No key fob but hellcat still runs

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Kilpo, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Kilpo

Kilpo Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So I just let one of my good friends drive my hellcat for about 10 minutes and when he got back he forgot to hand me my keys back. I got back in my running car and he got in his and we both headed home in different directions. About three minutes into my drive back home I noticed there was a message where the speedometer is that said "key fab has left the vehicle", I then realized my friend didn't give me my keys back. Unfortunately, my friend didn't have his phone on so I wasn't able to get a hold of him.
    I'm a little disappointed that I was able to drive the Hellcat all the way back home (about 45 minutes away) without the car shutting down due to no key fab. Don't get me wrong, I'm relieved that my wife didn't have to run another one of the keys to me and I was able to make it home but, I would have thought the car would have died. For security reasons I would of thought the car would stop running.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow I would have never thought! I can say I have left my cat run at a gas station hundreds of times and thought it was ok because I had the key fob.
    Thanks for posting!

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Bananahead

Bananahead Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My wife's Audi A6 did this as well. I drove off after dropping her off, forgetting that she had the key fob in her purse. Made it all the way home.

4. 1BDHCAT

1BDHCAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very good to know!

5. cfuels25

cfuels25 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The car wasn't dining at you the whole time? I have a brand new ram and Chrysler 300 and it dings the whole time if I take the keys out....you can drive the car across the country without the keys just don't shut it off lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    as far as I know most of the fob key car does that (but there's a beep or message on DID.. car key missing or not found).. I've a experience with Lexus, Nissan and Dodge lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ArchGE

ArchGE VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Prob. be too dangerous to just have the car die out of the blue somewhere. At least if it was stolen it would be a one way trip and not start again after shut down.

8. Jim M

Jim M SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Never tried it but I understood that the car would run for about 10 minutes and then shut down.

9. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I for one have never paid attention to the dining or lights flashing when I drive . But I pisses my wife off that I can for some how totally zone out that annoying seatbelt sound.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Kilpo

Kilpo Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've been married for 22 years, you start to tune out quite a bit after that. Jk.

There was no sound indicators with the no key fab, just the message in the display.

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. BD2DBONE

BD2DBONE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm surprised the industry likes the key fob.

We have 2 station cars and I used to leave a key in the glove for the opposute car just in case I had to leave early and grab the car with the car seat in it. Can't do that now because when parked in the driveway the key in the glove would mean both cars are open and apparently can be started and driven off.

Also, with this setup you can walk off with the car running. I haven't done it but that's basically what happened to the OP. Wouldn't happen with an old school key.

I don't see how the fob is an improvement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You could actually drive across the country without a key fob. You can't ever shut it off, we have plenty of customer that done this over the years. At much smaller distances

13. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My BMW's are like that too. You can keep going UNTIL you shut the car down and then you are screwed (no restart).

It sort of makes sense. If the keyfob failed in someway when you were driving down the road you don't want the car to just die. That could be catastrophic in the wrong situation. I think it's a sort of 'fail safe' mechanism.

I'm more worried that I can't shut my A8 off in anything but Park. Seems dangerous to me that I can't put it in neutral and shut her down if I feel the need!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    In order to enter a locked vehicle, a valid FOBIK must be detected within range (approximately 5') of the front door mounted antenna on the side being accessed.
    In order to start the vehicle, a valid FOBIK must be detected within the passenger cabin.
    If the two vehicles are parked in extremely close proximity, the FOBIK in the left vehicle's glove box may be able to unlock the right vehicle. I highly doubt that the FOBIK in the right vehicle's glove box can be used to unlock the left vehicle's right door.
    The only way I see this working is if both passenger doors are in close proximity to each other. Then, this would only allow to unlock the passenger door of the other vehicle. The valid FOBIKs would still need to be swapped in order to start the vehicles.

15. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is the way the keyless go has worked since day one, at least in the Challenger. I'm surprised people are still surprised by this.

• Winner Winner x 1