Nissan GTR crashes while racing Ferrari 458 and hits innocent bystander car

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Carnage, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Old video but crazy

2. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That sucks! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah definitely

4. ChallengerDad

ChallengerDad SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    99% of accidents involving "super-cars" on the public road ways can be attributed to driver error or driver inattention.
    NEVER accelerate hard through or out of a turn. Accelerate AFTER the wheel/car is straight coming off of a turn.
    NEVER even glance at your cell phone while driving. Pair your phone to the U-Connect system and use it.

My job involves responding to emergencies and accidents on the Interstate Highways in Upstate New York. We get a lot of heavy volume here (very "touristy area"), and I get a lot of calls to respond to. The last fatal was on the evening of "Travers Day" at Saratoga Race Course.
    NYSP estimated the driver of the Viper was doing ~140mph when he buried the nose of the car into the guiderail. The car cartwheeled down the shoulder of the road after flipping over the rail. It took two trees down (both, about 16" diameter) about 10' off of the ground. The car came to rest at the base of the second tree. The passenger escaped with a concussion, two broken ribs (from the seat belt), and minor burns from the fire that erupted when the car finally "landed". The driver wasn't so lucky. He has "pronounced" at the scene.
    The only way you could tell it was a Viper was by the exposed engine (very distinctive). Two wheels/tires remained on the chassis. The other two wheels, as well as every body panel were ripped off of the car during the accident.
    I just missed seeing (and maybe being involved in) this accident by less than two minutes. A friend with a Detonator Yellow R/T was following me home from a Challenger Club BBQ at a member's house when we came upon the scene. I got called back to the scene within five minutes of getting home.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL, folks! I hope to never meet another drivers' family under these conditions - especially one I met through events related to our cars. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's scary!!! Thank you for your good words CD. Hope others drive safe and defensively in case others act up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ChallengerDad

ChallengerDad SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It is scary. I've been to too many of these things - and unfortunately, I'm sure many more before I retire.

Weird thing is, while I was standing in the middle of I87 securing the scene, I was thinking to myself "I just ordered a high-powered muscle-car a few weeks ago...... Did I do the right thing?" I decided I did.
    I don't use poor judgment on the public roads, and I usually err on the side of caution when I'm unsure of a situation. The driver of the Viper was going WAY too fast, putting his passenger, the public and himself in danger. If justice was served, he's the only one who perished because of his bad decisions.

BTW.... I get copies of the accident reports for insurance purposes. SP suspected "alcohol" as a "determining factor" in the cause of the accident.

7. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah idk why but this reminds me of Paul Walker's gruesome car scene photos with his friend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    All very sad. Certainly not the type of chaos I partake in. that type of racing is for tracks only. ;) Never drink and drive, lost my best friend in college. I always am designated driver and will even come get friends that call and wake me up and never complain. I would rather they were safe! :)

• Winner Winner x 1