rpms and let off. Does it shift higher than that? I was in sport mode. What's the proper way to start in 2nd gear?

Thanks

2. HemiNole

HemiNole Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I will tell you what I have picked up over the last month or so.

Launch control: This function isn't really useful for A8's. You will get much better times doing it on your own. Personally I doubt it is all that useful for manuals, but I can't confirm that. Maybe someone with a stick can chime in on that.

Starting in 2nd gear: I have not tried this myself yet for its effectiveness, but the way to do it is, put the car in manual mode, put it 2nd gear, launch the car, then move the shifter back into auto mode so it can finish shifting on its own.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and Custom setup for drag racing is Track for transmission, Sport for traction, and Street for suspension.

3. shadowsk

shadowsk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks...I just got back from trying again. Agree Launch Control is useless. But it was my understanding you just come to a stop flick the paddle into 2nd and it would shift on its own? Mine will not do this it stays in 2nd. Can anyone else confirm you need to start in manual and move it over? I was just starting in 1st at 1800 rpms and ran a 4.4 in Sport Trans, Street, Street. Tried Tracks trans once and ran a 4.6 but I spun bad in 3rd...was probably to aggressive. Would like to try the 2nd gear start if someone can confirm I need to move it over to manual. Thanks again.

4. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The launch control is for girlie girls...unless you have installed a 3.09 rear you need to put your car in drive and practice launching....roll into the throttle as fast as you can without breaking traction...drag radials make this easier...

If you really have to launch from 2nd gear put your trans into auto stick and move to 2nd. After launching wait until the rpms are at 5800 then hold the shifter to shift up moving it to auto for the rest of the trip.

• Like Like x 1