No Hellcat for me, but I did make the best of it...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by unixadm, Sep 13, 2015.

1. unixadm

unixadm Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Well I have been #1 in line for a 2016 Charger Hellcat, got an order in on August 17th, cancelled and no ETA now. So fast forward a couple of weeks and I had been looking at trading my 2014 Durango R/T AWD in Bright White and all options for a 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Laramie Limited. I was literally ready to pull the trigger today but I really like the Durango and I need a tow vehicle.

For giggles, I decided to search cars.com for Chargers and saw one that caught my attention. A 2015 Charger Scat Pack that was fully loaded showed up on my search. Low and behold it was the same dealer where I had bought the 2014 Durango R/T, so I shot them an email. They came in at near invoice since I was a prior customer but then I used my Chrysler Affiliate program number to see what that would do. I ended up at 1% under invoice. Now they normally sell these for $5k over MSRP or at least try.

So I started running the numbers and found that even though I had planned to put $30k down on my Hellcat, I could pretty much keep the Durango and buy the Scat Pack while having basically the same payment as the Hellcat. So I started thinking about where I wanted to be financially - super crazy Hellcat and a lot of vehicle debt or I can have two really nice vehicles without quite as much fun. I decided on the later.

2015 Charger Scat Pack in Ivory White Pearl. This was the color I was ordering on the Hellcat. It has the upgraded Nappa Leather / Alcantara Ruby red seats, Beats audio , Technology Group, Driver Confidence Group, Sunroof and Navigation. Did not come with summer tires or the black roof which I'm OK with.

Overall, it drives great, sounds great and the coolest part was doing the deal. Fremont CDJR did a great job and they had the car ready for me after a 120 mile drive to pick it up. They do love to markup though and they have a B5 Blue Charger for like $99k with a sticker of $69k. I kept telling them, make me a sweet deal and I'll get this clunker out from in front of your showroom doors. They didn't seem to go for it... oh well.

All told from arrival to departure it was about 30 minutes. They had all of the paperwork printed and ready to roll. The neat part was letting my step dad drive it back to Sacramento but he didn't know that until the time was right. He has only purchased one new car in his life and that was in 1977. It was a 1977 Dodge Charger Daytona in like two tone silver/black with some striping tape on it. He drove that thing for like 250k miles and loved it. Not quite the performance champion on the road but I know it hauled me around many places back in the 80's and early 90's. So today when I went down, I didn't even test drive the car. I looked it over, ran inside and signed the paperwork. I tossed him the keys and said "You're driving it first and off of this lot just like you did back in 1977". He looked freaked out, but let's just say he buzzed me a few times as I drove my soon to be off lease 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport. I think he was having a good time because when we finally made it to my house and he got out of the car, he was like "All I can say is F!#$#@ this thing is fast!!!!". Now he drives a Toyota Tundra, anything is going to seem fast but he loved every minute of it.

I finally got to drive it when I took him home and other than it being a bit stiffly sprung, I really like it. Sounds great, handles good, is PLENTY fast. It will destroy the tires at will, so now I finally have a replacement for my C63 AMG that I sold a few years ago. :) I'll post up more pictures tomorrow since by the time we got it, it was starting to get dark and we wanted to get back on the road. It's not a Hellcat and yes, I'm sad. However it's still a hell of a car for the price. I got this thing for $45,150 or so and out here in CA, finding anything with an SRT engine at or below MSRP is tough. The one cool thing about the Scat Pack is it has an SRT engine but you are not excluded from using affiliate programs to get a discount. So it's kind of the best of both worlds, but I do wish it had adjustable suspension. Can't have my cake and eat it too, but I do still have the Durango in the garage. :)

In all of her glory!
    [​IMG]

Pop's crapping his pants about driving my new car home! haha
    [​IMG]

Action shot... What the hell.... I thought he was following ME?!?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Dances With Empties

Dances With Empties Gold Member

Where rednecks are nervous of hillbillies
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats!!!

3. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great write up and congrats on the Scat Pack!

4. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very Nice new car and makes you feel great when you get a good deal!

5. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Grtz! Love that 2015 Charger, especially in white. Enjoy!

April

6. DodgeMan

DodgeMan Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    That car looks nice!
    Here at dealers in my area, the 392s & Scat Packs are starting to pop up. Probably the last of the '15s.
    I know a couple dealers that have several. One dealer has 9 SRT powered engines on his lot.
    Honestly thought about buying one cause they have at least one of the colors I like and the options are what I need.
    Just been thinking about waiting until the 2016s hit though....

7. Fastcat ny

Fastcat ny Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's what life's all about memories !!! Something neither of you will soon forget.... Class act enjoy the car

8. 559hellcat

559hellcat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good job brother, I have a 2015 Hellcat Challenger that I love and am in the process of heavily modding right now but I can tell you from personal experience they have been difficult and expensive to come by here in California, I live in Fresno. My brother in law was in the same boat as you, it would have been a huge financial stretch for him to buy a hellcat and one did come available here but he bought a scat pack challenger and he loves it. Great exhaust note, fast, he is happy as I am very sure you will be with your charger. Congratulations.

9. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great story. Sorry you didn't score the Hellcat you wanted but you can never go wrong with a Scat Pack. They rock. Plus you have the best of both worlds in that you were able to keep your Durango. Good luck with the new Scat Pack.

I like that Pops is leaving you in the dust LOL....

10. unixadm

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks guys. I found out when he got home he called all of his buddies to tell him all about the car and how fast it was. haha. He had fun and it was a cool experience.

I did mention in my original post that it rode a bit rough, but come to find out that the tires were over inflated by about 13 PSI. I backed them down to 34 PSI on all four corners and it's MUCH better now. All of the tires were 44-47 PSI cold. No wonder it rode so damn rough. :rolleyes:

Now the mods begin. Going to do a little rebadging, add heated/cooled cup holders, LED interior lights, LED exterior lights where they don't already exist, window tint, etc.

Also online, I did not like the Ruby Red interior pictures when I saw them. However in person, it looks pretty sweet and adds a lot to the interior. So I'm glad the car had that option because at first I wasn't really interested in this particular car because of that but I have since changed my mind!

Oh and who's to say that I can't get a Hellcat later on. At least I got the 5/100k warranty with the 2015 Charger. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. DodgeMan

DodgeMan Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Nice, I may have to take a look at that Ruby Red again in person.

12. unixadm

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Here are some additional pics after I washed the car. Put about 60 miles on it today, fun times. The only thing I would say is the TCM programming is a bit clunky at times, especially at part throttle in 1st thru 3rd gear. I'm assuming this has the latest updates since it was built in August. Maybe with time it will learn.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  13. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice pics. I like the white with the red and black interior. Very sharp.

14. unixadm

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks. I just ordered a Tazer to enable more of the SRT features on the car. :)

Let the mods begin!

15. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great looking car,,I have the same interior, when I went into the dealer this time last year I ordered a sublime,, then I seen the video with jay Leno driving the red car with Rudy seats, and I was sold, called the dealer and asked if I could change the seats he said can't get those in a sublime,, so I ordered torred, the next week my car had a vin,, and car was built in less then a month, Oct 15th...

• Like Like x 1