Nitto NT05R

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by phil hunter, May 22, 2016.

1. phil hunter

phil hunter Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Anyone running Nitto NT05R 315/35/R20 tires on their cat? If so how well do they bite? Currently I'm running Nitto NT05's all around; 315/35/R20 on the rear and 275/40/R20's on the front, but I can still spin the rears pretty easily, so looking for something with more traction. Other choices are Nitto 555R and Mickey ET Street SS, but both come in 305/35/R20 size.Think it might be a good idea to stick with the same type of tire?

Phil

2. shadowsk

shadowsk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I can let you know in about a week. I have a set of 20" Nitto's NT05 (275/45 front) NT05R (315/35 rear) shipping Wednesday. Also have 18" MT ET Street 305/35 coming as well. I'm going to run the Nitto's on the street and the MT's at the strip.

3. Tire God 2.0

Tire God 2.0 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    MT #1
    NT05R #2
    NT555R #3
    Also running the regular NT05 on the front is the best to keep stable handling at high speeds.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chippy

Chippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I run both NT05 and R's. The R's definitely hook way better but suck for anything other than straight line. Don't call me crazy but I actually think the R compound has been lasting as long due to less slippage all the time?

5. Tire God 2.0

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Less slippage means the tires are gripping and leaving the rubber on the ground like they are supposed to. But I suppose if the other ones were being white smoked every single time its possible they would last longer haha.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chippy

Chippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't do burnouts just drive rather spirited and have been surprised how fast the NT05 has worn and how much the R's have lasted. For my next set I might try the New 555's in the 315 size as have more tread to start with when the NT05 done but I love the R's for the track and the odd encounter.

7. Tire God 2.0

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The 555G2?

8. Chippy

Chippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes Nitto site showing 315 size now but don't know if that means you can actually get them. I'm in Canada which sucks on many levels right now.

9. Tire God 2.0

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That tire will not get good traction in comparison. Probably the same or worse than the stock Pirelli Pzero Summer tires.

• Like Like x 1
  10. upnorthstar

upnorthstar Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Kal Tire is a Nitto dealer they can order them

11. Chippy

Chippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow. Kinda figured but coming from you that seals that. I guess the 200 uhp rating is what a guy is stuck with over most brands to maintain traction as best as possible.

12. Chippy

Chippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I hope you don't work for Kal. I don't want to insult anyone but that is definitely one of the things that suck here in Canada ;)

13. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Are you talking about street driving or drag racing?

For drag racing with the tires you have now I would start out at 18 psi and do a good 4 second burnout. I am talking 6000 RPM in second gear and a One One Thousand Two One Thousand . . . . . . . . . . . If needed I would go as low as 15-16PSI. It should hook. Also fill your gas tank and put some weight in the trunk.

14. phil hunter

phil hunter Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Talking about street driving. I will use MT's for racing. I went with the 315/35/R20 NT05's thinking that they would provide more traction on the street and they do, but the tires still spin if you get on the car going 20 mph. I did not expect this. Was wondering if the NT05R would be OK on the street and how much traction they provide.

Phil

15. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes the NT05R's will be better. I misread your question. The advice I gave was for NT05R's.
    Nothing that fits a Hellcat will hook up 100% on the street. It's just not the same prepped and rubber covered surface as the track.
    I have 305/45R18 Et Street "R"s and if I stab the throttle at 50 MPH on the freeway (ground smooth concrete) and the car goes to second gear, it will spin. That is the most sticky tire you can get. It will stay hooked if you roll into it slowly, but what fun is that?
    If you want more traction and you can deal with them wearing out fast I would definitely do the NT05R's. But be aware a member on here burned through a set of Mickey Thompson's in 200 miles. So, if you are "on it" and you do not feel you are spinning, it is still wearing the tire A LOT. Only way to make them last is to drive normal the majority of the time. I run Drag Radials 100% of the time on my car. I don't even have the OEM stuff any more. But I almost never punch it on the street and NEVER any static burnouts on the street. I only do burnouts at the track with water getting ready to make a Pass.
    DSCN1893.JPG