NHRA 2015-2016 amendments

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Racing Forum' started by GrndFnk, Mar 5, 2016.

1. GrndFnk

GrndFnk VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Was wondering if anyone has any comment on the latest NHRA amendments, and
    whether we have a legitimate argument on not getting tossed for running 10's
    at an NHRA (or IHRA) track when all stock and using drag radials ?
    I knew about the rule change 2008 and up, but didn't know they allowed drag radials.
    The excerpt is from page 8 of the amendments.
    I will have an aluminum drive shaft installed but wont say anything about it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 3
  2. GrndFnk

GrndFnk VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know this has been brought up before several times, but I thought I would put this info here for people to print out and keep with them if they want to.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    wow interesting!

4. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Additionally, requirements and specifications for Street Legal are the same as those for the Summit Racing Series with the following exception. Unaltered 2008 OEM model-year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series roll-bar and roll-cage requirements,. Note: Tires used may be other than OEM, but they must be DOT approved. Other changes/modifications to items such as but not limited to intake air systems, exhaust systems, computer programming from the factory OEM equipment are considered "alterations". As such 2008 and newer vehicles with changes/modifications must meet the Summit Racing Series rules. All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series helmet and protective-clothing requirements.

• Like Like x 2
  5. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In the previous rules, the term "alteration" was never defined, now the term is defined. No idea how you enforce it but it is defined.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So you would need a SFI approved Jacket. As well as a Helmet.

I am glad they defined alterations as being pretty much being power enhancing mods. Because in the past they were considering drag radials an enhancement even though it flat out makes the car safer and DOES NOT create more power.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DB2

DB2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Norwalk (summit motorsports park) here in ohio is a NHRA sanctioned track & i spoke with them the other day and they said exactly what the rules say, NO points events. TnT & street related events only. Helmet & jacket down to 10's no problem.

Another place here Quaker city (IHRA) is still on the fence about it, i wanted to run in their "heads up" series (no points, just loot) but i either have to run street tires & stay slower than 11.50, or move up a class with drag radials & get a roll bar.....LOL......even though i ran at least 80 times there TnT last year without any issues. They are still thinking it through i guess.

IHRA rules read almost verbatim to NHRA except they dont mention drag radials as an allowable alteration.